The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Canucks name Patrik Allvin as GM

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

Patrik Allvin as GM  

180 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

1 minute ago, JM_ said:

this aspect of the hire could be very good for us. 

I think some folks are being far too negative, not sure why exactly. I get it, he's not many people's first choice but really, none of us wee in the room and know who had the best vision for the team. 

I don't really have any sort of cause to think "wow, these new people are going to be awesome"  nor am I negative about it. 

Were just going to have to wait and see.

JR could take us to a cup, or be Holland 2 point oh. 

• Cheers 2
  • Vintage 2

1 minute ago, erkayloomeh said:

I don't really have any sort of cause to think "wow, these new people are going to be awesome"  nor am I negative about it. 

Were just going to have to wait and see.

JR could take us to a cup, or be Holland 2 point oh. 

imo we're lucky to have one of the most experienced people in the game building our new front office. Maybe I'm over optimistic, but that makes me happy.

Sure, anything can go off the rails and at some point every front office does. But looking at the folks we have in now, and might yet add, I'm pretty excited. 

Where's the "not enough information" choice?  Even after a year or two it is hard to judge a GM's work.  It's the kind of job that the results aren't seen for many years.  I'm certainly hoping it's a good choice but I have very little to go on.  GCG!

I think that Rutherford is in full control of all aspects of the Canucks

These new hires will all answer to President Rutherford, that is why he chose them!

This is polar opposite to what last President Linden had!

Make no mistake, This is now Rutherfords team now,

He has the final say on everything (except coaching)

Edited by Mackcanuck
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Mackcanuck said:

I think that Rutherford is in full control of all aspects of the Canucks

These new hires will all answer to President Rutherford, that is why he chose them!

This is polar opposite to what last President Linden had!

Make no mistake, This is now Rutherfords team now,

He has the final say on everything (except coaching)

thats kind of what "president" means. Rutherford wasn't hired to be the Canucks Facilitator 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ShawnAntoski said:

JBs' biggest mistake was, he chose the wrong coaches for his roster.  Hoping JR, would look into re evaluating the crew, in Abby when it comes to developing prospects.

And yet the coaching staff before Green and new coaches aren’t able to get different results either…

• Vintage 1

20 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

Canucks fans are a tough crowd. They just hired someone and right away there's people bashing the hire and spewing negativity. Give these people a chance! 

JR is assembling a team who plan on bringing a championship to VAN. What's there to complain about? They're making smart hires with their analytics department, they hired Castonguay which is a very positive step. 

Looking at PIT's drafting over the years and blaming Allvin is ridiculous. Forget who they drafted, they won Cups. 

I think people have been pretty level headed to the announcements so far. If anything, there seems to be quite a bit of extreme misguided optimism and this notion that we have this vast & diverse management group. That's far from true, we have the Pittsburgh Penguins management 2.0 circa 2019. This wave of vocal optimism sets up huge & probably unreachable short term expectations, imo. 

The same people that lost their minds when we traded firsts for Miller, OEL & Garland seem to be the ones most excited by the recent hirings. And for context, this exact management team has traded firsts for the likes of Ryan Reaves and Jason Zucker in recent years lol. This group has done some things really well in the past, and made some outright terrible decisions as well. Let's hope they are more experienced now and do more of what worked well for them. The next two years of the decisions they make will be crucial for the next decade of our team's results.

• Cheers 3

3 minutes ago, 13231 said:

I think people have been pretty level headed to the announcements so far. If anything, there seems to be quite a bit of extreme misguided optimism and this notion that we have this vast & diverse management group. That's far from true, we have the Pittsburgh Penguins management 2.0 circa 2019. This wave of vocal optimism sets up huge & probably unreachable short term expectations, imo. 

That’s par for the course every time there’s a regime change. When Gillis was fired, everyone was clamouring for Benning, over the moon when he was hired, and praised him to the nth degree when he first started making moves. Then the new car smell wore off and people became more critical. 

Its the exact same thing I expect to see here, and with management groups after.

• Cheers 3

I'm looking forward to the TDL and Draft.

Wouldn't that be amazing if the Canucks made the playoffs AND ended up with another 1st? 

This version of the Canucks has been pretty impressive since Boudreau's hiring. It's next man up and they're giving a good effort. Teams are not walking all over them. Even with Horvat, Miller, Demko etc out, they're still in games and picking up points. What if they traded Horvat for another 1st+?  I believe this team can still make the playoffs without him. 

This place just makes me sit back and laugh sometimes. 95% of the people here know more about rocket science or malaria than they know about this management group, Allvin included. Which is literally nothing. The internet giveth ... and most of it is crap. :lol: In reality we have no clue what this will look like, who'll be responsible for what, what they've done in the past, what there current agenda is, who will be responsible for drafting, or what they had for breakfast. The only thing we do know is Miller will be traded within two weeks. :frantic: Ha ha I joke, I joke!

• Cheers 4

14 minutes ago, Gawdzukes said:

This place just makes me sit back and laugh sometimes. 95% of the people here know more about rocket science or malaria than they know about this management group, Allvin included. Which is literally nothing. The internet giveth ... and most of it is crap. :lol: In reality we have no clue what this will look like, who'll be responsible for what, what they've done in the past, what there current agenda is, who will be responsible for drafting, or what they had for breakfast. The only thing we do know is Miller will be traded within two weeks. :frantic: Ha ha I joke, I joke!

its kinda true. 

But we do know a lot of things that can give us some hope, like the resume's of the folks brought in. 

One thing that occurs to me about the concerns over some nepotism with Allvin, is Rutherford kept him in the organization. Allvin was with the Pen's for something like 8 or 9 years before JR took over, and didn't broom him. If he was a dud, he wouldn't have lasted through 3 different management groups in Pitts. 

Edited by JM_
  • Cheers 2

3 minutes ago, JM_ said:

its kinda true. 

But we do know a lot of things that can give us some hope, like the resume's of the folks brought in. 

One thing that occurs to be about the concerns over some nepotism with Allvin, is Rutherford kept him in the organization. Allvin was with the Pen's for something like 8 or 9 years before JR took over, and didn't broom him. If he was a dud, he wouldn't have lasted through 3 different management groups in Pitts. 

I agree that Allvin doesn't necessarily look only like a nepotism-type hire.  

Optics will always imply some kind of bias because of JR's past relationship, but that doesn't necessarily mean that Allvin was not the best person for the job out of those interviewed.

At the very least it's good to see the new management team come together.  Hopefully it will help with the evaluation of the team so that important decisions are made soon.

• Vintage 1

6 minutes ago, JM_ said:

its kinda true. 

One thing that occurs to me about the concerns over some nepotism with Allvin, is Rutherford kept him in the organization. Allvin was with the Pen's for something like 8 or 9 years before JR took over, and didn't broom him. If he was a dud, he wouldn't have lasted through 3 different management groups in Pitts. 

Wasn't it Rutherford who hired Hextall? Lots of questions surrounding that situation. Bob Clarke flips out on TV talking about all the bad moves Hextall made in Philly. No sugar coating. Hextall moves to Pitt and Rutherford ends up retiring. Now Allvin leaves. Easy to speculate.  Nice comments from Burkie on Allvin.