The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[GDT] Saturday January 15, 2022 Vancouver Canucks (16-17-3) @ Carolina Hurricanes (24-8-2) at 10:00 am on SNP TV and SNP650 AM Radio

Rate this topic

Goal:thecup

1 minute ago, runtzguy said:

I have been saying this too. Miller is our best and most consistent player. However we are not contenders and I see us maybe being contenders at least 5 years away. Miller would be like 34 and I doubt he would be the same player.

It's time to make hard decisions and decisions to win a cup and not hope for the best

Maybe.

If so, you move Brock. Easier to replace

• Vintage 1

Just now, Canuckfanforlife82 said:

Its just confusing becuase we are right in that yucky middle ground you don’t want to be in. I don’t want to blow it up, I just can’t figure out how they do things with lack of depth, picks, players etc. 

if we clear out Pearson, Dickie and Hamonic that free's up a lot of room for improvement. 

1 minute ago, HKSR said:

Yes, they are, but that hasn't stopped them from being the best defensive team in the entire NHL.

We beat them when they were missing their best player in Aho, and only by one goal.

How many more excuses have you got in there?

We're missing our best player, Petey 

2 minutes ago, stawns said:

Well he's certainly not taking a pay cut and he's not playing to his current contract, imo.  He'll also likely bring a decent return.

whoever wants him has the same contract issue tho. I could see Brock signing a 7 or 8 year deal under his current QO.

Yup - without success, free-agents will move/along & the lack of synergy or  instinctual play will continue….and that’s the place required to win championships.

Veteran heavy teams with that history of playing together, sprinkled with young talent will win championships. It’s not often, the other way around. 

6 minutes ago, StiffStick33 said:

30s the new 20. look at Ovi 

Yes, let's use a generational talent chasing the all-time scoring record who's had a remarkably healthy career as the poster boy for players producing into their 30's. Ovi isn't anywhere remotely near the norm and never has been.

1 minute ago, runtzguy said:

I have been saying this too. Miller is our best and most consistent player. However we are not contenders and I see us maybe being contenders at least 5 years away. Miller would be like 34 and I doubt he would be the same player.

It's time to make hard decisions and decisions to win a cup and not hope for the best

I see Miller as a player who's been peaking the last few seasons, and as someone I don't feel comfortable handing a retirement contract. And yes, he'll require big dollars and term. He's a piece I move for assets.

I advocate for building around the young core, not trying to milk a miracle contender out of our aging vets. 

• Cheers 1

5 minutes ago, stawns said:

It does, but it doesn't change the fact that this trip has almost certainly closed the door on the playoffs.  Everyone's complaint about JB is he didn't maximize his assets at the deadline and now people want JR to do the same?  My guess is Miller, Boeser, Petey, OEL, Garland, Myers, Pearson will all be in play at the deadline.

We’ll see. I don’t know that Petey will be on the market but I also imagine JR will be listening to interest on a lot of players if we are out of the race. 

2 minutes ago, -Moose said:

I completely agree. Although, I don't think it happens until the off-season, or possibly during next years season

Maybe, but I'd be exploring it prior to the deadline.

His value will never be higher than it will be at roughly 5.3M with an additional year on his contract.