The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

This may be the perfect time to "TANK".

This club may be at the perfect point for a tear down job. 

If they can get an A prospect and draft picks out of each of these players they could turn this team around very quickly. We would get a great shot at the next two drafts .

Trade all of these players and show what you think each player could bring in.  Then put together a team with your trades and look at the drafts coming up . You might be surprised.

Miller -         Grade A young player     +  ____

Horvat -                       "                      +

Garland -                     "                      +

Boeser  -                      "                     +

Meyers -                      "                      +

Pearson -                     "                     +

We could put together a young club that would mature together. 

• Vintage 1

Honestly, the responsible thing right now is to sell some (not all) assets. This team NEEDS to have more futures playing, and the timing of this may just be perfect right now.

Miller is worth a significant amount of assets, and this will help the Canucks immensely. It's at least a first round pick, PLUS a top prospect, and a helpful player/prospect. Given what this team didn't have before due to a certain GM who couldn't draft worth a damn, the trade for Miller is/was a solid trade.

Horvat is also worth trading as well, but he'd be even harder to replace.

Boeser is still very young, and so is Pettersson. These two should not be considered.

• Vintage 1

The idea of losing on purpose is always going to be an insult to the very idea of sports.  Maybe, just maybe, one could make an argument for it for business reasons, and who doesn't love talking business, but from the point of view of sports, tanking is always going to be moronic.  The whole point is to try to win, each and every game.  Always.  There is honor in losing but only if one has given it a full effort.  To give anything less than a 100% effort to win, and to do so on purpose, disrespects the game, the opponents, the fans, everyone, and worst of all it both requires and sustains a lack of self respect.  It's just plain disrespectful to the idea of enjoying competition (even if you use a really big font).  GCG!

P.S. - Winning isn't everything, always trying to win is.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

I don't think the Canucks will be buyers at this TDL, as they're not a playoff team.  I believe their plan is to build the young core and get them all playing together, and in 2 years they'll be ready to compete and make a run.

Horvat

Pettersson

Hoglander

Podkolzin

Hughes

Demko

2022 1sts (plural)

2023 1sts (again)

incoming Prospects

What I like is that Allvin seems to have a real grasp of the European talent and close contacts there, and the Canucks could find some gems there, and in the college ranks too.

My guess is they'll want to clear cap and get younger, which means these guys could be off the team to start the 2022/23 season:

Miller

Boeser

Pearson

Dickinson

Motte

Sutter

Poolman

Hunt

Halak

I think they keep Garland, and I think they re-sign Chiasson, Lammikko, Highmore and Hunt.  Cheap depth guys who know the systems.

52 minutes ago, nux_win said:

The idea of losing on purpose is always going to be an insult to the very idea of sports.  Maybe, just maybe, one could make an argument for it for business reasons, and who doesn't love talking business, but from the point of view of sports, tanking is always going to be moronic.  The whole point is to try to win, each and every game.  Always.  There is honor in losing but only if one has given it a full effort.  To give anything less than a 100% effort to win, and to do so on purpose, disrespects the game, the opponents, the fans, everyone, and worst of all it both requires and sustains a lack of self respect.  It's just plain disrespectful to the idea of enjoying competition (even if you use a really big font).  GCG!

P.S. - Winning isn't everything, always trying to win is.

You miss the entire point of what is being suggested. Not just by me but by our new management , media and tons of people on this site. This is not about losing it is about redesigning this club. If trades are done correctly you could see a big influx of young talent come in.  High grade young talent plus add some draft assets that could jump start this organization and carry it into the future. 

If they get a grade A player/ prospect for each out going player you may see very little decline.

I am suggesting people be a GM and see if they can put together realistic trades that make us better in the near future.

Ignore the word Tank.  LOL

• Vintage 1

1 hour ago, appleboy said:

In my view, if done right, you'd only have to trade 2 of the these guys for JR/Allvin to change the complexion of the roster quite substantially.  

Even if you ballpark very reasonable trade scenario's involving the following you'd get a much different look on this club:

Miller to Rags for:  Schneider/2nd/Chytil.

Garland to NJD :  Foote/Bahl/3rd. 

Example

Miller     to     Rangers for Schneider , Othman and a first.

Horvat   to      Colorado  for  Newhook , Olausson and a first

Garland to      Boston for DeBrusk and Lysell and a second

Boeser   to      Min  for  Boldy and a first

Meyers   to     Anaheim for Manson and a first

Pearson  - Find a way to clear his cap?

Dickinson    ????

29 minutes ago, appleboy said:

You miss the entire point of what is being suggested. Not just by me but by our new management , media and tons of people on this site. This is not about losing it is about redesigning this club. If trades are done correctly you could see a big influx of young talent come in.  High grade young talent plus add some draft assets that could jump start this organization and carry it into the future. 

If they get a grade A player/ prospect for each out going player you may see very little decline.

I am suggesting people be a GM and see if they can put together realistic trades that make us better in the near future.

Ignore the word Tank.  LOL

Did I miss the point or did you use a misleading headline?  Frankly your comment here is an attempt at bait and switch.  Tanking is always about losing on purpose no matter how people try to candy coat it.  And you put it in large bold print in your headline so what am I supposed to think?  People always seem to want their cake and eat it too.  People get so enamored by the possibility of good draft picks that they forget that the concept of tanking is ALWAYS about losing on purpose.  And I for one won't stand for that.  I don't have respect for any professional athlete who loses on purpose.  Fans can suggest whatever they want but I'm definitely not on board with that.  Getting lucky in the draft can certainly help but trying to get a top pick on purpose is a fool's errand.  There's lots of different ways to build a good team and we should try every possible avenue, except LOSING ON PURPOSE!!  GCG!

58 minutes ago, appleboy said:

Example

Dickinson    ????

Minny says no to Boeser deal. 

3 hours ago, appleboy said:

This club may be at the perfect point for a tear down job. 

If they can get an A prospect and draft picks out of each of these players they could turn this team around very quickly. We would get a great shot at the next two drafts .

Trade all of these players and show what you think each player could bring in.  Then put together a team with your trades and look at the drafts coming up . You might be surprised.

Meyers -                      "                      +

Pearson -                     "                     +

We could put together a young club that would mature together. 

We just did that. There will be moves and balancing, but there will NOT be a wholesale rebuild. We have the components here, but we do need a little rework to smooth out our depth.

1 hour ago, appleboy said:

Example

Dickinson    ????

I'm of the opinion that we are seriously overvaluing the Canucks players.  Many of the proposals on here are waaay too optimistic (I'm not singling out just this specific proposal, but most of them on this thread).  I would be ecstatic if they turned out that way but, in reality, I think not.    e.g. the Miler proposal above - 1 piece too much.  Ditto Horvat, Garland, Myers and Boeser. 

Just my opinion.

10 minutes ago, BPA said:

What about Lambos + 1st?

Minnesota has the third best goals for/game in the league.  They also have a massive cap problem starting next season with $13k in dead cap space from the Parise/Suter buy outs.  Simply said Boeser isn’t a need. Even if he was they can’t afford him and his $7.5m QO. Especially if it’s for futures 

Edited by qwijibo
  • Like 1