The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[GDT] December 19, 2021 GAME POSTPONED (Was Arizona @ Vancouver) - PLEASE KEEP IT TO HOCKEY RELATED TALK

Rate this topic

Goal:thecup

14 minutes ago, tas said:

I wouldn't trade those highs and lows for 50 straight cups. it's what makes being a fan what it is. complete euphoria, utter emptiness, and everything in between. 

I don't know, I'm jealous of Boston sports fans...like UrinatingTree said: "Can you believe that there are 9 month olds who have not seen a Boston team win a championship?"

10 minutes ago, Rindiculous said:

I don't know, I'm jealous of Boston sports fans...like UrinatingTree said: "Can you believe that there are 9 month olds who have not seen a Boston team win a championship?"

there aren't any fees or tests involved if you want to convert. 

• Haha 4

2 hours ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

This should be considered positive news.

Noah had a couple of wiffs but thought he filled in quite well.

I hope he continues to stay healthy and is able to carve out a pro career.

I forgot how good of a prospect he was until almost losing an eye and missing basically two years. He fills a need and just needs to play a ton of hockey.

I think this break will be a blessing in disguise, 

We should be almost fully healthy and have had lots of practice instead of icing some very thin defense during a stretch that could define our season

• Cheers 3

5 minutes ago, Alienhuggyflow said:

Anyone else stoked to see the black unis coming back?

What a good omen to rock the same ones that the 94 team wore.

For me those jerseys all of them the yellow ones included will always be what I connect most with.

Tho I gotta say the WCE Era which I hated have shot up the list, they were so unique no team had anything like them

I am....I loved that jersey.  '94 team.  My young son wearing his in a picture of he and Pavel back in the day.  

During those playoffs I made a super awesome homemade cake and did that logo.  Candy corn, etc...it turned out really good.  

The black just looks so sharp.  I'm happy it's making a revival.

• Like 2
  • Cheers 2
  • RoughGame 1

3 hours ago, Alienhuggyflow said:

Anyone else stoked to see the black unis coming back?

What a good omen to rock the same ones that the 94 team wore.

For me those jerseys all of them the yellow ones included will always be what I connect most with.

Tho I gotta say the WCE Era which I hated have shot up the list, they were so unique no team had anything like them

Yeah even recently they rocked those jerseys brilliantly, and along with the current bright blue orca and their various maroon jerseys, the black ones are high on my list too.

Canucks feel best is yet to come as they await return to play

VANCOUVER – More than half an hour after their final practice ended and their extended holiday break began, a handful of Vancouver Canucks players were still on the ice, reluctant to leave. They were just playing, having fun.

J.T. Miller, Quinn Hughes, Conor Garland and Elias Pettersson were staging shooting contests. Pettersson seemed to be winning. Captain Bo Horvat was out there for a long time, as well. Others lingered.

It’s like they knew it could be a while before they’re playing hockey again.

The National Hockey League, with about 20 per cent of its player workforce in COVID-19 protocols, on Monday extended the Christmas break to five days. The Canucks, three days removed from their last of six positive tests, are supposed to report back to work on Boxing Day and be ready to play a home game Dec. 27 against the Seattle Kraken.

But about the time they finally came off the ice on Tuesday, the B.C. government was announcing another round of sweeping restrictions as the Omicron wave builds. It doesn’t seem to matter that the great majority of us are now vaccinated against the coronavirus and that the effects of this latest variant, although preliminary, seem to be less severe for those infected with COVID-19.

The NHL is going dark this week.

Unlike when that first giant coronavirus tsunami washed ashore 21 months ago, the league has a firm restart date. But as we saw in that bleak and frightening spring of 2020, as our hospitals began to fill up and schools and workplaces emptied, long before vaccines were available, there are no guarantees.

And so those Canucks played like kids, staying out on the ice long after coach Bruce Boudreau left to talk to reporters on Zoom.

“I used to love staying out as long as I could until they kicked me off (the ice) when I was playing,” Boudreau said. “And when players are doing that, it tells you that they like being around the rink. When you see players leave as soon as the practice is over and without a smile on their face, then it becomes a troubling situation. But our guys right now seem to be having fun. And to me winning is fun. So I mean, if we keep winning, they'll have a lot of fun.”

That is part of it for sure, probably the main part.

The Canucks won their first six games under Boudreau, who replaced Travis Green on Dec. 5, before Vancouver’s final four pre-Christmas games were postponed.

This week’s avalanche of cancellations is partly why the NHL and its Players’ Association have agreed not to send players to the Beijing Winter Games, so that the Olympic “break” in February can now be used to help complete a revised 82-game NHL schedule.

When he was finally dragged off the ice to participate in the media availability, Miller said: “I just think guys are trying to sweat out a little bit extra for the holiday beers. We've got four days at home. It's definitely more fun when you're winning, coming to the rink. Over the last couple of weeks, we're playing well but. . . I still think there's a little bit more to our game, which is exciting.”

“When you're coming to the rink and it feels like a grind and you're not having fun and you want to get out of here, you're not going to be bringing your best,” Hughes said when asked about the extra-curricular activities. “When guys are having fun and really enjoying each other's company, that's when you know things are good.

Earlier, the defenceman explained: “Guys are now excited to play, hungry to play, playing hard. Like you see the way Brock (Boeser) is playing and some of the other guys, I feel like they just found that hunger and excitement and fun -- enjoying the game again. And that's how you know you're going to get guys' best, including myself. I think the morale was good. We always knew we had a good team.”

Hughes and Miller were brought out at the media’s request because both were near-automatic picks to play for Team USA in February, but neither had invested enough in the prospect of going to Olympics to be crushed by the looming announcement that NHL players will be staying home.

“I didn't feel like I knew I had a spot on the team or anything, so I definitely didn't have my hopes up,” Miller, who turns 29 in March, said. “It would have been an awesome experience. But it's also a situation where there is a lot going on in the world right now, so I think we did it for the safety of the players and the players' families.”

“Coming into the season, I didn't like how the season went last year,” Hughes, 22, said. “So my whole mindset and the reality was I was just focused on this season and trying to have a good start to the season. And I wasn't really too consumed with the Olympics. Of course, if I was able to go and the players were able to go, it would be a really cool experience to represent your country and play at the highest level.

“But I think as far as not going, there's too many things unknown. Obviously, it's not up to me... but I think it was probably a good decision. And we owe our (NHL) organizations the chance to be here and play here and be healthy and ready to go.”

Until Canucks owner Francesco Aquilini contacted him shortly before firing Green and general manager Jim Benning, Boudreau was working with Hockey Canada to be part of the coaching staff at the Spengler Cup in Switzerland, the Christmastime tournament from which Team Canada has now withdrawn.

“It's a shame,” Boudreau said. “I think the world loves the Olympics as far as the competition goes. We as Canadians always feel that we're the best and so we love to go there and prove it. But at the same time, safety first. I totally understand if they decide not to go. The thought of potentially quarantining in China for anywhere from three to five weeks is not very exciting. The lure of the Olympics is still a tremendous lure and I'm sure there's players (who) want to go, but I think if they decide not to, I understand the safety reasons that they would want to stay here as well.”

As a first-time B.C. resident, Boudreau said he will spend the holiday break exploring the mountains. With a car, not a backpack, he clarified.

Canucks president Jim Rutherford, living out of a hotel room since following Boudreau to Vancouver, plans to travel home to Raleigh, N.C. to spend Christmas with his wife and kids. But he’ll see Boudreau and the players back in Vancouver on Sunday.

Everyone hopes.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Cheers 1