The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] Canucks trying to trade Halak

13 minutes ago, Mike Vanderhoek said:

This.

Mind boggling how many people don't understand that goaltending for this club is not the problem and Halak has played very well.

Having him here backing up Demko is a positive thing. Now should he express a need or desire to move on I'm sure a suitor could be found.

Remember he chose Vancouver for two years to call home, if he wants to stay then 110% awesome.

If by two years you actually mean one year, then yah, Halak is here for at least this season.  You do know that he's a UFA at the end of this season, right?  Probably why many here wouldn't be too torn up if Halak was traded for a draft pick or a player/prospect that may be a fit in Vancouver.  Also, the play of Spencer Martin could very well have earned him an extension and a legit shot at being Demko's back up for the next season or two.  All the reason it makes Halak expendable, if he was willing to move on by TDL.

6 hours ago, King Heffy said:

LA didn't do well last year.  Edmonton definitely did not do fine and doesn't have much hope of improving, and Montreal is obviously in rough shape.  Going forward, dead cap is simply not acceptable.  We're finally almost free from the damage Gillis did to the team with the Luongo recapture and retention.  Let's stop handicapping the team.

Too late for that.  Holtby and Virtanen will be costing the Canucks $2.4M next season. Net, about $600k reduction in dead cap vs. Luongo's recapture and $1.1M vs. 2021-2022 dead cap.  Probably gonna have to eat cap if any of Dickison, Pearson, Poolman, Myers or Hamonic is moved at the deadline.  Canucks are in dead cap hell for the conceivable future should Allvin decide to move on from any of the players listed.  Gifts from GMs past that never stop giving.

1 minute ago, bigbadcanucks said:

Too late for that.  Holtby and Virtanen will be costing the Canucks $2.4M next season. Net, about $600k reduction in dead cap vs. Luongo's recapture and $1.1M vs. 2021-2022 dead cap.  Probably gonna have to eat cap if any of Dickison, Pearson, Poolman, Myers or Hamonic is moved at the deadline.  Canucks are in dead cap hell for the conceivable future should Allvin decide to move on from any of the players listed.  Gifts from GMs past that never stop giving.

So stop adding to it.   No more eating long term salary on trades.

1 minute ago, qwijibo said:

It’s actually 10 starts if Twitter is to be believed.  Which means he hasnt hit it yet 

it depends on who you believe Drance have it as played and he already hit it. i mean it would make sense the bonus is games played not games start.. imagine having played like 15-20 games and not getting the bonus because you came in for injury or performance relief..

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/16/2022 at 4:57 PM, wai_lai416 said:

it depends on who you believe Drance have it as played and he already hit it. i mean it would make sense the bonus is games played not games start.. imagine having played like 15-20 games and not getting the bonus because you came in for injury or performance relief..

10 games or starts for a back up goalie to get a bonus? Is that “bonus” to circumvent cap hit, because most backups easily get 10games/starts in a single season 

Just now, RWJC said:

10 games or starts for a back up goalie to get a bonus? Is that “bonus” to circumvent cap hit, because most backups easily get 10games/starts in a single season 

it was always to circumvent the cap.. the canucks wouldn't have been able to afford halack at 3 mil.. they put the bonus so low that there's literally 0 chance for him to not hit any of them.. but tbh i would have just kept holtby for the final season instead of trying to save 2mil this season factoring in buy out. and find 2mil to shave elsewhere.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, wai_lai416 said:

it was always to circumvent the cap.. the canucks wouldn't have been able to afford halack at 3 mil.. they put the bonus so low that there's literally 0 chance for him to not hit any of them.. but tbh i would have just kept holtby for the final season instead of trying to save 2mil this season factoring in buy out. and find 2mil to shave elsewhere.

Thanks.

Yeah, I honestly believed Halak was a decent choice for us but being paid way too much. Taking on a veteran at the end of their career also doesn’t necessarily fit with this team’s average age demo. 

regardless, live and learn. Don’t think they’ll be investing in an expensive back up next season unless we run into injury issues 

1 minute ago, RWJC said:

Thanks.

Yeah, I honestly believed Halak was a decent choice for us but being paid way too much. Taking on a veteran at the end of their career also doesn’t necessarily fit with this team’s average age demo. 

regardless, live and learn. Don’t think they’ll be investing in an expensive back up next season unless we run into injury issues 

i think the reason to have an expensive backup at least the last couple of season was because of covid.. you never know when you'll lose your goalie for a stretch of games due to covid/quarantine etc.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

55 minutes ago, hammertime said:

Halak should forfeit his bonus he's been the worst possible backup. John Garret would do better.

Ya , he's been horrendous for sure. 

.883 in 12 games. Not impressed. Pretty sure that's actually the worse sv % in the entire league for a goaltender that's played over 10 games. He needs to go.

Edited by cuporbust