The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Canucks name Patrik Allvin as GM

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

Patrik Allvin as GM  

180 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

GM's are only as good as the people around them. Benning didn't surround himself with enough quality people.  JR is putting a much larger group of people into place. Will they bring us a winning organization? Who knows but he is building something that looks more like an organization instead of just a management team.

Some of us were discussing Martin and I was wondering about his waiver status. He is on emergency loan so waiver exempt . 

• Thanks 1
  • Vintage 3

5 minutes ago, ShawnAntoski said:

Your making the mistake, of focusing too much on the top end of the draft and I get it.  To add to my point about, drafting & development: a good/decent scouting staff should be capable of finding late round gems, ie Tampa: 

2014: Point in the 3rd

2015: Cirrelli in the 3rd

In Pitsburgh, they had two generational talents and if they drafted half, as good as Tampa they wouldn't have to trade there 1st round picks every year; and if you look, at the Rangers under Gorton - they hardly traded there 1st and now they have assets to trade, if they needed to add.   As for Gillis, his admission of his draft record, in an interview was admission, of a big oversight on his behalf.  There were a lot of things he did, that I like and if he had focused on a sustainable transition plan through the draft, when it was obvious the 2011 core was on the down side - by tweaking or fixing the scouting department; he might still be here ?  Perhaps, as PoHO.

https://dailyhive.com/vancouver/canucks-gm-mike-gillis-interview-2018

Not really, I'm new to NHL systems of drafting etc. So now I see teams like Flames have late drafts playing for them, Kylington and Andersson from the same draft year, and a lot of the other teams, we don't. Still people say that Benning drafted great even. 

2 minutes ago, Timråfan said:

Not really, I'm new to NHL systems of drafting etc. So now I see teams like Flames have late drafts playing for them, Kylington and Andersson from the same draft year, and a lot of the other teams, we don't. Still people say that Benning drafted great even. 

JBs' biggest mistake was, he chose the wrong coaches for his roster.  Hoping JR, would look into re evaluating the crew, in Abby when it comes to developing prospects.

Edited by ShawnAntoski

5 minutes ago, appleboy said:

GM's are only as good as the people around them. Benning didn't surround himself with enough quality people.  JR is putting a much larger group of people into place. Will they bring us a winning organization? Who knows but he is building something that looks more like an organization instead of just a management team.

Some of us were discussing Martin and I was wondering about his waiver status. He is on emergency loan so waiver exempt . 

So far, aside from Castonguay, that "much larger" group basically consists of the executive team JR had as GM in Pittsburgh. And if you look into the end of that group's tenure, it's kind of a scary site. Let's hope this is a new and improved version of the 2015-2017 management team and not the same vision that ran the Penguins subsequent to the cup wins. 

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 2

2 minutes ago, 13231 said:

So far, aside from Castonguay, that "much larger" group basically consists of the executive team JR had as GM in Pittsburgh. And if you look into the end of that group's tenure, it's kind of a scary site. Let's hope this is a new and improved version of the 2015-2017 management team and not the same vision that ran the Penguins subsequent to the cup wins. 

Well said

3 minutes ago, BPA said:

Well now that JR has his GM and Assistant GMs, I hope they can come up a consensus on player evaluations and have a strategy before TDL.

Don't hold your breath.

- PA has to look at the team, probably get an evaluation from JR, see what the team has in the system. 

- Most players on the team are underachieving. So selling might give you a lousy return. Are you looking to make a trade for the sake of a trade?

- The bottom 6 is a mess in forward.

- You're not going to get anything for our defence, as most are overpaid given their results. 

The team needs picks and prospects. One of Benning's issues is he went for skill, I think he figured that's the direction the league is going.

Yet there's no physical aspect to this team. 

There might be moves in the offseason. But I don't see any major shakeups or trades prior or at the deadline. 

Unless the team gets offers it can't refuse. 

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

Don't hold your breath.

- PA has to look at the team, probably get an evaluation from JR, see what the team has in the system. 

- Most players on the team are underachieving. So selling might give you a lousy return. Are you looking to make a trade for the sake of a trade?

- You're not going to get anything for our defence, as most are overpaid given their results. 

The team needs picks and prospects. One of Benning's issues is he went for skill, I think he figured that's the direction the league is going.

There might be moves in the offseason. But I don't see any major shakeups or trades prior or at the deadline. 

I would hope the management team looked at the players over a few seasons rather than just this one for a proper evaluation.

And if it is such a mess as you described, it means the Canucks are definitely 2+ years away from making the playoffs and being a contender.

So JR plan of getting younger and faster (and bigger I hope) would probably hold true.

Best of luck to the new GM, not much diversity in management when 3 people come from same organization. I think there were better GM candidates out there but it was always rumoured since Grandpa Jim joined the team that Allvin was his guy and now we see that come to fruition.  

The first 2 seasons are going to be crucial under Allvin to see how this team is constructed with some big contracts that need to be re upped or make the difficult decision to trade a key player and move on.

Best of luck to the 1st ever Swedish NHL GM, not a shock at all that happens with Vancouver. We are Ikea and will always have Swedish connection with this team, let's hope this new GM can bring us the cup!

• Cheers 2

I am glad that the circus has finally amassed its management team so we can focus on the play on the ice again. Whenever there is a change in management things take a bit to get going. Quinn  took a few years building the 94 team. Burke and Nonis a few to get the 2011 team started and Gillis to add a few pieces. Its not instant success.

I dont know anything about Patrik Allvin but he has a big job ahead of him. Its going to take some time and changes to get this team competitive for a cup. There will be some unpopular decisions made. There may even be some popular ones. Its going to be interesting for sure.

15 minutes ago, Canuckster86 said:

Best of luck to the new GM, not much diversity in management when 3 people come from same organization. I think there were better GM candidates out there but it was always rumoured since Grandpa Jim joined the team that Allvin was his guy and now we see that come to fruition.  

The first 2 seasons are going to be crucial under Allvin to see how this team is constructed with some big contracts that need to be re upped or make the difficult decision to trade a key player and move on.

Best of luck to the 1st ever Swedish NHL GM, not a shock at all that happens with Vancouver. We are Ikea and will always have Swedish connection with this team, let's hope this new GM can bring us the cup!

The Sedins may have had some input or effect here as well.

7 minutes ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

Don't hold your breath.

To some extent, but, I'd take Motte, Lammikko, and Highmore over anything the Coilers have for a start. They need a good right handed center for starters, if only for D zone faceoffs. That's showing with the loses of Sutter and trading of Beagle. I haven't seen anything in Dickinson, that everyone in Big D was talking about. The big issue I see with this team is high opportunity shots on the net, from the D. Barely anything from the blue line gets to the net. As a group the defense is playing OK, not fabulous, and they seem to have a much better system in place in the short time that Boudreau has been here.

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

14 minutes ago, BPA said:

I would hope the management team looked at the players over a few seasons rather than just this one for a proper evaluation.

And if it is such a mess as you described, it means the Canucks are definitely 2+ years away from making the playoffs and being a contender.

So JR plan of getting younger and faster (and bigger I hope) would probably hold true.

I don't think tweaking is going to fix this team. 

Playoffs is one thing.

Doing damage in the playoffs is another. 

I could be totally wrong. But Vancouver reminds me of Edmonton prior to McD. Lots of high picks but all the same style of players. And no balance. 

Canucks fans are a tough crowd. They just hired someone and right away there's people bashing the hire and spewing negativity. Give these people a chance! 

JR is assembling a team who plan on bringing a championship to VAN. What's there to complain about? They're making smart hires with their analytics department, they hired Castonguay which is a very positive step. 

Looking at PIT's drafting over the years and blaming Allvin is ridiculous. Forget who they drafted, they won Cups. 

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

1 hour ago, appleboy said:

I think the big difference is it seems like Rutherford is assembling an actual team where different views are encouraged. Benning had reports. 

Both styles can work, or at least could work in the past. Jim was just too old school for his own good, and relied far too much on Weisbrod. In this new group I see far less chance of that kind of thing happening. 

Edited by JM_

5 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

Canucks fans are a tough crowd. They just hired someone and right away there's people bashing the hire and spewing negativity. Give these people a chance! 

JR is assembling a team who plan on bringing a championship to VAN. What's there to complain about? They're making smart hires with their analytics department, they hired Castonguay which is a very positive step. 

Looking at PIT's drafting over the years and blaming Allvin is ridiculous. Forget who they drafted, they won Cups. 

Draft picks are nice, but the Cups are nicer

20 minutes ago, Canuckster86 said:

this aspect of the hire could be very good for us. 

I think some folks are being far too negative, not sure why exactly. I get it, he's not many people's first choice but really, none of us wee in the room and know who had the best vision for the team.