The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Canucks hire Derek Clancey as assistant GM

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

1 hour ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

Makes sense to get this move done early so Rutherford has a trusted lieutenant and sounding board as he makes his assessment of the roster over the next month and a half.

Clancey comes from a pro scouting background (Pro Scout, Director of Pro Scouting, Director of Player Personnel) and was instrumental in helping JR make the moves needed to bring in the final pieces to build those Cup-winning teams in Pittsburgh.

JR - exploring some trade, possibilities ?

55 minutes ago, EternalCanuckFan said:

Derek Clancey was presumably a part of many of the trades involving pro players that the Penguins made during Rutherford's tenure.  I presume that doesn't include Marino since I'm pretty sure he was still in College when they acquired him.

A bit of a mixed bag of trades: 

• Zucker hasn't really panned out nor did Galchenyuk (who was part of their package to acquire Zucker), although Zucker is still a decent top-9 forward (but overpaid). 
  • Rodrigues was a decent pick up although they did trade him to TOR in the Kapanen trade before re-signing him. 
  • Pettersson and Matheson (notwithstanding how much Canucks fans might hate him) were decent acquisitions though. 

There many more trades but those are the only guys who are still with the team.  Many other players were acquired and then let go.

It will be interesting to see if the Canucks will be as active in the trade market.  Rutherford's group made a few large deals but also many smaller ones so we could see a fair bit movement in the supporting players (including in Abbotsford) if the Rutherford's (and now Clancey's) history with the Penguins provide any indication of what we could expect.

Yeah, I was also looking at the transaction history, in PIT and it wasn't impressive perhaps, the reason is, that they had the main pieces and they were looking for players to complement there core (?).  Anyways, hopefully, they can learn some lessons from there past, that will make sense for the Canucks.

1 hour ago, The King of Kings said:

In this case, it looks like "Assistant GM" is not the same as "assistant to the GM".

GM is a job position reporting to the President.

Assistant GM is another job position reporting to the President.

Both positions serve different functions.

I suppose. In my mind, I assumed the AGMs all reported to the GM, but maybe that's not how it's structured.

2 hours ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

Makes sense to get this move done early so Rutherford has a trusted lieutenant and sounding board as he makes his assessment of the roster over the next month and a half.

Clancey comes from a pro scouting background (Pro Scout, Director of Pro Scouting, Director of Player Personnel) and was instrumental in helping JR make the moves needed to bring in the final pieces to build those Cup-winning teams in Pittsburgh.

To be honest @SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME; I am not that impressed with his scouting or pro scouting record while with Pittsburgh. You can check it out at quanthockey.com. Granted they were drafting later on in each round but I just do not see much there that impresses me.

I hope he proves me wrong about him though.

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

In a Machiavellian sense, Rutherford also gets a trusted lieutenant and sounding board in the room for meetings which he (JR) might not otherwise be in attendance. This could be useful if the successful candidate for the new GM job is someone who is not a trusted associated who has previously worked with Rutherford.

regards,  G.

1 hour ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

Jim Rutherford:

"We are building a front office with people with a variety of backgrounds. Derek has excellent experience and has played an important role on three Stanley Cup winning teams. He will be a key member of our leadership team as we create a progressive, collaborative hockey operations group that can support our team and players at all levels."

This sounds awesome. Like a pro is building a pro front office. LOVE IT!!!

• Like 1