The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[GDT] January 25, 2022 Edmonton Oilers (19-16-2) @ Vancouver Canucks (18-19-4) at 7:00 SNPTV and SNP650AM

Rate this topic

Goal:thecup

1 hour ago, GB5 said:

You do know that Dipietro is bigger than Halak right?

They're about the same height, but not every small, determined player will become Marty St. Louis. The odds are stacked against him. I wish DiPietro the best, especially as long as he's a Canuck. 

Edit - Just looking at Halak's stats over his career. Quite good actually, for a 36 year old he's only had one season in his entire pro career where he was over 3.00 GAA.  

Edited by NUCKER67

1 minute ago, Alienhuggyflow said:

Man I hope we don't trade him until at least next year if he's wanting a change.

Trading your best player while in the thick of a playoff hunt I'm sorry but that's a terrible message to the fans and the coach/players.

Let's protest if this ridiculous scenario plays out.

I will bring the pots and pans...meet you where?

(Maybe we can fire up a plane...got one??)

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2
  • Haha 1

Miller being back helps, but Martin or DiPietro aren't who you want in net against the best player in the world and another one in Draisaitl. 

Guess we'll see what happens, they'll need another Florida effort. 

Edited by Coconuts

People being so sensitive and aggressive about any Dipietro criticisms.  
What is this…… the Covid thread?    

Is it early to write him off?   Sure.  
Is there anything to question in his game? Yup

He is very small and his positioning is poor.  
He relies way too much on his athleticism, and not enough structure. 
It’s like watching Dom Hasek, but bad.  

The good news, positioning and structure can be taught, but the athleticism he possesses cannot.   
He is fairly young and if he can get structure in his game, he has the natural ability to be great.  

It concerns me his positioning is as poor looking as it is though, considering how long we’ve had him in the system.  
It should be better. 

• Cheers 1

5 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

Miller being back helps, but Martin or DiPietro aren't who you want in net against the best player in the world and another one in Draisaitl. 

Guess we'll see what happens, they'll need another Florida effort. 

ANY goaltender can rise to a challenge.  Sustained over time?  Sure, maybe that would be problematic.  One game, anything can happen, especially with the Edmonton Sybils

9 minutes ago, Alienhuggyflow said:

Man I hope we don't trade him until at least next year if he's wanting a change.

Trading your best player while in the thick of a playoff hunt I'm sorry but that's a terrible message to the fans and the coach/players.

I don't know if Aquilini would okay that move during this season unless we're mathematically out of the playoff hunt. He' seems very concerned about every dollar of revenue this year, I don't think he's going to give the greenlight to JR that we're pulling the plug on the season, which is what a JT Miller trade would symbolize.

3 minutes ago, -DLC- said:

ANY goaltender can rise to a challenge.  Sustained over time?  Sure, maybe that would be problematic.  One game, anything can happen, especially with the Edmonton Sybils

I don't disagree, I just don't see this game as the cakewalk some are making it out to be. I want the boys to play well, but I've def got some concerns. We need the points, but you know Edmonton's going to come hard and try to build on their first win a while. We joke about Alberta, but I was bored and watched that last Flames/Oilers game and both teams actually looked better than I thought they would, Oil are dangerous. 

We'll have to limit their chances and come back hard defensively as a group. Fortunately that Lammikko line's been good lately. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, D.B Cooper said:

People being so sensitive and aggressive about any Dipietro criticisms.  
What is this…… the Covid thread?    

Is it early to write him off?   Sure.  
Is there anything to question in his game? Yup

He is very small and his positioning is poor.  
It’s like watching Dom Hasek, but bad.  

The good news,

He is fairly young and if he can get structure in his game, he has the natural ability to be great.  

It concerns me his positioning is as poor looking as it is though, considering how long we’ve had him in the system.  
It should be better. 

He is not that small (at 6').

And re this:

positioning and structure can be taught, but the athleticism he possesses cannot.   

Athleticism CAN be "taught" (improved) to some degree.  Flexibility work is part of that.

I, too, am concerned that he makes himself SO small in net...but I think that's a fairly easy fix (once you break his old habits).

• Cheers 2