The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

almost no one contemplating a Miller trades factors in....

Rate this topic

grouse747

that he will be an RFA in the summer of 2023..... contrast that with Toffoli under contract to Calgary much longer 

basically Canucks or a trade team only "own his rights" for that short period of time.

any marquee franchise will cap room can sign him next summer and give up nothing.... not sure marquee franchise/winning team/salary cap room are that compatible.

the one nice thing is if you trade him to a lesser franchise with up-and-coming players and lots of salary cap room, he might sign there in summer 2023 whereas maybe he wouldn't if he'd never lived there.

reminds me of NBA trades where this is even more of a factor.

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

15 minutes ago, grouse747 said:

my partial bad.... toffoli is 2 years plus rest of this season. but still that's 75% more term than miller.

anyway, it's an issue for all trades of many good veteran players.

Most probably consider that last year on TT's deal to be a negative.

• Vintage 1

14 minutes ago, grouse747 said:

my partial bad.... toffoli is 2 years plus rest of this season. but still that's 75% more term than miller.

anyway, it's an issue for all trades of many good veteran players.

Its pretty much just 50% more term, as a team would get 2 playoffs with miller and 3 with Toffoli. 

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, nux_win said:

What I don't get is why can't he be that player for us?  Why do we have to be a doormat to help other teams win the cup?  Why can't we keep our best players to help us win games?  Yeah, cap, blah, blah, blah.  It's the same cap for everyone.  Other teams manage to not only keep their stars but constantly acquire new ones.  Why can't we keep enough quality players to start winning ourselves?  The eastern based sports media treats us as if we're just a feeder system for the more established teams but why do we fans have to buy into that narrative?  GCG!

I wasn't commented on whether he should be traded or not, in fact I have been against trading JT.  But...if the return is something crazy like Laffy/Kaako + Schneider + Baron + 1st, I would celebrate it.  In reality, I don't see Rangers doing that though.

1 minute ago, higgyfan said:

I wasn't commented on whether he should be traded or not, in fact I have been against trading JT.  But...if the return is something crazy like Laffy/Kaako + Schneider + Baron + 1st, I would celebrate it.  In reality, I don't see Rangers doing that though.

OK.  I wasn't trying to be critical of your post.  I was agreeing.  JT is an impact player.  I don't get all these calls for trading him when he could and should be a good player for us.  It seems to me that a lot of people are simply parroting the eastern biased media who make it sound like he has to be traded to a contender.  We're not the farm team for other teams to win the cup.  We need to start winning ourselves.  And that means keeping our productive players, like JT.  GCG!

• Vintage 1

1 hour ago, grouse747 said:

that he will be an RFA in the summer of 2023..... contrast that with Toffoli under contract to Calgary much longer 

basically Canucks or a trade team only "own his rights" for that short period of time.

any marquee franchise will cap room can sign him next summer and give up nothing.... not sure marquee franchise/winning team/salary cap room are that compatible.

the one nice thing is if you trade him to a lesser franchise with up-and-coming players and lots of salary cap room, he might sign there in summer 2023 whereas maybe he wouldn't if he'd never lived there.

I think Vancouver fans shoot themselves in the foot in case someone shoots them in the foot.

Edited by Me_
  • Haha 2
  • Vintage 1

2 minutes ago, nux_win said:

OK.  I wasn't trying to be critical of your post.  I was agreeing.  JT is an impact player.  I don't get all these calls for trading him when he could and should be a good player for us.  It seems to me that a lot of people are simply parroting the eastern biased media who make it sound like he has to be traded to a contender.  We're not the farm team for other teams to win the cup.  We need to start winning ourselves.  And that means keeping our productive players, like JT.  GCG!

Yeah, it seems like most of the trade proposals are around JT and Garland, who are the most passionate players on the team.  Our team would truly miss those 2 character guys next season.  They would look kind of boring without them.  Sigh.

Excluding a massive overpayment for either of them::D

• Cheers 1

lol what? Millers contract and term is the holy grail for teams trading for him.

They get him discounted for this playoff run + next year. Just enough time to see how important he is to them, and if his production tapers off, they can cut bait and aren't stuck with a long term contract until he's 35. 

You literally could not ask for a better contract situation if you're the team trading for him.

• Cheers 2
  • Vintage 1

No he will not, he will be an unrestricted free agent in the summer of 2023.

1 hour ago, nux_win said:

What I don't get is why can't he be that player for us?  Why do we have to be a doormat to help other teams win the cup?  Why can't we keep our best players to help us win games?  Yeah, cap, blah, blah, blah.  It's the same cap for everyone.  Other teams manage to not only keep their stars but constantly acquire new ones.  Why can't we keep enough quality players to start winning ourselves?  The eastern based sports media treats us as if we're just a feeder system for the more established teams but why do we fans have to buy into that narrative?  GCG!

The problem is that Miller is going to a UFA not an RFA. That means if he doesn't want to re-sign in VAN, then he can walk away for nothing at the end of next season.

That is the main issue imo. If we truly think he is going to walk, then we should be trading him to at least get some assets in return. And now is the time when we will get the best return.

If he is not going to walk then we should be looking at resigning him. If we are looking at resigning him, then the next questions are: how much and for how long?

• Vintage 1

1 hour ago, nux_win said:

Unfortunately, other teams have managed their cap better and are in position to compete.

We are not. That's why cap blah blah blah matters.

Trade Miller and get young pieces back. Draft well for the next two years and come out in better cap situation with Myers, Pearson, Hamonic, Luongo cap-recapture, and Holtby + Virtanen buyouts all coming off the books over the next two seasons. We will have about 20+ million dollars to operate with.

The next two years is a great chance to retool while assessing what we have in our forwards like Petey, Podz, Hoglander, Garland, Horvat, and Boeser. That top 6 is missing some size, grit, and goal scoring and we will have the draft picks, young players, and cap space to address the missing pieces. 

Podz-Petey-Boeser (~14 mil + Podz RFA)

Hog-Horvat-Garland (~ 11 mil + Hog RFA)

Entire 3rd line.

Higmore-Lammikko-Motte (~ 5 mil if we re-sign Motte to 1.5-2 mil)

Hughes-Schneider (7 mil + Schneider RFA)

OEL-Poolman (10 mil)

Bottom pairing

Demko (5 mil)

Backup

Around 30 mil space.

• Like 2
  • Cheers 1