The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Canucks name Émilie Castonguay as assistant GM

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

16 minutes ago, kylecanuck said:

Or is it just to get ahead of the curve, so they hire a young woman instead of an experienced and tenured man.. I have no problem with a woman in the role, as long as it’s deserved and not forced

So, let us guess, are YOU the one to judge whether or not it is deserved and not forced? You sort of tipped you hand when you talked about an experienced, tenured man, which appears to be your preference. You fail to acknowledge that she is more than just "a young woman". I know, I know, you have nothing against women and some of your best friends are women and blah, blah, blah.

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 3

One tidbit that I found interesting was how she brought up development and the process between going from drafting a player to player/person reaching their full potential. 

We are all assuming that she will be our cap/contract person but I have a feeling like she might get involved in overseeing some player development as well. 

Exciting times. 

5 hours ago, VancouverHabitant said:

This is Rutherford's show, and it looks like our GM will be green so I suppose its okay for that reason. 

Emilie will be doing Chris Gear's job. 

She will have some difficulties with the fact that we are close to the cap this year and next, however we are in a good position long term with our best two players signed on very good deals (Demko and Hughes). 

Really curious what happens with Boeser. 

I think with Emilie, there’s confidence that they could get a contract done with good numbers for the organization. 

56 minutes ago, kylecanuck said:

Well I keep reading her experience and there’s not much to read, so could you please point out what makes her qualified to be an assistant GM in the NHL. Or is it just to get ahead of the curve, so they hire a young woman instead of an experienced and tenured man.. I have no problem with a woman in the role, as long as it’s deserved and not forced

What is your problem...We are hiring a GM, another AGM who likely has experience and still have Rutherford in the fold. She has similar credentials to the new Montreal GM and the Canucks former GM who was a player agent like her with a law degree...

• Cheers 2

48 minutes ago, -DLC- said:

This about sums it up perfectly for me:

Anyhow, I refuse to buy into any more of that downward spiral of negativity, as this is a very positive move and to be celebrated.  

As a woman, it's really draining to hear the same ol' arguments but times are changing and the really great responses prove that!  Unfortunately, it's still a slow drag for some.   Hopefully, they'll catch up to the world one day (or get left behind).

the Habs hired someone with zero GM experience, but hey that was cool. 

• Vintage 3

35 minutes ago, Canuckster86 said:

What is your problem...We are hiring a GM, another AGM who likely has experience and still have Rutherford in the fold. She has similar credentials to the new Montreal GM and the Canucks former GM who was a player agent like her with a law degree...

Which one?  That covers both Gillis and Burke.

6 hours ago, CanuckinEdm said:

No NHL executive experience but yet still a better AGM then Weisbrod already.

Dude even I would be a better AGM than Weisbrod. Flames got fined because this clown filed the wrong papers for the offer sheet:picard:

• Haha 2

6 hours ago, nuckin_futz said:

She managed to get Antione Roussel $3M/yr for 3 years.

So she obviously knows how to size up an opponent in a negotiation.

You know that she outsmarted Benning while Benning was too busy glueing macaroni pieces to the cardboard.

• Haha 1