The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

A Review of GMJB's Trades - He Did Well!

Rate this topic

HKSR

12 minutes ago, mll said:

Don't see why.  Would look at the players available at that pick till Vancouver picks next.  

Teams typically have 40 players or so on their draft lists  - they don't rank every prospects but the ones that interest them yet over 200 players get picked each year.  Teams don't have the same draft lists.

Cool, so canucks win the Bieksa trade as they would have picked Adam Fox with that 2nd round pick.

Probably would have picked Jesper Bratt instead of Candella too.  Cool! it's easy to win trades like this :lol:

17 minutes ago, HKSR said:

Cool, so canucks win the Bieksa trade as they would have picked Adam Fox with that 2nd round pick.

Probably would have picked Jesper Bratt instead of Candella too.  Cool! it's easy to win trades like this :lol:

No guarantee they would have picked that player either but gives an indication of who could have been available.  Fox wouldn't have signed in Vancouver - had his mind made up on NYR.  

5 minutes ago, mll said:

No guarantee they would have picked that player either but gives an indication of who could have been available.  Fox wouldn't have signed in Vancouver - had his mind made up on NYR.  

No guarantees either way of any team picking a specific player, therefore the best way to evaluate a trade is based on actual players selected.  Otherwise it's all arbitrary.

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, WHL rocks said:

I was just in concussion bad mood. My bad..

I knew but some times it just puts me in irritable mood and I recognize later..

Cheers my friend. 

It is all good. I remember reading about your concussion. I hope that you are feeling better.

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

2 hours ago, mll said:

Don't see why.  Would look at the players available at that pick till Vancouver picks next.  

Teams typically have 40 players or so on their draft lists  - they don't rank every prospects but the ones that interest them yet over 200 players get picked each year.  Teams don't have the same draft lists.

Good point, just because one team picked a player with our pick doesn't mean we would have

Look at our own Q Hughes I remember when he was drafted a lot of draft lists had him as 4th pick (and fell to 7th)

Every scouting team has different reasons for who they pick, so i wouldn't include who was drafted with that pick and just leave it as the pick instead, as we don't know who our scouts would have recommended selecting

11 hours ago, Timråfan said:

Well, I want to know wich player Benning would have chosen.

If he looked to fill the gaping holes in defence he could have got a new Shea Weber.

Hey what's up with Timra?  Are they going to manage staying up this year?  

7 hours ago, alucard said:

Waiting for a review of Benning FA signings, like to see that table.

the money he splashed for nothing over and over again.

LOL just spending money left and right on garbage players like Jason Dickenson. We got the double loss on that one. Traded a 3rd, signed him to a 3 year deal and hes contributed nothing. He was brought in to play centre, defensively sound and PK and hes atrocious in all of that

Edited by filthycanuck
  • Like 1

22 minutes ago, D-Money said:

So trading for Schmidt, then trading him away, were both wins?

You do realize that by allocating the money to add Schmidt the Canucks has to walk away from Tanev? I’ll admit that at the time I thought it was an upgrade, but Tanev has been an absolute beast for Calgary, at a very affordable cap hit. Seemed to affect the room too.

In hindsight, that whole situation was a giant loss for Vancouver.

Not to mention that fact that he waived his no trade clause to go to WINNIPEG pretty much sums it up.

I agree, I don't think Schmidt was an upgrade over Tanev. Im actually suprised how well Tanev has played in Calgary, good for him

7 hours ago, ba;;isticsports said:

Any title that says Benning did well I do not agree with:bigblush:

High costs and wrong timing for everything he did

I have agreed with JR's assessment (for a long time) that this team is not (and wasn't being) constructed properly (and JR should know)

Not to say that everything JB did was bad, but he certainly did not have the midas touch in constructing a cup team or timing for one and for that i will not pump his tires

Just so glad we have a management team with experience who put a value on communicating to one another and relying on each others opinion  

We have a chance to be elite again  and hope we get there

Question is, will this team be given 8 years at the helm?:P

Can't wait to see what JR does to transform this team out of the embaressment we've had the last 8 seasons. He's made some questionable moves in Pittsburgh (good gawd Pearson for Gudbranson?) but those Stanley cup rings speak volumes. Just by the way he's formed his management team, I really like where this team is heading. IMO, i think we are getting that 1st class organization shine back ever since JR has been on board

12 hours ago, DontMessMe said:

All im saying is, just because a player is currently playing in the AHL doesnt mean they are better.  Your reason for Klim > Guenther is because he is playing in AHL while the other is playing in juniors. 

Way too early to tell, and Im not a huge fan of Guenther, but you'll never know. Just because the guy is playing in the AHL right away, that no guarantee he's going to pan out. Lind and Gadjovich have been seemingly doing well when they were in our farm team, so far, their careers don't look very promising

• Haha 1

Wow lot of work there and I completely agree, not much bias there either. I was always a fan of JB, I think he had balls and he made the right trade at the right time for what this team needed at the time. You can scrutinize some moves but he always did what we needed when we needed it. The last few trades are a good example - with Sutter injured we needed depth centers, he goes and gets Dickinson (who played great in Dallas) and Lammikko and instantly fixed the problem (or at least patched it up).

I think the big reason a lot of his signings and trades don't look as good as they should is that players under-performed with us. Whether this is a coaching or scouting problem it's hard to say, but a lot of the players were brilliant beforehand and playing with the Canucks just didn't suit them or sucked the life out of them. Schmidt and Loui are prime examples of this - guys in their prime who just sucked with us. Now look at how well Schmidt is playing...

Honestly I would have still been happy with JB as our manager but we did need a change. The main reason we sucked IMO was the coaching staff, not just head coach but from top to bottom. We needed new analytics and our scouting could be better on players, but JB was a great trader and at times a brilliant drafter in the later rounds. One could fault him for the high-end drafts (Virtanen, Juolevi in particular) but then he stole a couple with Hughes and Pettersson. This is pretty standard amongst many teams but good teams pick diamonds out of the later rounds.

I'm nervous to see what the new management do with trades and even drafting because they made some absolute blunders in Pittsburgh and don't think they'll be as good as JB, but one thing is for sure - JR knows how to create a winning culture and formula which is something Green and JB really struggled with.

• Cheers 1

15 hours ago, Master Mind said:

Obviously not.

If your basis for Klimovich being better is that he's currently in the AHL, when Guenther can't play there under league rules, then this is a hopeless argument.

If the Coyotes offered Guenther for Klimovich, the Canucks would take the deal and run.

This doesn't answer the question though. They are both playing in different leagues, except Klimovich is lucky enough to play in the AHL, and is showing that he can play with men. This doesn't necessarily mean that Guenther can't - but we don't know. So how do you adequately argue that Guenther is 'better'?

The sample sizes for both players are so incredibly small and out of context that taking either side of these players is just silly.

Edited by Dazzle
  • Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Kevin Biestra said:

I don't know...if you're counting Schmidt as a win twice I think you're probably leaning a bit toward favoring Benning.

How exactly do you say the Schmidt trade is a loss?

When the first one was done, the Canucks were DEFINITIVELY the winner (on paper).

After the poor year he had, the Canucks got their 3rd round pick back - no harm, no foul. And what happened with Schmidt in Winnipeg? I don't see how you can say Benning lost in either of those trades.

• Cheers 3

4 hours ago, filthycanuck said:

Not to mention that fact that he waived his no trade clause to go to WINNIPEG pretty much sums it up.

I agree, I don't think Schmidt was an upgrade over Tanev. Im actually suprised how well Tanev has played in Calgary, good for him

:lol:

He was acquired for a 3rd round pick that the Canucks technically didn't lose in a second trade. How did the Canucks "lose"? The only loss was letting Tanev walk, which was not about Schmidt.

Edited by Dazzle
  • Cheers 2

1 hour ago, Dazzle said:

How exactly do you say the Schmidt trade is a loss?

When the first one was done, the Canucks were DEFINITIVELY the winner (on paper).

After the poor year he had, the Canucks got their 3rd round pick back - no harm, no foul. And what happened with Schmidt in Winnipeg? I don't see how you can say Benning lost in either of those trades.

Well I didn't say he lost either.  I would just call the whole thing a Mulligan.  If you make two winning trades I kind of think you come ahead better than your starting position twice over, not tread water.  He's either better than a 3rd rounder or he's not.  He's not better than one and then worse than one.

And how it looks on paper is kind of the opposite of what judging the trade results in the real world as per the thread is about.

Edited by Kevin Biestra
  • Like 1
  • Cheers 1