The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] Coyotes gauging market on Jakob Chychrun

Friedman in his 32 Thoughts:

[...]

Several sources warned last weekend not to proclaim a trade to Los Angeles as close to completion, and they were right. Where the information breaks down is why the two sides haven’t been able to close. One theory is simple: that the Kings have a standing offer, and the Coyotes don’t like it enough to accept. Another is more complicated: that some contracts needed to be moved, and the two sides couldn’t make it work. Whatever the case, too late to make a Valentine’s Day match.

The Kings have made it clear — both internally and externally — that Quinton Byfield and Brandt Clarke will not be traded.  

So if not the Kings, then who? Boston’s considered the idea, but I don’t know how likely that is. Other clubs that make sense, but appear to be out include Edmonton, Florida and Toronto. I’ve wondered about Winnipeg. But, as you may have seen on Twitter, Columbus makes a lot of sense.

The Blue Jackets pulled Vladislav Gavrikov from the lineup — also for trade-related reasons. We’re now more than 24 hours since that happened, and I spend waaaaaay too much time on social media to believe in coincidences. Columbus absolutely can pay the price Arizona covets (not including their 2023 first-rounder, of course) and would have even more asset power should Gavrikov be traded first.

The issue: I don’t think Chychrun would be happy. At all. That’s an enormous sell job for the Blue Jackets, especially because he was promised a trade to a contender. Columbus wants to send a message to its fans this season was unacceptable, but it’s a long road back. 

So, we wait. So does Chychrun, and every second must be excruciating.

1. A couple people have asked if this trade included Karel Vejmelka. As you would expect, I believe his name came up. We’ll see what happens, but early indications are that it made the move much too complex. 

2. Gavrikov doesn’t fit the Kings, unless he agrees to an extension. But he’s interested Boston, Edmonton and Toronto to some degree. (Always assume there are others I don’t think of, or uncover.) The other rental lefty I wonder about for this group is Seattle’s Carson Soucy. The Kraken aren’t Krazy about simply letting him walk. 

3. From a competitive standpoint, where does this take us? Because Chychrun seems comfortable with Arizona’s move, the NHLPA probably wouldn’t interfere. Commissioner Gary Bettman’s brushed aside questions about players sitting out, but those were occasions where the trade came quick. This is uncharted territory. Some executives and coaches pointed out that both the Blue Jackets (Minnesota twice, Winnipeg, Dallas, Edmonton, Buffalo) and Coyotes (Tampa Bay, Los Angeles, Calgary, Nashville, Dallas) are playing teams either battling for the playoffs or jostling for seeding/home-ice advantage. One, maaaaaaybe two games would be understood. But we go longer, and there is a legitimate discomfort. Andre Tourigny has the Coyotes playing hard, though.

Edited by mll
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Canuck Surfer said:

Yes.

Their obligations to all our cap dumps is done.  We owe $30 Mill plus to OEL.  

Yup done after last season.  And they got an additional 1st round pick for their troubles.  Great drafter.  Horrible at virtually everything else (remember Elias was looking completely lost under Benning's hand picked head coach Travis Green).

On 2/14/2023 at 1:06 PM, Mustard Tiger said:

Friggin AZ always takes over a year to make a deal happen. I'd assume they are busy looking at another Costco 30 pack of matching suits for the draft again.. 

I can’t wait to see what they wear for this summer.. lol

• There it is 1

All this talk about LA, Edmonton, and Toronto going hard for Chychrun. I have a feeling a darkhorse team like Buffalo is going to sneak in and acquire him. 

To Buffalo: Chychrun, Crouse, and a 2nd

To Phoenix: Savioe, Ostlund, Mittelstadt, Jokiharju, and a 1st

Chychrun - Dahlin

Power - Samuelsson

Klague - Lyubushkin

2 hours ago, shiznak said:

All this talk about LA, Edmonton, and Toronto going hard for Chychrun. I have a feeling a darkhorse team like Buffalo is going to sneak in and acquire him. 

To Buffalo: Chychrun, Crouse, and a 2nd

To Phoenix: Savioe, Ostlund, Mittelstadt, Jokiharju, and a 1st

Chychrun - Dahlin

Power - Samuelsson

Klague - Lyubushkin

Although Chychrun fits their timeline, that makes their top-4 all lefties. Dahlin does well on his off-hand, but I don't think Samuelsson has played much right-side.

Those teams are most heavily rumored because they have a clear need for an upgraded LHD in their top-4. I expect Buffalo to focus on adding a RHD. In fact, if Edmonton ends up with Karlsson, and has to shed Barrie to do it, I could see Buffalo trading for Barrie. Helps them push for a playoff spot, and he might fit in well next to Samuelsson.

6 hours ago, Canuck Surfer said:

Yes.

Their obligations to all our cap dumps is done.  We owe $30 Mill plus to OEL.  

They still got two big pieces back for a player who will probably be an avg player in the NHL, if he's lucky.  In fact, he's not even in the NHL atm

45 minutes ago, D-Money said:

Although Chychrun fits their timeline, that makes their top-4 all lefties. Dahlin does well on his off-hand, but I don't think Samuelsson has played much right-side.

Those teams are most heavily rumored because they have a clear need for an upgraded LHD in their top-4. I expect Buffalo to focus on adding a RHD. In fact, if Edmonton ends up with Karlsson, and has to shed Barrie to do it, I could see Buffalo trading for Barrie. Helps them push for a playoff spot, and he might fit in well next to Samuelsson.

I’m pretty sure all of their top 4 defensemen can play both sides. I’ve seen Power paired with Dahlin and Klague, playing on the right-side. He’s currently paired with Samuelsson, playing LD. Dahlin has played the majority of the season with Samuelsson; both lefties.

Chychrun also has played on the right-side, when he was paired with Goligoski and in junior. 

I think people put too much emphasis on the LD/RD combination. Look at our 2011 team, 3 out of our top 4 defensemen were left-handed. 

Edited by shiznak

26 minutes ago, stawns said:

They still got two big pieces back for a player who will probably be an avg player in the NHL, if he's lucky.  In fact, he's not even in the NHL atm

Lol.

2 big pieces that almost everyone on CDC wants to get rid of.  That JR/PA would probably like to trade out if they could.

Think most here would now want that cap space and draft pick instead.