The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Canadiens trade Tyler Toffoli to Flames for Tyler Pitlick, Emil Heineman, 2022 1st-round pick, 2024 5th-round pick

5 hours ago, Coconuts said:

Encouraging, but Rathbone is an LD whereas Schneider is an RD. Schneider wouldn't have as many guys to jump in Van, whereas Rathbone isn't bumping OEL or Hughes any time soon. Not unless he or someone else is playing their off side.

The more Rathbone develops, the more I think we should probably get a good look on him in the NHL before we simply state that he can't bump OEL.  We could simply have an offensive minded LHD side, and a defensive minded RHD side.  I'm fine with that if every defence pairing has a top notch offensive threat from the back end.

With that being said, Lundkvist from NYR would be so heavily redundant, that I really don't think he'd be worth acquiring unless Laf or Kakko is the forward coming back.

2 hours ago, HKSR said:

The more Rathbone develops, the more I think we should probably get a good look on him in the NHL before we simply state that he can't bump OEL.  We could simply have an offensive minded LHD side, and a defensive minded RHD side.  I'm fine with that if every defence pairing has a top notch offensive threat from the back end.

With that being said, Lundkvist from NYR would be so heavily redundant, that I really don't think he'd be worth acquiring unless Laf or Kakko is the forward coming back.

It's possible, doesn't he have one more year of not requiring waivers? I'm not sure he makes the roster out of camp next season, it also depends on what coaching and management want in that 3D slot.

That being said, I get what you're saying about the right and left sides.

If Lundqvist were to be acquired I imagine it'd require NYR giving up a better forward? If Schneider, maybe a worse one? I suppose it depends on how much NY values Lundqvist vs Schneider? Or how much our management values each?

4 hours ago, Phat Fingers said:

Guys,

What about Martin, Silvos and Dipeitro who is only 22.  What about Rathbone?  Utunnen, Jurmo, McDonough ?  

Plus we have both our 1st and 2nd from a recent draft on the roster who are both under 20.  

our most promising young players, Hughes and Pettersson are both well worth keeping and the lead in Pettersson is has lots of room to show improvement and Hughes needs to take some steps that come with time and adversity.  

so let’s not start tanking on our prospects just yet.   

but let’s not give away futures to now players for now.  Need to maintain and grow the pool.  

but by no means is the future dim.  

It's not my intention to tank our prospects, we've got some intriguing players. But we don't have many I'd really consider blue chip prospects.

We do, but I consider them to be more graduates than prospects at this point. I'll be surprised if either sees time in Abbotsford.

I do agree we shouldn't be giving away futures though, most of our top prospects have graduated in recent years so we need to restock the cupboards. Always gotta balance competing with finding and developing that next crop of players to be competitive and maintain a competitive roster.

The future is uncertain, now more than ever, but we've got some good young pieces to build around.

2 hours ago, Fanuck said:

I'm guessing he means Pod/Hog, but Hog isn't under 20 and Pod will be 21 in June so.....maybe he's fabricating two other kids on the roster we don't know about lol...

Oops sorry, we have two young players one rookie and another a sophomore, who are slightly older than I described in error.  But call it what you want.  

3 hours ago, D-Money said:

Logically, we'll be lucky if just 2 of those guys end up regular NHL-ers, let alone impact ones.

Every team has a bunch of prospects they draft in rounds 3-7 every year, plus additional signed undraftees. Some look promising at lower levels, but by far the majority don't make it. A few years ago you could have said the same thing about Nikita Tryamkin, Adam Gaudette, Cole Cassels, Guillaume Brisebois, Lukas Jasek, Carl Neill, Dmitri Zhukenov, Jordan Subban, Anton Cederholm, etc - but how many of those guys are making a difference at the NHL level?

I gotta say, you are very odd in your way of conflating the prospects taken in the worst era of drafting in club history, with the best single era in drafting in club history as equal in potential or ability.  I would say it disingenuous, but some like Fancanuck would call it fabricating…. Lol.   

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Phat Fingers said:

Oops sorry, we have two young players one rookie and another a sophomore, who are slightly older than I described in error.  But call it what you want.  

Hey sorry PF, I was kidding, I think we all knew the players you meant.  We're lucky to have these two like you said, but I think we can all agree, the goal if Miller is traded is to help build the prospect/young roster player pool - that absolutely has to be one of the returns in a Miller trade, young roster player + other asset(s). 

On 2/14/2022 at 11:11 AM, AV. said:

Trade deadline over a month away and Mr. Treliving has gone and done his business early.  Meanwhile, a certain former GM once "ran out of time" on the same player. 

Makes you wonder...

You do realize that former GM traded for the exact same player on Feb 17th right?

• Cheers 1

5 hours ago, Chris12345 said:

What would you say his height/weight was?

I have this weird thing with players and their height/weight. I find most players are on the small side and lie in the program.

Lucic I'm guessing isn't one of those.

Oh man, I'm terrible with this but... at least 6'3, 220-230. Looked like a rugby player.

5 hours ago, Phat Fingers said:

I gotta say, you are very odd in your way of conflating the prospects taken in the worst era of drafting in club history, with the best single era in drafting in club history as equal in potential or ability.  I would say it disingenuous, but some like Fancanuck would call it fabricating…. Lol.   

:mellow:

Almost every prospect I mentioned was drafted by Benning.

1 hour ago, IBatch said:

Or watch him get injured.   Who cares. 

Cowtown overpaid for someone that doesn't bring speed or toughness to their top 6. Secondary scoring, sure maybe. Still not enough to get by Colorado if Marky stumbles at all. 

• Cheers 2