The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Vancouver Canucks at Los Angeles Kings | Dec. 30, 2021

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

Dickinson is not the 3rd line C he was hoped to be.  If Rutherford really wants to make some noise, somehow acquiring a capable C could shift Miller back to the wing (imo where he belongs) and a Miller EP Garland line could be dangerous.  Not sure who the Canucks can target but that move alone could really improve the team

• Cheers 1

Just now, Angry Goose said:

Dickinson is not the 3rd line C he was hoped to be.  If Rutherford really wants to make some noise, somehow acquiring a capable C could shift Miller back to the wing (imo where he belongs) and a Miller EP Garland line could be dangerous.  Not sure who the Canucks can target but that move alone could really improve the team

I think had all gone according to plan Dickinson Sutter Motte would have been a fantastic line. We knew before he got here that he wouldn't ideally be a C for us but could fill in that role in a pinch. 

• Vintage 1

2 minutes ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

So the team was ok with a bubble and no fans, but because it's 50% capacity they postpone the games? 

https://www.sportsnet.ca/nhl/article/nhl-postpones-nine-games-due-canadian-attendance-restrictions/

Imac was saying a couple days ago that the teams hated the bubble and would not go back to it.

And even a 50% capacity, the league now says that it is not enough. It's now all about economics, they aren't willing to take the hit. 

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, DeNiro said:

I mean I’m young enough that I can live with making sacrifices for a couple years of my life. Can’t imagine being an older person giving up the last few quality years of their life. I think I’d rather risk death than deal with this.

But how long are we gonna let this drag on…Is this just gonna be a 10 year pandemic where we place restrictions on things every time a new variant comes out?

At some point we’re gonna have to live with the risks. As long as hospital capacity holds and the government stops chasing their tails we just have to get on with our lives.

I agree...except we're not quite there yet.  I feel like impatience will push us further down the road than speed things up.

We're nearing the finish line but these variants have to be figured out before we can declare we're there.

And really, we have gotten on with our lives in measured responses to these new variants.  It's not like we're shut in...we're reacting to spikes to keep things under control as much as possible.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2
  • Vintage 1

1 hour ago, Redline said:

Danault is a great checker for sure but EP didn't even draw a penalty. 

He should have.  A good two hander to the wrist that was completely overlooked.

And he's given us some really great stuff....I think we owe him some patience as he figures this out.  

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 1
  • Vintage 1

1 hour ago, stawns said:

I think this is the beginning of the end of the dangerous phase of the pandemic, at least for the fully vaxxed.  I think by mid-Feb or early March we'll be back to delta restrictions and by summer most of the vaxxed will have contracted and recovered from omicron and we'll have a very very strong immune response from vaccines and infection.  Then we might start seeing more and more restrictions come off and get to the endemic phase and we can start the cleanup phase that will be painful in it's own way.  I think by this time next year things will look much different

Exactly how I see it.  Yep.

• Vintage 1

22 minutes ago, hammertime said:

I think had all gone according to plan Dickinson Sutter Motte would have been a fantastic line. We knew before he got here that he wouldn't ideally be a C for us but could fill in that role in a pinch. 

Totally not trying to sound harsh but offense would be in short supply from that line.  Id Sutter was in his younger days it would be a tough line to play against though

1 hour ago, stawns said:

I think this is the beginning of the end of the dangerous phase of the pandemic, at least for the fully vaxxed.  I think by mid-Feb or early March we'll be back to delta restrictions and by summer most of the vaxxed will have contracted and recovered from omicron and we'll have a very very strong immune response from vaccines and infection.  Then we might start seeing more and more restrictions come off and get to the endemic phase and we can start the cleanup phase that will be painful in it's own way.  I think by this time next year things will look much different

1 hour ago, DeNiro said:

I hope to god you’re right.

I’m just waiting till we hear about a new variant emerging.

Dr. Bonnie thinks the end is near...

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/dr-bonnie-henry-year-ender-1.6301202

Though the province's daily cases are peaking, and contact tracing and testing are at full capacity (meaning B.C.'s true case counts are likely much higher), Henry says she believes the province will eventually see the end of the pandemic.

"The way the virus is changing with Omicron — that is leading us to that place sooner," she said. "The type of illness it's causing, with most of us being protected through vaccination, means that we are going to get to that place."

Henry says the virus will eventually become endemic as the season shifts to spring, more children get vaccinated and the spread of infection slows, though she said there are still many unknowns ahead.

• Cheers 1

“If we make trades, you know, it’ll be for draft picks, it’ll be for younger players, so we can bring this team together hopefully within a year or two to be that consistent playoff team,” Rutherford added. “It will be a much different approach for me [than with the Penguins.]”

Jim Rutherford earlier on SN650

he's looking at 2 years down the road to become a consistent playoff team.. Not a rebuild but only getting younger and adding draft picks..

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, WHL rocks said:

“If we make trades, you know, it’ll be for draft picks, it’ll be for younger players, so we can bring this team together hopefully within a year or two to be that consistent playoff team,” Rutherford added. “It will be a much different approach for me [than with the Penguins.]”

he's looking at 2 years down the road to become a consistent playoff team.. Not a rebuild but only getting younger and adding draft picks..

The only question then is timing. Either trade deadline or this upcoming draft.  Maybe a bit of both.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, WHL rocks said:

I hear what JR is saying but don’t understand how trading guys who play for us now for draft picks (like Miller, or Bo, or whomever for picks) will make us better in two years?  Doesn’t it usually take picks several years to get as good as guys like Miller and Bo?  

Im seeing another retool coming.  JR has two years to get us back into the playoffs.  The thing is, I think we are really close to being really good.  We need bottom six forwards who can play fast, and contribute on th3 score sheet.  I think our goalies, D, and top forwards are good.  

So what does JR do to get us to where he wants us to be, and quickly?  Pearson?  Dickinson?  

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

2 hours ago, WHL rocks said:

Not true. My friend and his wife picked me up from hospital after surgery couple weeks so. 

Two days later the entire family was sick. All double vaxed. Kids are young adults. Everyone was hurting bad for over a week. 

Bad body aches very sore throat fever and flegm filled lungs and cough.. all of them.. 

Same thing happened with my other friend his wife and 14 hear old kid.. 

Another group of friends got sick after Xmas and one of them has mild symptoms.. he's NOT vaccinated.. he's scared to get it.. and he's the one with mild symptoms.. everyone else from that Xmas dinner is hurting bad..

Personally I didn't go anywhere Xmas. Not going anywhere new years. I have fractured ribs.. if I get a cough I'll die of pain so I'm being super careful. 

The family should be grateful because without the vaccine they would have been dead if they get that sick vaccinated.

One of the worst bits with the corona virus is that it cause an inflammation in the fat tissue wich can spread to vital organs.

Also that obese people, mainly men, get less immunised by the vaccine due to the poor statue of the body with inflammations disturbing the vaccine. 

5 minutes ago, Alflives said:

I hear what JR is saying but don’t understand how trading guys who play for us now for draft picks (like Miller, or Bo, or whomever for picks) will make us better in two years?  Doesn’t it usually take picks several years to get as good as guys like Miller and Bo?  

Im seeing another retool coming.  JR has two years to get us back into the playoffs.  The thing is, I think we are really close to being really good.  We need bottom six forwards who can play fast, and contribute on th3 score sheet.  I think our goalies, D, and top forwards are good.  

So what does JR do to get us to where he wants us to be, and quickly?  Pearson?  Dickinson?  

Miller against a really good RHD is almost the only thing that will be a quick fix.

Just now, Alflives said:

We have holes on the roster still.

Draft picks, prospects and cap space are required to reshape the roster. 

Cap space for free agency. Prospects and picks in order to have an influx of young talent and as a trade chip.

As it stands we have neither. Prospect pool is barren. We traded our 2nd/3rd this year(we have WPG's 3rd) and more importantly no cap space.

Most of our core pieces in place are already pretty young. Whatever we trade for pick/prospect wise will still be in our current age group for the next 1-2 years.