The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Vancouver Canucks at Anaheim Ducks | Dec. 29, 2021

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

2 hours ago, Alienhuggyflow said:

100% and  how blind was I lol but for me once I was able to see how they played away from TG it became noticeable right away.

What bugs me is Benning brings in Shsw but TG acts like a dick basically wasting a great asset that Jim brought in to help him.

That's the epitome of dumb.

Words cannot describe the incompetence of Travis Green. I don't think I will ever completely fathom how inept, arrogant and stubborn that man was. Glad some of his former supporters have enough integrity to dissect his methods & consequently admit that they were wrong. There are still many spinning the narrative that he is a good coach, just the team is now playing better because JB is gone and the players are relieved lmao

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

• -DLC- unpinned and unfeatured this topic
1 hour ago, JM_ said:

I'm just more concerned about the grind of the playoffs, I'm not concerned about the skill or effort of the guys. Maybe I'm still too old school, but Burke has it right about the grind of the post-season. I don't think we're far off tho.

People talk about trading Miller, Bo, Boeser because we cant afford them all, but what about Garland? Love the guy but he's a smurf.

Curious how he holds up in the playoffs. 

I'll like to see this team get tougher. Not a goon but I physically tough forward in place of a guy like garland. 

• Cheers 1
  • Wat 3
  • RoughGame 4

1 hour ago, Silent Man said:

After all, maybe JB was too nice to be a successful GM? And to loyal to his players and coaches?

For sure.  He was great with drafting (not perfect, but great) and assembling a decent team (note that he was transparent that he still had 2 more years of work on building the team).  I feel like there were 2 big deficiencies:

1. His evaluation of coaching staff.  I'll actually give him a pass on TG to some degree because TG had some good years of getting more out of very little.  However, I can't think of a time when I was thrilled with the assistant coaches.

2. He failed to build a management team around him.  He thought he could do it all and that backfired.  This is one thing I'm thrilled about right now with Rutherford......big management is a good thing when you are in the hockey business.  More opinions and sets of eyes are a good thing.

The latter part has me wondering whether this was from JB or Aquilini.  If the latter, he's taken a 180 degree turn.  My guess though was that JB wanted to run the show given the history with Linden and Brackett.

5 minutes ago, erkayloomeh said:

People talk about trading Miller, Bo, Boeser because we cant afford them all, but what about Garland? Love the guy but he's a smurf.

I'll like to see this team get tougher. Not a goon but I physically tough forward in place of a guy like garland. 

Seems to me that the smurf is showing the bigger guys how the game should be played.  Despite his size, he goes to the tough areas and that's where the playoffs are won.

Garland has been a beauty.  Miller and Garland are the types of players you need in the playoffs.  I would love to see Brock add that dimension to his game but it's not his style.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, erkayloomeh said:

Garland's cap hit is fabulous for what he brings.  I wish some bigger players on the team would hustle and contribute as much as Garland does.

I wish the Canucks could find a way to steal Lawson Crouse from the Coyotes.  We must have some plugs left over that AZ would take.::D

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, stawns said:

Boeser is up in the summer and by this time next year they'll have to make a decision on horvat and miller.  So, really, only a year

Isn’t it going to depend on what this team looks like by the end of the year?

Just now, Devron44 said:

Isn’t it going to depend on what this team looks like by the end of the year?

Of course, but why does that mean we shouldn't be discussing it?  And wouldn't boes be a trade chip at this deadline if they feel his ask will be too much?

Edited by stawns
  • Cheers 2

3 hours ago, Boudrias said:

To me the absolute strength of the Boudreau era has been his reconstituted forward lines. Each line has a particular strength that he can use during games. The top 3 lines all have a scoring threat. Of particular note is his Heavies: Pearson-Miller-Boeser combo. Hoping that Boeser is doing OK and will rejoin the club for the Seattle game. 

Was trying to say this all off season.   We should be rolling four lines, equal top three time 5 x 5, and using our three centers.   Was also drooling at the idea of a Motte Sutter Dickinson 10 minute per game fourth line ... didn't get a lot of traction for saying that .. "Dickinson is our 3rd line C"  the "Lotto Line" etc.   Green eventually tried  but absolutely failed by not starting the season that way, and wasting his pre-season on who's the better plug.     Will thank him for at least getting these guys to be a possession team, and lowering their shots against significantly from the Markstrom days.    Bruce is doing it right at least from this couch coaches viewpoint.   Correct line combos.   I also found OEL comments very refreshing, even when things were bad this group never stop believing in each other.    Maybe we shouldn't have either as fans. 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, RU SERIOUS said:

Call the Army out you wossies!

Lol maybe you missed the rest of my post in regards to snow.   I typed out, I would be so happy to trade what we have, for what you have.   In other words, we want the snow!!  -30 for us is any other winter day, not a city wide alert.  Unfortunately, we are getting weather in the plus.    We want the snow, we want the fun 

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, erkayloomeh said:

Until I see Garland not being able to cope in playoffs, I would not trade him, unless it was for a Kings ransom... Great deal for several more years for Duracell Bunny... He

actually seems like one of the figstiest players on the team... 

I don't see him being on his way...

• Upvote 1
  • Vintage 2

I think people are way over analyzing about Miller and his cost to re-sign. Paying 8-9m for your top forward is normal in the NHL today and is very doable for any team to do, including us. In fact I’d argue the opposite of the concern I see about his price. We’d be one of the better cap positioned teams for the future if we managed to keep our top scoring Miller under 9 on a long term deal.

Forwards paid 8m+:

ARI Kessel
BUF Skinner

CAR Aho

CBJ Vorachek

CHI Kane, Toews

COL Rantanen

DAL Seguin, Benn

EDM McDavid, Draisaitl

FLA Barkov

LA Kopitar

MIN Kaprizov

NJD Hughes

NSH Johansen, Duchene

NYR Panarin, Zibanejad

OTT Tkachuk

PHI Giroux

PIT Malkin, Crosby

SJS Couture

TBL Point, Kucherov, Stamkos

TOR Matthews, Tavares, Marner

VGK Eichel, Stone

WSH Ovechkin, Backstrom

4 minutes ago, stawns said:

Of course, but why does that mean we shouldn't be discussing it?  And wouldn't boes be a trade chip at this deadline if they feel his ask will be too much?

Yes.  We need to sign him before the seasons out and void his qualifying offer .... or consider a trade for sure.

Provost might not be happy to be 50/50 in his easy annual likelihood predictions,  but this team is far from out now.    Was hoping we had time last year to turn it around and before covid we were doing exactly that (the no EP, pre covid "bump").    Think we need to be cautiously optimistic to avoid some serious heartache and not get too caught up in recent events.    It's ok to suggest those things, but i'm sure a lot of fans really like Brock and Miller and Horvat (me too!)... it doesn't take grade three arithmetic to realize we can't possibly keep them all without subtracting something important.   That said we could just go for it too.    And if they are in a playoff spot we'd be 100% stupid not to do just that.   These chances don't come along very often.  That's probably grade 6 math.  

4 minutes ago, StanleyCupOneDay said:

I think people are way over analyzing about Miller and his cost to re-sign. Paying 8-9m for your top forward is normal in the NHL today and is very doable for any team to do, including us. In fact I’d argue the opposite of the concern I see about his price. We’d be one of the better cap positioned teams for the future if we managed to keep our top scoring Miller under 9 on a long term deal.

Forwards paid 8m+:

ARI Kessel
BUF Skinner

CAR Aho

CBJ Vorachek

CHI Kane, Toews

COL Rantanen

DAL Seguin, Benn

EDM McDavid, Draisaitl

FLA Barkov

LA Kopitar

MIN Kaprizov

NJD Hughes

NSH Johansen, Duchene

NYR Panarin, Zibanejad

OTT Tkachuk

PHI Giroux

PIT Malkin, Crosby

SJS Couture

TBL Point, Kucherov, Stamkos

TOR Matthews, Tavares, Marner

VGK Eichel, Stone

WSH Ovechkin, Backstrom

Of those guys who's actually over 30?   And who's actually earning it too. 

Edited by IBatch

20 minutes ago, stawns said:

What if we are in a position to make a playoff run. We gonna trade Boeser?