The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] Canucks trying to trade Halak

On 3/1/2022 at 10:03 PM, Coconuts said:

The other thing with a Halak trade is that even if another team has the cap space that allows them to eat Halak's bonus this season they'd still be doing us a solid, why would a team do us a solid when they're know we're capped out and needing an out? 

More than likely it'll cost us something if he's moved for that reason, we either eat his cap next season or lose an asset imo. 

I’ll give ‘em a 7th then!

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

Well I hope John is wrong with Brock. Halak definitely needs to go. Martin is more than capable of filling the back up position. 

I would hope Brock stays for a 6M per contract but if it’s between keeping Brock or Miller, I will choose our co-MVP any day of the week.

• Vintage 1

40 minutes ago, JM_ said:

I do wonder if Shannon is helping out his old pal Rutherford a bit here by sending out some false signals. It gives us some leverage if teams think we're going to try to save cap by trading Brock instead of Miller. It also gives teams the illusion of choice in trying to get players from us. 

Yes, personally do firmly believe that's been happening plenty since JR got here. JR knows this game better then almost anyone, the dude knows how to play the system. I'm shocked with how little JR seems to play the game like an old ass white man. He's progressive and knows media is king. I think a ton of what we are hearing is because that's what we are supposed to be hearing. It's a stark contrast to Benning.

• Vintage 1

1 hour ago, grandmaster said:

Well I hope John is wrong with Brock. Halak definitely needs to go. Martin is more than capable of filling the back up position. 

I would hope Brock stays for a 6M per contract but if it’s between keeping Brock or Miller, I will choose our co-MVP any day of the week.

Boesers are frequent types in this league. 
Miller is very rare.

Boeser for a legit T2D-T4D.

• Cheers 1

late round pick is fine, the key if or hopefully when we trade him is for the acquiring team to take his bonus as part of the deal so we don't have to have another 1.5m in dead cap space. I believe it was said that a team could do that even though Halak has already played 10 games with us??

4 hours ago, thundernuts said:

Wear it with pride, even if he does get traded.  Nothing wrong with having a former player's jersey.

Says the person who wears a speedo and calls himself Thundernuts :lol:

Kidding aside, thank you for reminding me of one of the all time best cameos in a movie!

Kinda late to try moving Halak... he has very little value right now. 

Back in December/January when he had won a couple games was the time to do it.

I'd almost say it would be worthwhile to waive him and send him to Abbotsford, bring Martin up.  Maybe we'd get lucky and another team would claim him.

2 minutes ago, *Buzzsaw* said:

Kinda late to try moving Halak... he has very little value right now. 

Back in December/January when he had won a couple games was the time to do it.

I'd almost say it would be worthwhile to waive him and send him to Abbotsford, bring Martin up.  Maybe we'd get lucky and another team would claim him.

No MOVE Clause.... you can't waive him without his permission.

at this point i don't think it's what teams would give up to trade for halak.. it's what the canucks are willing to give up to move halak and the dead cap for next season.. there's plenty of cap floor teams that can eat halak's contract.. even if halak will waive.. it would require a sweetener just for those team to take him.

• Upvote 1

On 3/2/2022 at 10:28 AM, VegasCanuck said:

The fact that Halak has a FULL NMC means, you can't even waive him with the intention of sending him to the AHL unless he agrees.

I think a LOT of fans are confused about his status. The only thing that you "could" do, is use LTIR space to recall Martin, make him the backup and just sit Halak in the press box.

Outside of that, there is NO option to move him anywhere, so stop trying!

Why the &^@# does a back up goaltender have a full NMC?? 

:picard:

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, N4ZZY said:

Why the &^@# does a back up goaltender have a full NMC?? 

:picard:

Because he signed a contract that relied on a games played bonus for a good portion of the pay.  That wouldn’t have been necessary if the Canucks weren’t up against the cap.  The NMC was there to ensure he got his bonus.  

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

3 hours ago, qwijibo said:

Because he signed a contract that relied on a games played bonus for a good portion of the pay.  That wouldn’t have been necessary if the Canucks weren’t up against the cap.  The NMC was there to ensure he got his bonus.  

pretty much this.. he wouldn't have signed for 1.5mil under normal circumstances and i'm probably guessing he probably have 2.5mil+ contracts from other team. the NMC is security for himself to basically guarantee he gets his performance bonus even if he have a bad season if we offered him 2.5-3mil with no bonus.. there wouldn't have been a NMC.. but fact canucks didn't have the cap space this season for it.

• Cheers 1