The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] Canucks getting calls on Conor Garland

3 hours ago, stawns said:

the only thing I wonder about Garland is that they've had a hard time finding a steady spot for him.  He seems to do well for a couple games and then chemistry with linemates fizzles a bit.  Truly, that's going to be the key factor in who they, keep, who they move and who they bring in.  They've got assets, now they have to use those assets to find the right pieces for the spots they have..........it could be argued that maybe Garland doesn't fit anywhere just right.

That said, they've got him long term, there's no need to rush anything with him and they have the luxury of time to let him settle into a role and spot.

I see that too sometimes. Garland is a good player, but where does he fit exactly. Is he a top six forward? Middle six? He’s definitely not bottom six. 

3 hours ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

Demko yes.

I'm still not sure about Hughes.

Skill and speed to burn yes.

Physical. Not so much.

I know right… Hughes. He’s just an all-time franchise player whose number will hang up there.

Nothing to see there.

FLA

Quinn Hughes 

VAN

Bennett

2 minutes ago, Me_ said:

I know right… Hughes. He’s just an all-time franchise player whose number will hang up there.

Nothing to see there.

FLA

Quinn Hughes 

VAN

Bennett

Man, I wish we'd traded Virtanen + for Bennett like I wanted, before their values went in complete opposite directions.

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 2

9 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Man, I wish we'd traded Virtanen + for Bennett like I wanted, before their values went in complete opposite directions.

Well, now the Panthers have a pretty good team with Reinhardt and Bennett.

Imagine Horvat, Reinhardt, Pettersson, Bennett, Lammikko as center depth…

The luxury of being above to have stealth lines; lines you form and employ strategically when needed because of the depth…

Edited by Me_

1 minute ago, Me_ said:

Hey man that’s 5 inches and 28 pounds more in the lineup. 

Sign me up.

Yes it’s definitely a guarantee that the entitled “Russian risk factor” kid who currently plays in the KHL with barely 3rd line level production would be in the lineup. He’s got attitude issues and no will to go with his skill. He’s a bust.

• Vintage 1

4 minutes ago, Me_ said:

Well, now the Panthers have a pretty good team with Reinhardt and Bennett.

Imagine Horvat, Reinhardt, Pettersson, Bennett, Lammikko as center depth…

The luxury of being above to have stealth lines; lines you form and employ strategically when needed because of the depth…

I mean Emil Heineman and a 2nd?! You telling me they wouldn't have taken Virtanen and a 3rd or something!?

• Vintage 1

I really like Connor Garland as a player.  I however think his skill set is mismatched in this lineup. For instance, Garland is a far better player than Pearson, but the cheaper Pearson fits better in the group.  

NJ/VAN makes sense to me as a player like a cheaper Zacha may be a better fit for us as a winger on this roster, perhaps with Petey, or Bo… while Garland should thrive with the Keller like skill set of Hughes, Bratt etc… just as an example of the type of hockey deal I could see occur with Garland… likely squeeze a pick out of any deal here as well. 

On 1/29/2022 at 6:35 PM, Shayster007 said:

This would be a really tough pill to swallow. We just traded a top 10 pick and a 2nd rounder to acquire this guy. Again, I'll say I have liked OELs play this year. But he had no value with that contract and could end up being a tough contract in a couple years. Garland was the prized jewel of this trade, and I couldn't imagine us getting equal value to what we have up to acquire him. Unless the return on Garland is a capable, young, top 4 Dman, this would be a really rough turn of events.

are you forgetting the 3 cap dumps in that trade/?

HOw do you see that trade, OEL for Loui, Beagle and Rooster/ garland for a 1st?

if so, why not just go OEL for Loui/Beags/Roost

The thing that some of you seem to have a real problem understanding is that when a new GM is brought in he inherits a roster and all the mistakes of the previous guy

his job is to fix the mistakes, not hope they all work out fine

He has assets and hopefully a better plan than the last guy

that is it

14 minutes ago, lmm said:

are you forgetting the 3 cap dumps in that trade/?

HOw do you see that trade, OEL for Loui, Beagle and Rooster/ garland for a 1st?

if so, why not just go OEL for Loui/Beags/Roost

The thing that some of you seem to have a real problem understanding is that when a new GM is brought in he inherits a roster and all the mistakes of the previous guy

his job is to fix the mistakes, not hope they all work out fine

He has assets and hopefully a better plan than the last guy

that is it

I'm not forgetting 1 year of cap relief at all. The trade dumped 3 bad contracts that could have been gone this summer naturally.

That's exactly how I see it. OEL didn't have value with that contract, likely a negative value. OEL has been good for us, much better defensively then I expected. That being said, he's also been much worse offensively. 

Why talk like that? What some of us have a hard time understanding? So unnecessarily condescending. I know exactly what situation the previous regime left us in. I didn't like this trade the day it happened, and I don't like it now. My post was saying this would be a tough pill to swallow if the best part about that trade was moved along. It would be a tough pill to swallow because Garland is the part of that trade I did like.

I was a Benning fan over the majority of his tenure here. That trade was a win now move to save his job, and it failed on both fronts in my eyes. It left us with one of the most expensive D cores in the league, with an OEL contract that could very well look really rough in a couple years, and we lost a very good prospect in Guenther.

Edited by Shayster007
  • Cheers 1

1 minute ago, Shayster007 said:

I'm not forgetting 1 year of cap relief at all. The trade dumped 3 bad contracts that could have been gone this summer naturally.

That's exactly how I see it. OEL didn't have value with that contract, likely a negative value. OEL has been good for us, much better defensively then I expected. That being said, he's also been much worse offensively. 

Why talk like that? What some of us have a hard time understanding? So unnecessarily condescending. I know exactly what situation the previous regime left us in. I didn't like this trade the day it happened, and I don't like it now. My post was saying this would be a tough pill to swallow if the best part about that trade was moved along. It would be a tough pill to swallow.

I was a Benning fan over the majority of his tenure here. That trade was a win now move to save his Benning, and it failed on both fronts in my eyes. 

Fair enough

I just don't see JR worrying about what was sent out for the assets he now has

when was the last time Garland won a game for us?

Miller did 3 days ago in Winnipeg

I don't think Garland has since his 6 game hot streak to start the season

I think too many fans remember that 6 game streak and think that is the player Garland is

I see him as an undersized .5-.6 player

one of about 6 undersized players on the roster, that is about 4 too many in my book

I don't think Garland necessarily needs to be the guy gone,

but if HUghes is one that stays that leaves only room for 1 of the other 5

you can't get bigger and faster and keep all the small or slow players

34 minutes ago, lmm said:

Fair enough

I just don't see JR worrying about what was sent out for the assets he now has

when was the last time Garland won a game for us?

Miller did 3 days ago in Winnipeg

I don't think Garland has since his 6 game hot streak to start the season

I think too many fans remember that 6 game streak and think that is the player Garland is

I see him as an undersized .5-.6 player

one of about 6 undersized players on the roster, that is about 4 too many in my book

I don't think Garland necessarily needs to be the guy gone,

but if HUghes is one that stays that leaves only room for 1 of the other 5

you can't get bigger and faster and keep all the small or slow players

Personally, I don't think Garland is the issue with this team. He's short, but he's not small. He doesn't play an undersized game. He may not dominate games in the same way as Miller, but I can think of several games where Garland was the player dragging the rest of the team into the fight. He players with more energy then anyone else on this team, night in and night out. He's done all this all while being our 2nd highest scoring forward and the forward with the best +/- on the team.

I know it's not JRs concern what we gave up to acquire him. But that wouldn't make it any crappier to see him traded for less then what we coughed up to get him. I was very high on Guenther, and it sucks not having him in our system. He could have given us more options in trading a playing like Boeser with a future top 6 of Podkolzins and Guenther on the right side.

• Huggy Bear 1

I mean if New York is looking at Miller and Garland why not just do a mega deal?

Miller (50% retained)

Garland

Motte

Halak

for

Lafreniere

Chytill

Schneider 

Georgiev

1st round pick 22’

2nd round pick 22’

New Yorks top 9 would be nasty:

Kreider Zibanejad Miller

Panarin Strome Garland

Motte Rooney Reaves

We get a young potential star that fits our timeline better, a third line center, a big RHD, and a 1st round pick to help restock the cupboard for our lost picks.

Edited by DeNiro
  • Huggy Bear 1