The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Canadiens trade Tyler Toffoli to Flames for Tyler Pitlick, Emil Heineman, 2022 1st-round pick, 2024 5th-round pick

16 minutes ago, qwijibo said:

Calgary needed to send out some money to make the deal work.  At this point in the season on the size of the contract it was a negligible amount.  I can’t imagine it inflated the price much.  Montreal got the 1st and a prospect they wanted. Maybe Calgary added the 5th to take Pitlick. It certainly wasn’t more substantial than that 

Pitlick is making $1.75m this season, has 2 assists in 25 games, and been a healthy scratch. You don't take that player in a trade unless there's something extra in it for you. He's negative value. Taking negative value in a deal increases the return. This was the point being made, not whether Montreal could afford it, or was still saving money. Taking money back in a trade is fine when the player is worth the money. When he's not it's just a cap dump. Cap dumps add to the cost.

• Cheers 2

4 hours ago, Baggins said:

Pitlick is making $1.75m this season, has 2 assists in 25 games, and been a healthy scratch. You don't take that player in a trade unless there's something extra in it for you. He's negative value. Taking negative value in a deal increases the return. This was the point being made, not whether Montreal could afford it, or was still saving money. Taking money back in a trade is fine when the player is worth the money. When he's not it's just a cap dump. Cap dumps add to the cost.

So you think that the cost to get Toffoli from LA was inflated because they sent Schaller and his 1.9M the other way? 

Edited by mll
  • Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Dirtman said:

Flames are going to be a tough team to beat in the playoffs. Tyler Foli definitely just made them that much better. They're scoring in bunches and Marky is playing lights out as well, should be interesting!

Yeah, I'd put money down that they'll be able to beat the Avs.  I'm not sure about Vegas though.  I think it all depends on Lehner.  If he can match Marky, then I give the edge to Vegas.  Minny is a toss up for me... if Boldy keeps playing the way he has been, then they'll be a force to be reckoned with too.

I'd go with a Vegas vs Calgary Western final...

• Cheers 1

18 minutes ago, HKSR said:

Yeah, I'd put money down that they'll be able to beat the Avs.  I'm not sure about Vegas though.  I think it all depends on Lehner.  If he can match Marky, then I give the edge to Vegas.  Minny is a toss up for me... if Boldy keeps playing the way he has been, then they'll be a force to be reckoned with too.

I'd go with a Vegas vs Calgary Western final...

Could literally be anyone. Still 30 games left. Possibly more trades and the progress in Eichel will be very telling. Vegas hasn't been overly great this year. Very beatable right now.

3 minutes ago, Gawdzukes said:

Could literally be anyone. Still 30 games left. Possibly more trades and the progress in Eichel will be very telling. Vegas hasn't been overly great this year. Very beatable right now.

Oh of course, but if you were to put money down right now... who would you predict is the final 2 for the West?

5 minutes ago, HKSR said:

Oh of course, but if you were to put money down right now... who would you predict is the final 2 for the West?

I wouldn't normally make any predications until the stretch drive but I'll say Minnesota Colorado, or maybe St. Louis. Calgary is in the middle of a hot streak and like I said Vegas has had some serious issues this year. I predict it will be two Central teams.

10 hours ago, Baggins said:

Yes, this. Although Pitlick's actual cash salary is $2.2m. Paying Pitlick a million dollars for the rest of the season (prorated) when he may not even be able to crack MTL's top 12 is not negligible, it's considerable. A huge consideration ? No, but it would certainly affect the value. 

3 hours ago, Gawdzukes said:

I wouldn't normally make any predications until the stretch drive but I'll say Minnesota Colorado, or maybe St. Louis. Calgary is in the middle of a hot streak and like I said Vegas has had some serious issues this year. I predict it will be two Central teams.

That only works if the 7th seed wildcard team is from the Central, and they take out both Pacific teams. 

17 hours ago, FaninMex said:

We did not give them those players. They chose to sign there when they reached UFA. Those players could have signed anywhere. 

Yeah I'm well aware of that.  What I meant was that we didn't get anything for them.  We let them walk and so they were essentially gifted to Calgary (or any other team).  

7 hours ago, BlastPast said:

Yes, this. Although Pitlick's actual cash salary is $2.2m. Paying Pitlick a million dollars for the rest of the season (prorated) when he may not even be able to crack MTL's top 12 is not negligible, it's considerable. A huge consideration ? No, but it would certainly affect the value. 

800k for Pitlick given the days left to the season. 

You really believe Benning/ownership preferred paying more to get Toffoli then simply waiving Schaller to the AHL and one of their extras.  

46 minutes ago, mll said:

800k for Pitlick given the days left to the season. 

You really believe Benning/ownership preferred paying more to get Toffoli then simply waiving Schaller to the AHL and one of their extras.  

I, and others, have tried to explain this very simple concept and you  seem incapable of understanding the simplest thing. Believe whatever you want to believe.

On 2/17/2022 at 7:33 AM, mll said:

So you think that the cost to get Toffoli from LA was inflated because they sent Schaller and his 1.9M the other way? 

Of course it was. You don't take a bad contract out the goodness of your heart. Schaller played a whopping 2 games for LA. There has to be something in it for you.

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/18/2022 at 11:41 PM, Baggins said:

Of course it was. You don't take a bad contract out the goodness of your heart. Schaller played a whopping 2 games for LA. There has to be something in it for you.

I've assumed that, more often than not, these extra players are included to "balance" (not the right word) the number of contracts which one team has with relation to the 50 contract limit, as much as it has to do with the cap. There usually seems to be a couple of contract wiggle room with each team.

I currently see Calgary is at 46 contracts (Toffoli in, Pitlick out) while Montreal is at 48. Perhaps Calgary's desire to include Pitlick in the trade is in part due to their plans to be active at the TDL, so having more roster spots available would be advantageous in getting some additional depth. Pitlick doesn't really hurt Montreal's cap this year (with Toffoli being moved), and he may not e signed for next year, and (I'm assuming) Montreal isn't going to be all that active in bringing in lots of contracts at the TDL, without a corresponding number going out.

regards,  G.

On 2/17/2022 at 9:33 AM, Dirtman said:

Flames are going to be a tough team to beat in the playoffs. Tyler Foli definitely just made them that much better. They're scoring in bunches and Marky is playing lights out as well, should be interesting!

Yeah, JM is the x factor and most important part of there team, in there playoff run.   In a weird way and with the addition, of Toffili: there roster, is partially the same team that the Canucks sent to the playoffs - but under, a different coach.