The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

New Recycling fee for milk bottles

ronthecivil

This is terrible regressive.

It adds a tax to milk.

It will not encourage me to recycle. I already do. What it does is make me keep empty milk bottles along with the beer ones to recycle.

It's not worth the effort. I will instead put them in the trash to keep out the dumpster divers.

I have a better idea.

Remove the deposit fee on all beverage containers.

But keep it as a tax.

If there is nothing to return, there will be no dumpster divers.

Use the money on supportive housing, food banks, low barrier shelters, etc.

it's 2.4 dollars every 24 pack of beer so I would be funding it.

This is much more logical.

Discussion?

Honestly, it's an annoyance for me.  I already go to the bottle depot enough since they started taking in all kinds of plastic bags (not just shopping bags, but chip bags etc).  The bags of plastic fill up my "bottle depot bin" pretty quick, add milk containers and I'm going to have to either get a way bigger bin or it'll be a weekly trip to the bottle depot for me.

• Upvote 1

I dont see much issue with this. Its a way to encourage people recycling more and keeping stuff out of the landfills. If you don't want to store and return it thats your choice, I dont really get the difference though if you already recycle many other extremely similar products.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2

6 minutes ago, Heretic said:

So, the homeless, looking for a dollar for a cup of coffee, will no longer be able to return empties for cash?

That seems kind of heartless to me.

(I donate all my clean empties to a single mom here in Armstrong so she has some extra cash for her and her kid).

Agreed.

All my empties go to my local Scout Camp so they can stay open.  They have a drive-through bottle drive once a month and it has been very successful.

• Cheers 2

I already recycle milk containers and give away my cans/bottles/containers to whatever homeless person shows up to dig through our bins or local charities/bottle drives. So this change doesn’t make any difference to me.

I really don’t understand why you’d put milk containers in the trash purposely hurting our environment because of this new fee.

• Cheers 1

So they're finally giving returns for milk eh? 

Before I quit back in October I'd spent the last four and a half years working at a bottle depot and you'd be shocked at the number of customers from Alberta who'd fuss over our not giving returns back for milk products. Lot of people are already pretty good about recycling, at least in Nanaimo, but there are lot of folks who will be bringing in milk containers for money going forward.

It'll matter to those making the least, you'd be shocked how many regulars we'd have throughout the week. Many we'd see daily. It's those with the least who scrounge and pick up everything the average person isn't going to, those living in poverty are the one's I'd say recycle the most outside the elderly. 

It was coming down the pipeline when I left so I'm not surprised. 

18 hours ago, ronthecivil said:

This is terrible regressive.

It adds a tax to milk.

It will not encourage me to recycle. I already do. What it does is make me keep empty milk bottles along with the beer ones to recycle.

It's not worth the effort. I will instead put them in the trash to keep out the dumpster divers.

I have a better idea.

Remove the deposit fee on all beverage containers.

But keep it as a tax.

If there is nothing to return, there will be no dumpster divers.

Use the money on supportive housing, food banks, low barrier shelters, etc.

it's 2.4 dollars every 24 pack of beer so I would be funding it.

This is much more logical.

Discussion?

Thanks for being lazy and polluting...this Milk charge is good and long over due in my opinion. Clear plastic bag and fill them with milk jugs, write how many are in the bag and drop it off at a bottle depot every couple months depending on how much milk you drink.

It is not that hard to do, but there are people who discard pop and alcohol returnable bottles still so I guess its to be expected people whine about the milk jug...Sad, but true!

Seems like the government/agencies spend a great deal of time telling the end user what to do with the packaging; and not a lot getting the manufactor to create less or better packaging.

Why does so much toothpaste still come in a box?

Why is saran wrap, and  a styrofoam  tray still an approved way to package meat?

Any store that sends out flyers and adverts should have a bin at their location, so they can do their own recycling.

20 hours ago, RetroCanuck said:

I dont see much issue with this. Its a way to encourage people recycling more and keeping stuff out of the landfills. If you don't want to store and return it thats your choice, I dont really get the difference though if you already recycle many other extremely similar products.

The difference is the 2.4 dollars a flat of kokanee gets me (which I would just as soon just put into a "beverage containers bin" instead of bring back) gets me about eight times as much money back as the milk containers will. So it's not worth it to return the milk containers. And as such I don't put anything in recycling that will fund the binners, so instead of encouraging me to recycle, it does the opposit.

19 hours ago, Heretic said:

So, the homeless, looking for a dollar for a cup of coffee, will no longer be able to return empties for cash?

That seems kind of heartless to me.

(I donate all my clean empties to a single mom here in Armstrong so she has some extra cash for her and her kid).

In the initial post I say to still collect the money and give it to support people like those you mention.

It's a regressive tax. Those with big houses and pick up trucks will get all their money back if they want. Most people will not. 

It dejunks houses. It's more efficient. It reduces scavenging. 

I actually support a guaranteed minimum income so I am far from heartless.

I just want things to be EFFICIENT.

• Upvote 1