The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Vancouver Canucks at Anaheim Ducks | Dec. 29, 2021

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

1 hour ago, johngould21 said:

I believe this lineup is better than the team that took a "heavy" Vegas team to seven games, only to lose in the last 5 minutes of game 7. Talent wise, I'd say the Canuck top 9 matches any team in the West. Moving someone out might drastically change the dynamics of this roster. Healthy, throughout the playoffs would be a good thing, better than trading a Miller, Boeser, EP, or anyone in that calibre. But, we all know how injuries come into play during the playoffs. 2011 should have been, as that team was stacked, top to bottom. 

I was a real believer in Green, but, I'm sure eating crow with the turnaround two coaches have made with this roster. I've never seen Pearson skate with so much speed since he got here.

What I remember of that Vegas series was Demko stealing games. The Van d-zone was a house on fire. They were dominated by Vegas. Vancouver has to do something in their backend.  

• Cheers 2

7 minutes ago, JM_ said:

You would have to be concerned about chemistry, but replacing e.g., Dickie with a bigger more skilled player can only help imo. Replacing Hamonic with say a bigger, heavier guy can't hurt either. Although Hamonic does mix it up too. 

Would love to turn Hamonic into Edmundson. Don't know what we'd have to add?

1 hour ago, erkayloomeh said:

I agree with all of you on his positives. 

But he's still very small!!!.  If he can prove to be a playoff performer then sure keep him. 

But he's an asset and I'm all for success in the playoffs. 

Agree on all points... 

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, NHL97OneTimer said:

Unless Brock signs for less than his qualifying offer, I can't see a place for him on this team.  Good player but other guys at that pay level do more than what Brock brings, so he's down on the pecking order.

I wonder if Brock knows this and is willing to negotiate for taking less, but more term and security. 

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Boudrias said:

What I remember of that Vegas series was Demko stealing games. The Van d-zone was a house on fire. They were dominated by Vegas. Vancouver has to do something in their backend.  

In some ways that BB and Walker have been here less than a month, they've shown improvement, but, still more needs to be done. They tidy that up, and stay healthy, for sure would help.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

2 hours ago, johngould21 said:

In some ways that BB and Walker have been here less than a month, they've shown improvement, but, still more needs to be done. They tidy that up, and stay healthy, for sure would help.

Yeah. I am hopeful that Walker’s input and defensive systems will help the team’s overall defensive play be better. Green was just holding onto dear life in that series against Vegas. It almost had nothing to do with Green’s systems, and everything to do with Demmer’s heroics. The man literally almost stole that series for the Canucks. 

11 hours ago, Dazzle said:

You are completely right. This is Benning's roster that is winning 7 games in a row. Green has always been a mediocre coach, regardless of the roster he's been given. But the media will always seem to spin it like this team is poorly built from the defensive side.

But with BB, not only did we win a one goal game, our PK has vastly improved under coaching staff.

TG and folks were clearly the problem.

Well said; and Schmidt was [perhaps] the canary in the coal mind - JB ignored, the sign and doubled down on a bad decision - extending Green.

Edited by ShawnAntoski
  • Cheers 1

6 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Yes, Benning played that one perfectly.  That Hughes contract is one of the better ones in Canucks history.  And OEL's expires the same summer as Hughes becomes a UFA.  That was a perfect way to do it really.

No doubt Benning had some good hits as our GM. It’s really a shame that his patience was too much when it came to reacting to things happening around him. If he didn’t “run out of time” with TT and if he fired Green before ownership stepped in, I’m sure he would still have a job with the team. He is just too slow and looked stunned at critical times.  Good riddance.

On 12/30/2021 at 11:25 AM, Dazzle said:

Come on. One can see just how little influence Shaw had during the games. A defensive minded coach was under a questionable defensive coach in Baumer. That says it all about TG. A coach that doesn't know how to maximize what he has. It actually reflects how poor he handled his rosters actually. You could have a Vezina-like goaltender like Demko and Green would find a way to make the team look like trash.

Your description is alot different than the statement, "TG was a Dick to Shaw"

As I said speculation not fact