The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Toronto Maple Leafs at Vancouver Canucks | Feb. 12, 2022

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

4 minutes ago, sxqhfeh said:

there are many excuses for ep40 this session, this is a new one

It is kind of tough to watch two struggling/learning rookies being glued to Petey especially when he himself is struggling.  Hogger has 16 points and Podz has 12 and we're supposed to beat a team with guys like Nylander and Tavares on their second lines.

3 hours ago, *Buzzsaw* said:

I disagree.

I think this team can play a lot better defensively.... they need to focus on contesting the neutral zone better and being more aggressive in their 5 on 5 man on man coverage in the D-Zone.

Tonight was just CR*P defensively.

Missing the high-octane, shifty & crisp passing of Quinn Hughes was no small thing.

Having Hamonic back in the line-up & playing big minutes after barely practicing with the team post-injury is also something that will correct itself shortly. 

Looking forward to some Post-Covid consistency before any more stones are thrown at this team’s talent or effort level.

Get real! We are still operating in the twilight zone of abnormal here.

D-depth, more hulk in a few places & maybe another veteran with scoring touch & face-off reliability to replace a savy shut-down player like Sutter & this team will be surging on in the standings again, in no time. 

Edited by viking mama
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

I don’t know about all of you, but I didn’t think that Miller empty net goal was offside. When he first scored I thought it might be, but in those replays there was no conclusive shot I saw that had Miller over the line entirely before the puck entirely was over the line. It looked like the exact same time.

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

1 minute ago, Slegr said:

I don’t know about all of you, but I didn’t think that Miller empty net goal was offside. When he first scored I thought it might be, but in those replays there was no conclusive shot I saw that had Miller over the line entirely before the puck entirely was over the line. It looked like the exact same time.

Sorry bud... but I think you are reaching on this one... but nice try.  ;)

2 minutes ago, *Buzzsaw* said:

Hockey is not a game of individuals.. it is a team game... and how the players interact determines their success.  Sure, a superstar can take the puck end to end every once in a while, but unless he is on the same page as the rest of the team and the rest of the team is working with him, that team doesn't win games.

Marner and Mathews are a partnership... but its not just them... you see the same style of play with Nylander and Tavares and the the Leafs defense.  They all play the same fluid interchanging positionally style... they are continually rotating positions and passing off.

That is why they are so successful offensively, not because Marner or Mathews picks up the puck and pulls off an individual effort.

Look at the number of shots that Mathews/Tavares/Marner/etc. had in the game tonight... if Boeser had that many opportunities then he'd be scoring a lot more.

The Leafs generated 50 shots because they are able to create open spaces for shots with their fluid movement.

I'm mainly agreeing with you, it's just they also generate so many shots because fast skill players can whip the puck around and make the system work better.  The top teams all have boat loads of skilled player not just a great coach.  Boudreau is a very good coach we just aren't nearly as skilled as most teams

Also, Matthews and Marner were pulling off individual efforts all night.  Matthews is an absolute machine as much as I hate to admit it 

1 hour ago, RU SERIOUS said:

I obviously can't comment on her management abilities but definately agree with you on her poor performance as Scout for the Crak-Heads.     She certainly missed the boat down there.   No matter we all have to give her a chance because maybe there are things we aren't aware of in regards to her tenure in seattle.    Time will tell - until then she has a clean slate with us!

Remember she's one voice in the room. Unless someone publishes an expansion draft list and draft list from her we don't know. In the end Ron Francis made the decision.

If you look at the 2021 Draft choices (Not the expansion draft), they're pretty solid picks. It looks to me like Francis is going for the long game. Trying to build similar to Nashville. 

I think the big thing is a lot of the GM's when Vegas expansion draft hit, panicked. They gave Vegas draft picks to take only certain players. Yet Vegas got a motivated MAF. 

The biggest coup was getting Shea Theodore from Anaheim and Jonathan Marchessault from Florida. The problem now is, Vegas has to try to live up to the first year. 

They've made a lot of trades. And they themselves are in a bind cap-wise now. 

• Like 1
  • Vintage 1

52 minutes ago, wai_lai416 said:

Lol if shesterkin doesn't have much of a track record to go off at the NHL level.. then same can be said of demko who have what 25 more games played? Both have been great but save % wise shesterkins been on another level since entering the league 

I suppose so? Demko's been unreal, but I'm reluctant to compare him to tenders who've played at a high standard for years until he's actually done so 

But in the context of who I'd consider trading for and players playing at similar levels, his contract is what wins things out for me 

4 hours ago, Coconuts said:

No, it's not the same actually. Not even remotely. 

Demko stops pucks, only one player on the team stops pucks. If Ovi isn't scoring every night they're still a powerhouse team that wins more than it loses, and have been for the most part since his rookie season. If Demko doesn't stand on his head tonight we don't win, plain and simple. 

Demko's the only reason we won, because they could have easily run up the score during the second and third if he'd been anything less than spectacular. 

Oh and did Demko score those 3 goals tonight? Seems to me like we wouldn't have won if we didn't you know, score more goals than the Leafs. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, viking mama said:

Canucks cleared a lot of rebounds away for Demmer. The Leafs not so much for their ‘tender. I think we need to give some credit to the team for that. 

You go right ahead. I wasn't impressed by our game tonight.

Play in front of him defensively or not, he stopped 53 shots, he's the only reason we won imo. Anything less than him being spectacular and we get lit up regardless of the play in front of him.

You're welcome to disagree.

Edited by Coconuts

1 minute ago, buddhahoodlum said:

Oh and did Demko score those 3 goals tonight? Seems to me like we wouldn't have won if we didn't you know, score more goals than the Leafs. 

If Demko doesn't stand on his head three goals scored wouldn't have mattered, because we'd have given up a lot more than three.

1 minute ago, Coconuts said:

You go right ahead. 

Play in front of him defensively or not, he stopped 53 shots, he's the only reason we won imo. Anything less than him being spectacular and we get lit up regardless of the play in front of him.

You're welcome to disagree.

I loathe Toronto. But their top 6 forwards are dangerous. They didn't just get a lot of shots against Vancouver, they got a lot of shots against Calgary who you could argue have a better defence, and a goalie on par with Demko. But the strategy of playing high octane offence to outscore your opponents doesn't work. That's why they've lost back to back. 

• Vintage 1

4 hours ago, HKSR said:

We won't agree, and that's fine.  I personally think we would be so foolish to waste such a huge value contract in Demko.  When he makes $10m along with Hughes and Petey presumably $9m+ you can kiss Stanley Cup goodbye.  

If that's what they all are going to make, then a nice run or two, or cup is likely already happened.     

14 minutes ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

Remember she's one voice in the room. Unless someone publishes an expansion draft list and draft list from her we don't know. In the end Ron Francis made the decision.

If you look at the 2021 Draft choices (Not the expansion draft), they're pretty solid picks. It looks to me like Francis is going for the long game. Trying to build similar to Nashville. 

I think the big thing is a lot of the GM's when Vegas expansion draft hit, panicked. They gave Vegas draft picks to take only certain players. Yet Vegas got a motivated MAF. 

The biggest coup was getting Shea Theodore from Anaheim and Jonathan Marchessault from Florida. The problem now is, Vegas has to try to live up to the first year. 

They've made a lot of trades. And they themselves are in a bind cap-wise now. 

Vegas should be in a cap bind now - they are a legitimate contender and will be for probably another 3-4 seasons until their vets seriously start to decline.   The only thing that could mess with that was Eichel maybe.   

1 hour ago, RU SERIOUS said:

Same here!  We had a good swath of Canucks fans in our section to drown out the Leaf fans but overall I think there were much more Leaf fans.  The mystifying part is that only STH's got to attend that game and don't tell me that many of our STH's are Leafs fans, so what it does tell me is that alot of STH's sold their tickets off. 

That speaks volumes and tells you what type of fan base we really have.  I would have expected hardly any Leaf fans tonight and the complete opposite happened.  Think about that for a minute!   

In fairness they've been coming out in droves to Canuck games since the early 90's ... that's when i first re-call the "Go Leafs Go" vs the "Go Canaucks Go" and "Leaf Sucks!" chants.     Don't know why our fans don't make it a little more dangerous to come into our building though - wouldn't survive doing this in Montreal for example, PHI or PIT either.     On the flip side there is always a very healthy Canuck contingent cheering "Go Canucks Go" in OTT lol...and it gets pretty riled up their too.  

1 hour ago, *Buzzsaw* said:

First of course, Demko was the only reason the Canucks won this game... rest of the team, (excluding Motte) didn't deserve it.

Man I hate this freakin' collapse to the net that the Canucks do.... this is the same bad habit they developed during Green's tenure.

They have to be more aggressive in contesting the blueline and their man on man coverage... especially 5 on 5.

Right now the only guy who is aggressive defensively 5 on 5 is Motte.  In fact as far as I'm concerned, Motte should have gotten 2nd star in this game.  He saved a couple goals with his backchecks and his shot/assist on the Lammiko goal was the key.

BB, you gotta get these guys being more aggressive and stop with this collapse to the net and surrendering the blue line.

By the way, not sure I like having Miller on the wing with Horvat at center.... reason why>>> Because that means our faceoff win percentage goes in the toilet because our two best faceoff winners are on the same line.  Anyone notice the Leafs won 55% of the faceoffs, and a higher percentage when it was important???

Yeah, yeah, it is great to beat the Leafs... but this was not a win which I take pride in... it was only the fact we have a goaltender who is one of the best that allowed it to happen.  And it is impossible even for Demko to keep up that kind of performance... a goalie can't make 50 saves night after night.

This game was a win... but the Canucks can't keep playing like this.

Would suspect this is the message BB gives the players(privately), & discusses with the other coaches. Conversely, he gives a brave, defiantly positive face to the press. He must know these guys are giving it their best, thus no need to add pressure. They've also relied on a young, inexperienced blueline, & were missing their young star today.

After the TDL & if they're strongly in the hunt, then I'd guess his private & public assessment wouldn't vary too much.

Of course this approach ain't sustainable - but they've been scrounging lots of pts through lean, decimated lineups & constant change.

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, viking mama said:

She is going to use her extensive hockey knowledge & intuition to scout for the intangibles like hockey sense, social maturity, intelligence, character & heart - as well as for skill - so there are no more Virtanens in the lot. 

She will also be involved in player development - to make sure the team & this city has reps we can all be proud of win of lose.

We will all feel even better about praising, revering & cheering-on a team like that to be Champions - and they will be!   

Will I am against what Virtanen did. And how many Virtanens have we had that this makes her needed  to fill that role? Can that even be scouted in a 17 year old kid. 

Again, we shall see but Kraken suck and she said that she was scouting all the teams to find the best players especially on the coast. 

1 hour ago, *Buzzsaw* said:

I disagree.

I think this team can play a lot better defensively.... they need to focus on contesting the neutral zone better and being more aggressive in their 5 on 5 man on man coverage in the D-Zone.

Tonight was just CR*P defensively.

You say that but I saw it as the forwards not taking a pass, giving a bad pass or skating away from the puck instead of to the puck.