The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Mark Cuban Company Offers Affordable Generic Drugs

-DLC-

1 hour ago, bishopshodan said:

Go Mark.

Now, rest of you Billionaires.....out do him with your ideas to help others....You uber-rich like to compete don't ya?

Bill Gates has done some great things too with his foundation. I hope he doesn't tank all that in some Epstein scandal. 

• Cheers 4

2 hours ago, bishopshodan said:

Go Mark.

Now, rest of you Billionaires.....out do him with your ideas to help others....You uber-rich like to compete don't ya?

Not if it cuts the ROI and affects the income statements. 

But if Cuban is successful, that might cause a major change. 

Thanks @-DLC-, I would have probably missed this one otherwise.

This is an incredible humanitarian effort by Mark Cubban, and will change alot of people lives.

Imagine a man, doing what the government refuses to do...............

IMO, this is one of the greatest acts in US history, and should be long remembered!

And as old drugs become un-protected, more will come on line, I am sure!

Edited by J.I.A.H.N
  • Like 1
  • Vintage 1

I became a fan of this guy when he became the Maverick team owner.

Every time the league fined him for venting his displeasure in public, he would pay the fine and  then donate the same amount to various charities in the Dallas area.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, gurn said:

I became a fan of this guy when he became the Maverick team owner.

Every time the league fined him for venting his displeasure in public, he would pay the fine and  then donate the same amount to various charities in the Dallas area.

NHL biggest mistake was not getting him as one NHL owner.  "Old boys networks" are afraid to share the spolight.  Cuban has enough name recognitiion to help better market the sport in the US.  Not those old farts (original six teams).

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

I like the fact that he seems really grounded and not flakey.  I remember I read this article awhile back and even the way he raises his family is admirable to me:

Today, Mark and Tiffany have three children: Alexis, 18, Alyssa, 14 and Jake, 11. The former Dancing With the Stars contestant has been candid about passing down certain values to his kids like understanding the importance of money. Originally from Pittsburgh, Mark has described his upbringing as “middle class” in “a working class family.”

mark cuban and wife tiffany with kids

JEFF KRAVITZGETTY IMAGES

"I’m not the dad that comes home with a ton of presents. I am the dad that says, ‘Pick that up. Take that; put it in the sink. No, you have to earn that,’” he said in 2014, according to Insider. “I want them to recognize that the only thing special about themselves is what they make for themselves.”

Mark continued: "They have to be themselves. They can’t be Mark Cuban’s or Tiffany Cuban’s son or daughter. They have to be adults and they have to carry their own weight … I didn’t want them to have a sense of entitlement. I want them to be like themselves … I just don’t want it to ever be about stuff. If I treat them with respect hopefully they’ll treat their peers with respect. That’s what we pay attention to more than anything else, how they treat other people.”

https://www.goodhousekeeping.com/life/entertainment/a37547307/mark-cuban-wife-tiffany-cuban-kids-marriage/

• Like 3

This is going to save countless lives and even more people from bankruptcy/debt. They’re going to be overwhelmed with orders, there’s millions who need these prescription drugs. 

An incredible man taking on an incredible project.

It’s easy to forget these days, but there is still good people out there working hard to make the world better.

Thank you Mark Cuban for being one of them.

Edited by StanleyCupOneDay
  • Cheers 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/22/2022 at 11:08 AM, -DLC- said:

https://www.forbes.com/sites/lisakim/2022/01/20/billionaire-mark-cuban-opens-online-pharmacy-to-provide-affordable-generic-drugs/?sh=18a2b4063e4a

I've always liked him...personable, down to earth (despite being extremely wealthy).  I don't know much about him besides Shark Tank and his ownership of the Mavericks, but he seems like a decent guy and this just confirms it for me.  I mean, don't get me wrong, this is a brilliant money maker for him but it also provides a resource for many who otherwise struggle (can't) afford their medicine.

Billionaire Mark Cuban Opens Online Pharmacy To Provide Affordable Generic Drugs

Lisa Kim
Lisa Kim
Forbes Staff

Billionaire investor Mark Cuban launched an online pharmacy Thursday that offers more than 100 generic drugs at an affordable price with a goal of being “radically transparent” in its price negotiations with drug companies. 

2019 NBA Awards - Arrivals

Mark Cuban attends the 2019 NBA Awards at Barker Hangar on June 24, 2019 in Santa Monica, ... [+]

GETTY IMAGES

KEY FACTS

The Mark Cuban Cost Plus Drugs Company (MCCPDC) is a registered pharmaceutical wholesaler and purchases drugs directly from manufacturers, bypassing middlemen to lower the price of more than 100 medications, it said in a statement.

For example, the leukemia drug imatinib is priced at $47 a month on MCCPDC compared to the $9,657 retail price.

The online pharmacy’s prices for generics factor in a 15% margin on top of actual manufacturer prices and a $3 pharmacist fee, the statement said. 

The markup on generics average “at least” 100%, the MCCPDC said, while the Wall Street Journal reports in some cases it exceeds 1,000%.

The company doesn’t process insurance claims and requires customers to pay for their medications out of pocket, noting its drugs cost less than most insurance plans’ deductible and copay requirements.

Customers have to request a new prescription from their provider to place an order for medications on the MCCPDC website.

KEY BACKGROUND

MCCPDC CEO Alex Oshmyansky reached out to Cuban with an idea for a low-cost generic drug company in a cold email. It was launched in January last year. They were motivated in part by “Pharma Bro” Martin Shrkeli’s outrage-producing price hike of the lifesaving drug Daraprim from $13.50 to $750 per tablet while Shrkeli was CEO of Turing Pharmaceuticals. Cuban told Forbes last year the pricing for generic drugs was “ridiculous.” He said he decided to put his name on the company to “show capitalism can be compassionate and to send the message I am all in.” It’s not clear how much he had invested in the company. 

TANGENT

The company aims to complete the construction of an $11 million pharmaceutical factory in Dallas that spans roughly 22,000 square feet by the end of this year.

A couple of years ago I was in the planning stages of starting a medical retailer based solely on the difference in price for certain drugs between Canada and the US. At the time, school boards in Washington State were paying $460/ epi pen. You could buy a two pack at Costco in Canada for $199. I was in the process of applying for a medical export license, but then the Americans tore NAFTA up so the idea died. 

Edited by MattJVD
  • Sad 1