The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Vancouver Canucks at Anaheim Ducks | Dec. 29, 2021

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

7 minutes ago, JM_ said:

we are a good team, but we're too thin to survive a full run imo once the heavier playoff games begin. I just think we need one more big, skilled body up front and some shoring up of the right side for a solid run.

I'm not convinced yet.   Want to wait and see.   Making a move now is too early in the game.   But yes, if we do make it into a playoff spot before the TDL, i'd for sure buy too.

Edit:  I do agree that we are too thin.   What's the cost going to be to go for it this year and next year?   Who the heck cares if it gives us a cup.   I'd do a decade of Buffalo for that actually the rest of my life.   NYR traded away so much future for their cup run and it almost failed.   Sure none of their fans give a sh!t for it.   We could trade a couple firsts, Klim and others to shore up our D - but where is the cap coming from?  Injuries maybe.    

Edited by IBatch
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, appleboy said:

I don't think there was anything written about Green treating Shaw badly but their was a report that the players said they weren't sure what Shaw's job was. Green didn't seem to use him. He did not have a defined responsibility.

The defense looks like they were reborn under Shaw. I think it is the biggest change for the club. 

Letting Baumgartner destroy the defence was an insult to Shaw.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2

3 minutes ago, DrJockitch said:

Man, just goes to show you how bad we were. 9-1, 7 wins in a row and still in 7th in Pacific. 
At least now we are getting to the point we can pass some teams and actually need to start worrying about things like games in hand. 

Yes.   Still a lot of territory to gain. 

2 minutes ago, IBatch said:

I'm not convinced yet.   Want to wait and see.   Making a move now is too early in the game.   But yes, if we do make it into a playoff spot before the TDL, i'd for sure buy too.    

I was thinking all that might have to happen in the off-season. I would love to see what these guys can do right now for sure. Even just making it back to this point is a big accomplishment.

All the covid game shuffling is the wild card now. If we end up with some good luck facing a struggling team or two this can get pretty interesting pretty fast. Also the games vs Edmonton should be like playoff games now too.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, JM_ said:

I was thinking all that might have to happen in the off-season. I would love to see what these guys can do right now for sure. Even just making it back to this point is a big accomplishment.

All the covid game shuffling is the wild card now. If we end up with some good luck facing a struggling team or two this can get pretty interesting pretty fast. Also the games vs Edmonton should be like playoff games now too.

Me too.   If they are in a spot before the trade deadline, i wouldn't think of trading Miller anymore and say go for it.   Why not?  We'd have a crazy winning percentage under Bruce.   And nobody, not one team - would want to face us during the playoffs.   Best case scenario actually is we could do what TB did last year - say EP is out (until game one of the playoffs) and we could add a top six forward and a top four RHD.    We'd be sorted for a long run.  Risky but id roll the dice on that.  

• Vintage 1

2 minutes ago, IBatch said:

Me too.   If they are in a spot before the trade deadline, i wouldn't think of trading Miller anymore and say go for it.   Why not?  We'd have a crazy winning percentage under Bruce.   And nobody, not one team - would want to face us during the playoffs.   Best case scenario actually is we could do what TB did last year - say EP is out (until game one of the playoffs) and we could add a top six forward and a top four RHD.    We'd be sorted for a long run.  Risky but id roll the dice on that.  

if we're in, or even a couple of points out of a playoff spot you can't blow up this room. Rutherford probably can't add to it, but he can just let them play.

But who the heck knows. One phone call with the right GM and maybe a hockey trade happens.

17 minutes ago, JM_ said:

we are a good team, but we're too thin to survive a full run imo once the heavier playoff games begin. I just think we need one more big, skilled body up front and some shoring up of the right side for a solid run.

I am not sure that we are going to make playoff this year- TG has dug a too deep hole, and it would require a divine intervention to get out of it. But sometimes determination+hard work + a bit of luck make impossible possible. GCG!

• Vintage 1

1 minute ago, Silent Man said:

I am not sure that we are going to make playoff this year- TG has dug a too deep hole, and it would require a divine intervention to get out of it. But sometimes determination+hard work + a bit of luck make impossible possible. GCG!

that eastern road trip mid-Jan (assuming thats still the schedule?) is kind of our make or break point now. Florida, Tampa, Carolina, WSH, Nashville. Yikes.

8 minutes ago, IBatch said:

Edit:  I do agree that we are too thin.   What's the cost going to be to go for it this year and next year?   Who the heck cares if it gives us a cup.   I'd do a decade of Buffalo for that actually the rest of my life.   NYR traded away so much future for their cup run and it almost failed.   Sure none of their fans give a sh!t for it.   We could trade a couple firsts, Klim and others to shore up our D - but where is the cap coming from?  Injuries maybe.    

I agree. I am excited but I still don't think this is a serious CUP challenger so I will simply enjoy. JR and BB are a couple of cagy vets who won't have the excitement go to their heads. I still am of the belief that if JR can pull off a deal to strengthen the d-core that will be the true benefit to this season. I do not think you can win a CUP with a single 'run & gun' offence. The Canucks do not have a heavy d-side game and I don't think this roster has that in them. Obviously BB has looked at his forwards and recast the lines into a much more effective group and he should get full credit for that. His defensive core has also done very well considering the injuries, Covid and the relative inexperience of many of his replacements. 

I also remember the old Oiler "Pump & Dump" routine. Canucks just loved BJ MacDonald didn't they. I have no problem with Rutherford doing the same thing if available to him. The challenge will be selling that to a Canuck fan base who talk about serious rebuild but then scream if it might hurt playoff chances.   

• Like 1
  • Vintage 2

The season is still not even half over. The club still has the same weaknesses as before. These guys are still running on emotions.  Lots of decisions to be made. 

Do you keep and resign JT?  He is our best forward right now. 

Will Petey find his way?  If they have questions then they should move him while other teams see him as super Petey.   While his value is high.

Do you pay Boeser or can they resign him for 5.5 mil? Will he age well?

Horvat?

I am actually ok with our D. I would move Hamonic  and try to sign a couple more D like Schenn. Good size and solid defensively.  1.1 mil max.

Edited by appleboy

1 minute ago, appleboy said:

The season is still not even half over. The club still has the same weaknesses as before. These guys are still running on emotions.  Lots of decisions to be made. 

Will Petey find his way?  If they have questions then they should move him while other teams as super Petey.   While his value is high.

Horvat?

I am actually ok with our D. I would move Hamonic  and try to sign a couple more D like Schenn. Good size and solid defensively.  1.1 mil max.

If you re-sign Miller (if he even wants to stay), how much depth has to be sacrificed.  It certainly means no Horvat and probably one of Boeser or Petey as well

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 2
  • Wat 1

1 hour ago, Boudrias said:

To me the absolute strength of the Boudreau era has been his reconstituted forward lines. Each line has a particular strength that he can use during games. The top 3 lines all have a scoring threat. Of particular note is his Heavies: Pearson-Miller-Boeser combo. Hoping that Boeser is doing OK and will rejoin the club for the Seattle game. 

This. 

But I also have stopped pulling my hair out at the constant line blending.  BB has let guys build chemistry and the players can feel confident that if down by a goal the blender doesn't immediately come out.  We talk about a lack team identity, we have one now.  We aggressively come in waves at the other team and we can do this because we have 3 potent balanced lines.  

I understand that when things weren't going well Green liked to pull out the blender, but he did it so often it was to the detriment of the team in the end.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Canucks Curse said:

did we really "steal 2 points?" we outshot them quite heavily and they barely cracked 20 shots including overtime....oh and by the way... the ducks are a pretty good team this year and their goalie is a star, the Canucks typically struggle even against mediocre goalies...

Perhaps the better word is 'willed' the 2 points. This is a far cry from he team that turtled against the Sabres just months ago with a 1 goal lead.

Just remembering all the times with Green when we were down by 1 goal heading into the 3rd we knew we would lose. But being down by 1 under Brucey I actually felt calm as a cucumber. 

3 minutes ago, appleboy said:

The season is still not even half over. The club still has the same weaknesses as before.

well yes, and no. We didn't know how much was Green and how much were the players. Now we know.

3 minutes ago, appleboy said:

These guys are still running on emotions.  Lots of decisions to be made. 

Will Petey find his way?  If they have questions then they should move him while other teams see him as super Petey.   While his value is high.

Horvat?

the W column will determine most of this of course. I can't see Petey being moved unless its for a player like Dahlin, and even then I don't know that kind of move is really in the cards.

Had Gibson not played lights out for three periods, the Canucks should have won that game 5 or 6 to 1. With Boeser in the lineup, the top nine is better than many of you are giving credit for. Let's just enjoy this run, and quit worrying about something WE can't control, in fact the team can't control. We've only won 7 in a row, the most in over two years, and you folks are worried about who stays or who goes.

• Cheers 2

3 minutes ago, stawns said:

If you re-sign Miller (if he even wants to stay), how much depth has to be sacrificed.  It certainly means no Horvat and probably one of Boeser or Petey as well

I don't think Miller will get huge money on the open market. Teams do not have cap space for that.

I would try to extend both JT and Bo for around the same money for three more years. 

Petey makes me real nervous. I think teams have figured him out.  I would move him and Boeser at this trade deadline. 

12 minutes ago, appleboy said:

Horvat?

The main weakness was coaching, which has been solved by hiring an actual NHL coach.

• Cheers 3
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, johngould21 said:

Had Gibson not played lights out for three periods, the Canucks should have won that game 5 or 6 to 1. With Boeser in the lineup, the top nine is better than many of you are giving credit for. Let's just enjoy this run, and quit worrying about something WE can't control, in fact the team can't control. We've only won 7 in a row, the most in over two years, and you folks are worried about who stays or who goes.

I'm just more concerned about the grind of the playoffs, I'm not concerned about the skill or effort of the guys. Maybe I'm still too old school, but Burke has it right about the grind of the post-season. I don't think we're far off tho.