The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Oilers sign Evander Kane

3 minutes ago, Ferlands_Head said:

I rather win a damn cup than have a culture or getting along honest hard hockey or being a good citizen. 

Whatever it takes. 

It doesn’t matter if you cheat to win winning is winning 

winning by cheating is not winning- it is cheating.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Ferlands_Head said:

Tell that to Boston. 

Here's an idea for you:

Just tell people the Canucks won the cup last year, let them know you are ok with cheating; and thus decided to award the cup to your team.

No problem.

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, gurn said:

Here's an idea for you:

Just tell people the Canucks won the cup last year, let them know you are ok with cheating; and thus decided to award the cup to your team.

No problem.

You make zero sense. 

You think Boston cares they have Marchand? 

You think the Avs care they have a POS like Kadri. 

No. So why do you care about building a team full of nice guys.

12 hours ago, mll said:

With how he's playing, San Jose might not need to worry about the outcome of the dispute.  If his contract is re-instated, they should be able to trade him at 7M for another 3 seasons.  Edmonton would likely want him back and there could be more teams.

San Jose finished the season with 4.973M in cap space per CapFriendly and he has a 7M cap hit.  Could mean a 2M cap penalty for next season unless they try and argue that he would have remained buried in the minors which would reduce that amount by another 1.125M.  

Not gonna lie, it'd be funny if it happened. They'd just trade him, and even if they traded him at a loss they'd still get value back. 

• Upvote 1

First game of the play offs-next year.

Draisaitl and McDavid are lined up together.

J.T. Miller spears McDavid off the face off- Mcdavid is injured and misses the remainder of the year.

At the same time Podz slashed Drais hand, breaking 3 fingers and Drais misses the rest of the play offs.

Canucks go on to win- all good in your view- cause cheating is fine?

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, c00kies said:

Kane on a year deal is great, but if we was smart, he'd re-sign with Edmonton.

I'd like Kane too, but only 1-2 year contract maximum, as I think he'd only be decent here.

I want to see how he does against a team like Colorado first. I know people had high hopes for Calgary, but I don't think their forwards carry play against other great offenses and Marky has been historically bad against Edmonton (and has had a brutal series).

I don't see it, Edmonton could afford him at a bargain rate and he needed a landing spot where he could pile up points and work towards a big deal elsewhere. 

If you're a UFA top six player looking to build up your credentials for a single season to get paid elsewhere, who's all but guaranteed top six minutes, deciding to go play with McDavid and Draistaitl is a good choice. 

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, c00kies said:

Kane on a year deal is great, but if we was smart, he'd re-sign with Edmonton.

I'd like Kane too, but only 1-2 year contract maximum, as I think he'd only be decent here.

I want to see how he does against a team like Colorado first. I know people had high hopes for Calgary, but I don't think their forwards carry play against other great offenses and Marky has been historically bad against Edmonton (and has had a brutal series).

Do you see Kane leaving money on the table? 

• Cheers 1

23 minutes ago, guntrix said:

Do you see Kane leaving money on the table? 

No, I think his creditors would be after him even more; if he turns down a bigger contract. On top of that the guy just needs the extra too much, having seen most of his previous earnings vanish.

• Upvote 1

The thing is... Who is going to risk giving Kane term? After how things went down in SJ, and Winnipeg, you'd think GMs would be very wary of anything over 2-3 years.

The one team that might is Edmonton. At least they have proof of concept, and he's fitting in the room right now. And it's all about right now for the Oilers - those contracts they gave Hyman, Nurse, and RNH are probably not going to age well.

11 minutes ago, D-Money said:

The thing is... Who is going to risk giving Kane term? After how things went down in SJ, and Winnipeg, you'd think GMs would be very wary of anything over 2-3 years.

The one team that might is Edmonton. At least they have proof of concept, and he's fitting in the room right now. And it's all about right now for the Oilers - those contracts they gave Hyman, Nurse, and RNH are probably not going to age well.

I hope they do, the last place Edmonton should be throwing money is another top 6 forward 

6 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

I hope they do, the last place Edmonton should be throwing money is another top 6 forward 

Well, he's a great fit so far. Could see them re-signing Kane instead of Poolparty, and trading his JP's rights for a younger/cheaper player at D or bottom-6.

Edited by D-Money

16 hours ago, mll said:

With how he's playing, San Jose might not need to worry about the outcome of the dispute.  If his contract is re-instated, they should be able to trade him at 7M for another 3 seasons.  Edmonton would likely want him back and there could be more teams.

San Jose finished the season with 4.973M in cap space per CapFriendly and he has a 7M cap hit.  Could mean a 2M cap penalty for next season unless they try and argue that he would have remained buried in the minors which would reduce that amount by another 1.125M.  

How can a contract be re-instated if it was terminated and then a new contract was signed with a different team?  

If the contract were to be re-instated that would mean that the Edmonton contract never existed as Kane’s San Jose contract would still be valid. Kane cannot be contracted to two different teams at the same time. 

Legally this is not possible. The only resolution to this is to pay off Kane and possibly penalize San Jose for wrongful termination. 

4 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

How can a contract be re-instated if it was terminated and then a new contract was signed with a different team?  

If the contract were to be re-instated that would mean that the Edmonton contract never existed as Kane’s San Jose contract would still be valid. Kane cannot be contracted to two different teams at the same time. 

Legally this is not possible. The only resolution to this is to pay off Kane and possibly penalize San Jose for wrongful termination. 

The league accepted SJS's termination of Kane's contract.  They aren't going to penalise them for something they signed off on.  They accepted that he was a UFA that could sign with any team.

It's now in the hands of a neutral arbitrator with the NHL siding with SJS and the NHLPA with Kane.  

If the contract gets re-instated they'll probably just count it as a cap penalty.  Whatever can't fit under their cap this season gets carried over into next.  That's about 2M or 875K if they can argue he would have remained buried in the AHL.

11 hours ago, canuck73_3 said:

He’s done well in Edmonton so far, but I wouldn’t be one to give him term either. 1 year show me deal no ntc or nmc or no deal from me, I’d let someone else risk it on term. 

Dunno… I’d do 8 x $12,500,000 and call it a day.

• Haha 1

On 5/23/2022 at 9:37 AM, gurn said:

A culture of getting along, playing honest, hard hockey.

Being a good citizen.

Realizing that cheating to win, is not winning- it's cheating.

A player, that plays like Kane, but is not Kane, would be a good find.

On 5/25/2022 at 1:11 PM, gurn said:

winning by cheating is not winning- it is cheating.

On 5/25/2022 at 1:20 PM, gurn said:

Here's an idea for you:

No problem.

On 5/25/2022 at 1:33 PM, gurn said:

First game of the play offs-next year.

Draisaitl and McDavid are lined up together.

J.T. Miller spears McDavid off the face off- Mcdavid is injured and misses the remainder of the year.

At the same time Podz slashed Drais hand, breaking 3 fingers and Drais misses the rest of the play offs.

Canucks go on to win- all good in your view- cause cheating is fine?

23 hours ago, gurn said:

No, I think his creditors would be after him even more; if he turns down a bigger contract. On top of that the guy just needs the extra too much, having seen most of his previous earnings vanish.

So basically your saying signing Kane , is cheating or a cheater or …

interesting take .      

Has nothing to do with how he plays hockey.

Has more to do with your “morals“ .

Funny how things get blown out of proportion because somebody else has to live the same life as anybody else.

Wrong actions by any body are usually dealt with sooner or later.

Kane has stood up for himself , and answered to aligations against him over a ten year period..  and is continuing to do so if it’s necessary.

His game,  has Never waivered. 
Has never been convicted of anything,  or murder.   But usually gets treated like he has.

His game,  never waivers.

He has admitted to having a betting problem, and is getting help for that,  and having to file for bankruptcy, and deal with creditors is part of that process,  and he is.

yet, his game never waivers.

Now I’ve never seen him play any hockey to as low a level of Moore, P Kane, Marchand, B Clarke, Rocket Richard  ect.. ect… or any of the guys who would vindictively seriously hurt another player to break bones or open up a cranium or a crotch in a game.

But through everything this young man has, and is going through in his life,  I’ve seen a man stand up and answer to it,.
  And continue to rip the net without cheating it in , or having murdered anybody.

Seems drunk drivers who kill get a better rep and opportunity than the one your creating for Kane.

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, SilentSam said:

So basically your saying signing Kane , is cheating or a cheater or …

Can you show me where I said Kane is a cheater, or were I said signing Kane is cheating?

Edited by gurn