The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Discussion] Time for JR to make his first big move (Boeser)

1 minute ago, aGENT said:

Way to ignore the rest of the post . And yup.

I simply disagree you don't fill the hole left by Miller with Paul/Tierney/Sturm and you don't have the ability to coddle Pete when you have no depth at C so IMO you really aren't putting the team in a position to compete in the near future you are commiting to a longer term rebulid. 

3 minutes ago, khay said:

Boeser projects as 30G 60+ point player on a full season. Obviously, he hasn't hit 30 goals nor 60 points yet because he never had a full season. But I like Boeser and see him as part of the core group here.

I would like to see JR lock up Boeser on a long term deal at no more than 7 mil. That way, he gets some security while not being too far off in salary compared to the best player on the team (Hughes).

QH, EP, BB, BH, OEL at around 7.5 mil avg cap hit + Demko at 5 mil gives us a core of 3F2D1G for 42 mil. 

Boeser at anything over 8 mil doesn't make any sense. 7.5 mil QO also doesn't make sense. If that's the route the Boeser wants to go, then yes, it's time to trade him.

If we can lock up Boeser to 7 mil x 5 or 6 year deal or something similar. Then, I'd rather trade Miller and get a king's ransom to retool the team.

I like Miller but he has all the leverage as a UFA and will easily commend 9 mil on a long term deal.

If Miller gets us Schneider and Lafreniere/Kakko, it fills two glaring holes in the organization (LW and RD). That's something that we can't do by trading Boeser, whose value to a playoff team is probably much lower than Miller.

Lafreniere/Kakko-EP-Boeser

Pearson-Horvat-Garland

Podz-Dickinson-Hog

Motte-Lammikko-Highmore

OEL-Myers

Hughes-Schneider

Poolman-Hamonic

I would consider trading Hamonic or Poolman and acquiring an LD either at TDL or in the offseason.

Looks like a logical plan moving forward. I like it. 

I prefer not to trade Brock, but like you say, if he’s commanding and wanting 8M, then it’s time to see what we can get for him. 

Miller is our biggest trade chip, and her will garner the largest return. It’s time to also move him to set up the future for this franchise. Miller is a great player, but let’s be real. He’s not Ovechkin, or Crosby, or McDavid. 

Laff and Schneider from NY to Van for Miller. If those are the two pieces coming back, I say that deal is done. 

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, hammertime said:

I simply disagree you don't fill the hole left by Miller with Paul/Tierney/Sturm and you don't have the ability to coddle Pete when you have no depth at C so IMO you really aren't putting the team in a position to compete in the near future you are commiting to a longer term rebulid. 

Again, you don't "replace" Miller. You get better in other areas.

Adding a solid mid 6 W'er/C in Chytil, a very good 3C in Paul/Tierney/Sturm and a future top 4 RD in Schneider (never mind what the likely 1st can turn in to), for zero additional cap space, while getting younger and faster and fits within our +/- 2-7 contention window is the smart route.

How is Horvat, Pettersson and one of Paul/Tierney/Sturm not C depth? How wouldn't having those guys allow you to "coddle" (which I don't think he really needs) Petey?  The roster I posted earlier is the furthest thing from a rebuild :lol:

Edited by aGENT

2 minutes ago, DrJockitch said:

Time to hire GM and get rest of team in. Then they can evaluate moves big and small. 
2 months until deadline. Lots of time. 

when’s the hiring of the new GM? 

Dahliwal said this weekend. 

2 minutes ago, hammertime said:

Sure but is Brock worth that? I'd rather 3 Tyler Mottes at 2.2m each 

I like Motte but he’s never gotten past the 10g mark.

Brock has consistently gotten past 20g (one shortened season he only got 16g).  And projects to be a 30g if he can remain healthy (don’t count on it though).

• Cheers 1

12 minutes ago, hammertime said:

Sure but is Brock worth that? I'd rather 3 Tyler Mottes at 2.2m each 

How quickly people forget that he was our best forward last year. One of the best, one-shot scorers in the league, who has rounded out his game (2 way, battle etc) very nicely. Yes, he's worth it.

That said, if Rutherford feels his skating, or contract demands, represents a bridge too far, I don't have many issues with moving him for other pieces as well. I'll let management sort that out in due time.

Doesn't change that selling high on Miller, to focus our assets on our core's contention window, is the smart play here. Like I said earlier in this thread, this isn't a Boeser vs Miller issue. Trading one, does not preclude moving the other as well.

1 minute ago, aGENT said:

Again, you don't "replace" Miller. You get better in other areas.

Adding a solid mid 6 W'er in Chytil, a very good 3C in Paul/Tierney/Sturm and a future top 4 RD in Schneider (never mind what the likely 1st can turn in to), for zero additional cap space, while getting younger and faster and fits within our +/- 2-7 contention window is the smart route.

How is Horvat, Pettersson and one of Paul/Tierney/Sturm not C depth? How wouldn't having those guys allow you to "coddle" (which I don't think he really needs) Petey?  The roster I posted earlier is the furthest thing from a rebuild :lol:

Sure sure If the rangers actually do offer that you take it everyone has a price. I'm not interested in arguing with your hypotheticals. The reality is as far as i'm concerned if you trade Miller you're going on a longer term rebuild journey and I'm 100% open to discuss the merits of that.....

But Schnider + 1st + Chytil imo isn't done its far from done so unless some pie in the sky overpayment for Miller happens I'm against moving him at this time Depending on JR's conversations with Miller's agent. 

• Cheers 2

5 minutes ago, hammertime said:

Sure sure If the rangers actually do offer that you take it everyone has a price. I'm not interested in arguing with your hypotheticals.

Then what are you doing here?

The reality is as far as i'm concerned if you trade Miller you're going on a longer term rebuild journey and I'm 100% open to discuss the merits of that.....

Something like (wingers fluid):

Chytil, Horvat, Boeser

Podkolzin, Petterson, Garland

Pearson, Paul/Tierney/Sturm, Hoglander

Dickinson, Lammiko, Highmore

Jasek/Focht etc as spares

OEL, Myers

Hughes, Hamonic/Lyubushkin

UFA?, Schneider/Poolman

With Burroughs, Schenn, Rathbone, Woo, Juulsen  etc depth

In no way, shape or form is something like that "dooming" us to a rebuild. Again, it's entirely possible something like that team, is as good or even better than the current team, with Miller, as soon as next year.

But Schnider + 1st + Chytil imo isn't done its far from done so unless some pie in the sky overpayment for Miller happens I'm against moving him at this time Depending on JR's conversations with Miller's agent. 

I'd wager Rutherford already knows exactly where he stands re: Miller.

39 minutes ago, N4ZZY said:

I don’t understand how if Bo is our #1 centre how the team isn’t built right? 

Horvat’s 26 by the way, not 28 years old. Miller is 28. 

Yes I was referring to Miller being 28 hardly over the hill @aGENT was campaigning that Miller doesn't fit our window he's too old at 28

Edited by hammertime

5 hours ago, grandmaster said:

No way Brock stays ahead of Miller. Miller is the MVP of this team (other than Demko). The Canucks would collapse if Miller was gone. Heart and soul of this franchise. A true power forward not seen on this team since Bert. Brock can be replaced but not Miller.

Sorry but the hardest thing to do in the NHL is score goals, and since he joined the league no player on the team has more goals than Boeser. That's not something you can just "replace"

• Cheers 1

11 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Chytil, Horvat, Boeser

Podkolzin, Petterson, Garland

Pearson, Paul/Tierney/Sturm, Hoglander

Dickinson, Lammiko, Highmore

Jasek/Focht etc as spares

OEL, Myers

Hughes, Hamonic/Lyubushkin

UFA?, Schneider/Poolman

With Burroughs, Schenn, Rathbone, Woo, Juulsen  etc depth

This in your opinion is a playoff team?

4 minutes ago, hammertime said:

Yes I was referring to Miller being 28 hardly over the hill @aGENT was campaigning that Miller doesn't fit our window he's too old at 28

He'll be 29 in about a month. 30 when he signs a new deal. 31 when this team hopes to start to open it's contention window.

Like I said, we probably get +/-2 years full value of his new $8m+ deal in that window, After that it becomes a depreciating asset for a declining player, right in the meat of our core's prime. It's not a deal this team is currently in position to saddle itself with.

• Upvote 1

23 minutes ago, hammertime said:

Sure sure If the rangers actually do offer that you take it everyone has a price. I'm not interested in arguing with your hypotheticals. The reality is as far as i'm concerned if you trade Miller you're going on a longer term rebuild journey and I'm 100% open to discuss the merits of that.....

I'd definitely be open to trading Miller for a great haul with a young stud d-man like Schneider, but aside from that I'd probably favour trading Boeser.

• Upvote 1