The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Why I think Miller will be traded and why Canuck fans will be somewhat disappointed with the return.

Rate this topic

nameci

I think JR knows something for certain that most Canuck fans can only speculate on.  I don’t think that Vancouver will be JT Miller’s first choice when it comes time to sign his next contract.  My opinion is that he will probably prefer to sign with an American team.  So what do we do with JT in the meantime.  A number of Canuck fans feel that we are close to being a playoff team this year, so we will need all of the intangibles that JT brings to the team.  Next year, let’s assume that we will again be in the playoff hunt and our chances would be much improved with JT on the team, so we keep him.  When all is said and done, JT walks and doesn’t resign.  Now we are in the same position as we were when Tanev, Markstrom, Stetcher and Toffoli left for cap reasons and WE GOT NOTHING IN RETURN WHEN THEY LEFT.  So I think JR will choose to sell high and get the max return for JT while he is still in his prime and we still have some leverage.

i really doubt that Schneider, Carlo or Boldy are coming our way.  I get the sense that other teams are unwilling to part with prime young assets for JT’s services.  While Canuck fans are thinking Schneider, Chytl and a first is a fair return, I think the Rangers will be unwilling to part with Schneider or even Lundquist in a trade.
I think we will harvest a good supply of picks and prospects which will fill two of JR’s requirements, create cap space and restock our prospect pool.  This definitely means that no big contracts will be coming back in trade.

One fan’s opinion.

• Cheers 1
  • Huggy Bear 1

I admit that I don't know the finer points of the business side of things but I can't understand why we would trade away our highest scoring forward and our most intense player all around just in case he becomes too expensive.  I mean other teams manage to keep and pay their superstars, why can't we keep good players here?  It's not like he's going to earn top ten dollars in the league even in a worst case scenario.  I think we need to focus more on winning games in the here and now rather than rearranging deck chairs.  We need some stability not constant player turnover.  Why should we be a doormat just to help anointed "contenders"?  GCG!

Edited by nux_win
  • Cheers 2
  • Vintage 2

I disagree with the return this team needs a proper rebuild and in 4 years when our current prospects will be in there primes any future prospects will be complimentary if the team decides to go that route which seems to be the case from all the reports coming out of Vancouver. So it seems teams are highly interested in Miller's services so the return could be quite good seems like there is a bidding war going on for JT Miller so will be interesting to see what they actually get. Miller though from everything he has said in the media seems to really like it in Vancouver and that is probably indicative with how he plays and how he is a positive force in the dressing room especially from a lot of the behind the scenes videos we are able to watch when the team posts them. So I don't really disagree with you nor agree with you its most likely somewhere in the middle.

• Like 1

send him to Colorado for Newhook and Barron, maybe we can get a pick out of it as well since dealing him this year gives teams 2 playoff runs. Fills 2 spots of need with a young C and RHD. If we can get an additional good asset like a 1st or prospect like Barron in the deal as well it might be worth moving him this year. I know he is a great player, but we can't commit long term big $ to him at age 30 onwards, we are stuck with a boat anchor OEL deal for 6 years as it is.

So trade JT this year get 3 good assets hopefully

OR

Trade JT next year and get 2 assets back?

• Like 1

It all comes down to whether or not the management team believes this team has a chance now.  If we aren't quite there, then trading Miller would net you a very nice return and solidify the team years down the road.  If we are ready for the playoffs, and to compete again, then you try to keep him.  We're actually a better team than our record shows, that losing skid at the beginning of the year under Green really hurt the team's standings this year.  I'm just glad that I don't have to make the call, and I can just sit at home and complain if it's the wrong one! ::D

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

9 minutes ago, ba;;isticsports said:

We gave up a high 1st and 3rd pick and a goalie and he is a more valuable player now on a contract, so i expect more than we paid in return than lower round picks of the same draft  rounds  minimum

Yes, but other teams will counter and say he only has 1.5 years left on his contract and will be due for a big raise. Arguing thats a strike against.

• Vintage 1

If Canucks had a better D core maybe keeping JT would be an easier decision. As it sits now we have no D in the pipeline that can fill the areas of need we have on D. We are capped out so we cant go and BUY our way to having better D either...Sadly the only way to improve it is to trade players with good value for a solid return and continue to build from the net out...

We have the Goalie, time to fix the D core then address the Forward group. JR said he wants to get faster, 2 players that lack foot speed up front are Pearson and Boeser...wonder if those 2 might be guys they look to move between now and the draft? Keep Garland, try to sign Motte to some term to lower cap hit the guy is a gamer and would be sorely lost if we move him! Why not having Lockwood AND Motte on the Canucks next year!?

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

my opinion: hang onto JT Miller unless some team is willing to give up 2  1sts or the equivalent + a decent player.

hang onto him till the summer then find out what dollars he's looking for in a re-up contract. If it's in the 8 mill range then let him know that it's too much and we'll be looking at moving him sometime in the season.

If he's got a reasonable request, dollar wise, in the area of 6-6.5 for 3 years then re-up him.

By the summer you'll have an idea as to what Boeser's camp is looking for, unless you unload him this year.

Then you can manage your budget accordingly. 

Then again if the GM team wants to lower our internal cap by say 10 mill. they'll have to get rid of at least 3 decent players getting ELC's or draft picks back. 

• Like 1
  • Vintage 3

37 minutes ago, nameci said:

I think JR knows something for certain that most Canuck fans can only speculate on.  I don’t think that Vancouver will be JT Miller’s first choice when it comes time to sign his next contract.  My opinion is that he will probably prefer to sign with an American team.  So what do we do with JT in the meantime.  A number of Canuck fans feel that we are close to being a playoff team this year, so we will need all of the intangibles that JT brings to the team.  Next year, let’s assume that we will again be in the playoff hunt and our chances would be much improved with JT on the team, so we keep him.  When all is said and done, JT walks and doesn’t resign.  Now we are in the same position as we were when Tanev, Markstrom, Stetcher and Toffoli left for cap reasons and WE GOT NOTHING IN RETURN WHEN THEY LEFT.  So I think JR will choose to sell high and get the max return for JT while he is still in his prime and we still have some leverage.

i really doubt that Schneider, Carlo or Boldy are coming our way.  I get the sense that other teams are unwilling to part with prime young assets for JT’s services.  While Canuck fans are thinking Schneider, Chytl and a first is a fair return, I think the Rangers will be unwilling to part with Schneider or even Lundquist in a trade.
I think we will harvest a good supply of picks and prospects which will fill two of JR’s requirements, create cap space and restock our prospect pool.  This definitely means that no big contracts will be coming back in trade.

One fan’s opinion.

Why did you start a thread to say the exact same things a dozen others have said? It is also very hypothetical :bored:

• Like 1
  • Vintage 1

If NYR isn't willing to part with Schneider there's no point in moving Miller. So what, let him walk "for nothing" if it means we have a shot at the playoffs next year. Selling low on him just to recoup meh assets isn't worth it. 

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

25 minutes ago, JayDangles said:

Yes, but other teams will counter and say he only has 1.5 years left on his contract and will be due for a big raise. Arguing thats a strike against.

Then they don't get Miller. Pretty much half of the playoff bound teams wants him. No shortage of suitors. 

• Cheers 1

Canucks don't need to trade Miller this season. He's still got a year left, so there isn't any pressure to move him. I think as long as playoffs are possible this season, they won't trade him.

Maybe they trade Garland and Boeser, just over $10 million, for picks, prospects and players.  

20 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

Canucks don't need to trade Miller this season. He's still got a year left, so there isn't any pressure to move him. I think as long as playoffs are possible this season, they won't trade him.

Maybe they trade Garland and Boeser, just over $10 million, for picks, prospects and players.  

He has the most value at this time, you never know when injuries are going to hit. The time is now/trade deadline, we need to sell high on our assets for once. 

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

Just now, Bure_Pavel said:

He has the most value at this time, you never know when injuries are going to hit. The time is now/trade deadline, we need to sell high on our assets for once. 

Yes, I agree, somewhat, but it's tough to predict the future. What if he's actually better next season?

24 minutes ago, JM_ said:

If NYR isn't willing to part with Schneider there's no point in moving Miller. So what, let him walk "for nothing" if it means we have a shot at the playoffs next year. Selling low on him just to recoup meh assets isn't worth it. 

There will be a market for a player like Miller, if its not NYR then trade him elsewhere. We cannot afford to let him walk for nothing, still major holes in this lineup. 

2 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

Yes, I agree, somewhat, but it's tough to predict the future. What if he's actually better next season?

Impossible to tell, but with the season he is having this year. There is a lot more room to go down then to go up. I also worry if he has another great year and we are in the last wildcard spot next year, will they even trade him or would they let him walk for a chance to make playoffs. 

If the return is underwhelming,  I think we should keep JT and push for the playoffs. If he can improve on his brain cramp plays under Boudreau's guidance, I think he is a player we need for the playoff push and there is no rush to sell him this TDL.

Then, in the off season, engage in contract talks. If he declines to sign, then explore all trade options and sell to the highest bidder. 

I think we can get at least one high prized prospect for him though especially if they can get him at this TDL.

Edited by khay
  • Vintage 1