The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Canucks name Patrik Allvin as GM

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

Patrik Allvin as GM  

180 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Just now, Canucks Curse said:

https://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/draft/teams/dr00007475.html

Pitt drafting 1999-2016 actually looks pretty good guys, many many long nil careers- matt moulson, biz nasty, Eric Christiansen, brooks orpik ( a key guy in their cup run), didn't know Letang was a 3rd rounder lol, rust, guetnzel, max Talbot - another key guy for them, Danny Carrillo, Olli Mattaa was a great pick until he got hurt, Tyler Kennedy, Alex goglioski- this actually may be one of the best drafting franchises over than 17 year span, not to mention Fleury, Sid, Gino and Staal lol!!!!

lol, they also drafted bortuzzo and Jake Muzzin, they literally draft winners that are hard to play against, all these guys essentially have 1 thing in common and that is that these guys are miserably hard to play against

37 minutes ago, N4ZZY said:

I mean, how good is Pittsburgh’s scouting department? 

Doesn’t strike me as strong as Tampa Bay’s. 

Can't really judge drafting under his watch just yet.

Allvin was promoted after spending several years as Director of European scouting - Pittsburgh must have seen something in him to be worth the promotion.

Was named director of amateur scouting for 2017/18 per eliteprospects - 2018 was the Dahlin/Hughes draft.  Only 18 players from that draft have played at least 50 NHL games so far and only 10 have played 100 games.  That draft class is for the most part still waiver free for another full season.

Calen Addison was their 1st pick as 53rd overall.  He was traded as part of the Zucker trade.  The Wild are very high on him and he's ear-marked as Dumba's replacement.  He's being developed in the AHL - Guerin doesn't believe in rushing prospects and was recently sent back down after playing quite well during a brief call up.  

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Nave said:

I kind of wish we still had Benning. 

Really??? Do the names Tanev, Toffoli, Schmidt, Joulevi, Virtanen, etc. ring a bell with you?

Everything Jim Rutherford has done so far gives you hope that the Canuck management actually has a plan. He has made some very classy moves including (and especially) the hiring of Emilie Castonguay. If he thinks Allvin is the right person then let's give him a chance. After 50+ years of cheering for this team, you learn to live on hope.

Edited by brokensticks

4 hours ago, MaxVerstappen33 said:

And they had one 1.st round pick in 6 years because JR spent them all 

Meanwhile Benning spends our 9th overall on gems like OEL and trades them for the likes of Gudbranson and the likes, netting us bottom 5 to 10 finishes. I rather have JR

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, brokensticks said:

Really??? Do the names Tanev, Toffoli, Schmidt, Joulevi, Virtanen, etc. ring a bell with you?

Everything Jim Rutherford has done so far gives you hope that the Canuck management actually has a plan. He has made some very classy moves including (and especially) the hiring of Emilie Castonguay. If he thinks Allvin is the right person then let's give him a chance. After 50+ years of cheering for this team, you learn to live on hope.

We have smart people in management now instead of dimwits like Weisbrod who couldnt fax the proper papers to NHL head office leading to Flames getting fined. I mean Benning and Weisbrod was just another version of dumb and dumber.

There is not enough information at hand to properly assess this hiring as a fan, and we definitely do not have the insights that JR does. That being said, and with the information that is available, I really hope Allvin is surrounded and supported by a much better scouting staff than he headed. This hiring is something that will be evaluated properly 3-4 years down the line, but I certainly hope Allvin is capable of succeeding at the task in hand and is not an experiment by JR. We cannot afford to have a hit or miss GM right now, we need a guy who can strongly build around this core and get it over the top. 

4 minutes ago, brokensticks said:

Its tje first time Canucks have a cup winning president building the management from the ground up. So I have really high hopes.

1 minute ago, 13231 said:

There is not enough information at hand to properly assess this hiring as a fan, and we definitely do not have the insights that JR does. That being said, and with the information that is available, I really hope Allvin is surrounded and supported by a much better scouting staff than he headed. This hiring is something that will be evaluated properly 3-4 years down the line, but I certainly hope Allvin is capable of succeeding at the task in hand and is not an experiment by JR. We cannot afford to have a hit or miss GM right now, we need a guy who can strongly build around this core and get it over the top. 

Well  good thing he has many smart people around him and JR at the top guiding us. Its not like Benning who only had Aquaman at the top to ask for advice while being saddle by someone even dumber than him as AGM.

1 hour ago, mll said:

Can't really judge drafting under his watch just yet.

Allvin was promoted after spending several years as Director of European scouting - Pittsburgh must have seen something in him to be worth the promotion.

Was named director of amateur scouting for 2017/18 per eliteprospects - 2018 was the Dahlin/Hughes draft.  Only 18 players from that draft have played at least 50 NHL games so far and only 10 have played 100 games.  That draft class is for the most part still waiver free for another full season.

Calen Addison was their 1st pick as 53rd overall.  He was traded as part of the Zucker trade.  The Wild are very high on him and he's ear-marked as Dumba's replacement.  He's being developed in the AHL - Guerin doesn't believe in rushing prospects and was recently sent back down after playing quite well during a brief call up.  

Exactly. If you actually look at pick value/position/volume for Pittsburgh’s drafts from 2018-21 (when Allvin was Director of Amateur Scouting), it’s a near historic low, for a four year period in the NHL, in terms of what Penguins management actually gave their scouts to work with, in actual draft picks.

19 picks total. Zero top-10. 1 first rounder. Average pick position #130 overall. Yeesh!

Seriously, you probably have to go back to 2008-11 Sharks drafts to find a worse average pick position.

And I can’t think of a team that’s made fewer than 19 picks in a four draft period.

Not to mention that draft success generally needs to be judged about five years out, especially when you’re talking mostly late round picks.

It might be fair to judge Allvin on Pittsburgh’s European drafted players during his time as their Director of European Scouting (2013-17 drafts).

(EDIT: Just looking quickly, they drafted 8 Euros from 2013-17, with 1 first rounder, 2 seconds, 4 fifths, and 1 sixth round pick. Obvious hits on Kapanen and Simon (both are already over the 200 GP mark), Gustavsson (G) has 21 games in net, and Bjorkqvist (D) has played 6 games this season. So that’s half their 2013-17 Euro picks having at least appeared in the NHL already. If that was one average year’s draft (and the total pick value is pretty close), it would be judged a success.)

And it might be informative to look at both Pittsburgh and Montreal’s Swedish picks, during the time when Allvin was an amateur scout (2007-12 and 2003-06, respectively).

(EDIT: Pittsburgh made two Swedish draft picks between 2007-12, Ekbom in the sixth round, zero GP, and a hit with Sundqvist in the third round, 255 NHL games and counting. Montreal picked one Swede between 2003-06, with a swing and a miss on Christopher Heino-Lindberg, drafted in the sixth round, 0GP. So 1-for-3 on Swedish picks, between 2003-12, which ain’t bad for a third and 2 sixth rounders.)

I may take a run through those picks later, if I find the time, because it’s possibly worth looking at.

(EDIT: never mind, did it already, see above.)

At least as far as what the public information might reveal. The club’s internal lists and reviews would be far more enlightening, but we aren’t privy to that information.

Edited by SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME
  • Vintage 1

15 minutes ago, DefCon1 said:

Meanwhile Benning spends our 9th overall on gems like OEL and trades them for the likes of Gudbranson and the likes, netting us bottom 5 to 10 finishes. I rather have JR

That 9th OA also did net us Garland. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

25 minutes ago, DefCon1 said:

Well  good thing he has many smart people around him and JR at the top guiding us. Its not like Benning who only had Aquaman at the top to ask for advice while being saddle by someone even dumber than him as AGM.

As with anything, there's no guarantee. The only person with a solid resume thus far is JR himself, but with how he left things in Pittsburgh, I am cautiously not as high on him as many people in the fan base are. The real evaluation of this hockey ops team will come from the trades, signings, and draft choices they makes over the next 12-18 months, not from how professionally they've talked to the media so far.  

It is also distasteful and ignorant to call Benning dumb. He did several great things for this organisation that will be appreciated with time. History will be kinder to him than many of the short sighted fans and media members that had a weird obsession with deeply scrutinizing his every move, majority of times without any relevant context or facts. 

This is a make or break moment in club history. If things are done right, we can become a perennial contender within 2-3 years. If not, we'll be back in a definite rebuild. Let's hope JR & co do the right things.