The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

JR speaks again... speed and skill? Balanced scoring?

Rate this topic

HKSR

30 minutes ago, hammertime said:

I didn't listen but this seems like major BS we aren't the penguins we aren't gonna win a cup without fixing the defense today its "ok" but its a mess looking long term.

I’m guessing your glass is half empty. On the bright side there is room for more Scotch. 

• Haha 2
  • Vintage 1

48 minutes ago, spur1 said:

I’m guessing your glass is half empty. On the bright side there is room for more Scotch. 

actually I'm very positive about our team and our future I think we are in the best spot we have been in in the past decade. we're close we're young and we have tradable assets. 

I'm incredibly apprehensive because the decisions that are made now will be the difference between becoming contenders or watching it all slip through our fingers.

One thing that sticks with me is JB referring to how fragile this team is. They need hope they need to believe. They need a stabilizing force. they need someone to step up and take command. We have good parts but no engine. We can't trade Miller unless the return is foundational. And we can't sign Brock to an anchor long term contract. IMO we are a very good 3c and a stabilizing RHD away from being serious players. And I'm not talking Selke Norris guys we just need facilitators to allow our core to flourish. 

No more passengers complete buy In and pack mentality.

• Cheers 1

16 minutes ago, hammertime said:

actually I'm very positive about our team and our future I think we are in the best spot we have been in in the past decade. we're close we're young and we have tradable assets. 

I'm incredibly apprehensive because the decisions that are made now will be the difference between becoming contenders or watching it all slip through our fingers.

One thing that sticks with me is JB referring to how fragile this team is. They need hope they need to believe. They need a stabilizing force. they need someone to step up and take command. We have good parts but no engine. We can't trade Miller unless the return is foundational. And we can't sign Brock to an anchor long term contract. IMO we are a very good 3c and a stabilizing RHD away from being serious players. And I'm not talking Selke Norris guys we just need facilitators to allow our core to flourish. 

No more passengers complete buy In and pack mentality.

I’m also curious as to what this management group will do with this roster. It feels like an eternity, but I’d rather have the management team be patient, than do something stupid (like Benning). I’d hate to see Brock go, but if he brings in assets that help this team now and in the future, then I’m all for that. 

Would Brock sign for 6M over 6/7 years? 

3 minutes ago, N4ZZY said:

I’m also curious as to what this management group will do with this roster. It feels like an eternity, but I’d rather have the management team be patient, than do something stupid (like Benning). I’d hate to see Brock go, but if he brings in assets that help this team now and in the future, then I’m all for that. 

Would Brock sign for 6M over 6/7 years? 

I don't think the return for Brock will be what people hope. But even at 6m x 6/7years he's too passive. Where's the fire in his belly? I don't think he has it. JR wants to get faster. He ain't it! I love Brock the person he's a great guy. But weren't going golfing atthecountry club.

1 hour ago, hammertime said:

I don't think the return for Brock will be what people hope. But even at 6m x 6/7years he's too passive. Where's the fire in his belly? I don't think he has it. JR wants to get faster. He ain't it! I love Brock the person he's a great guy. But weren't going golfing atthecountry club.

Certainly something has to give. I think management really likes Miller, but if there is an offer that they cannot refuse, then Miller’s gone too. 

If the return for Brock is underwhelming, why not just keep him, and see if he can raise his value so that he would get a better return?

11 minutes ago, N4ZZY said:

I’m not sure the Canucks are getting much in return for those two. 

Probably not, but it would open cap space which is more precious to this team.

If you could get anything in return that isn't salary or long term contracts in return would be a win.

• Vintage 1

5 hours ago, *Buzzsaw* said:

Also if they are looking for 'balanced scoring', then maybe Boeser has a place.

Because he is a regular contributor and in most seasons will put up 20+.

Brock just needs to let his ego go (or his agent needs to do it for him!) because he's not a 7 million player on a long term deal with covid money still owed.    He'd be a great addition with a contract like Garland has.   A bit more given we drafted him.   IF he wants to stay here, he's going to have to let go of the idea he's a 7.5 million player.   Team doesn't HAVE to qualify him.   Could just let him become a UFA.   Or take him to arbitration which also works.   Options. 

17 hours ago, Fanuck said:

First, this is the fatal mistake that Benning was guilty of (admittedly he had his orders from Aquillini) which kept us in perpetual mediocrity. 

Second, are we actually in contention - we've played more games than most any other team on the playoff bubble right now and yeah, we're winning a few but how many things have to happen for this club to make it?

Third, even if this club makes the playoffs, what use is a first or second round exit - Benning used to say it was critical to get the young guys some experience, they have that now so.......

As long as they're playing meaningful games, you get the benefit of:

1. Evaluation
  2. Development of young players

So until they're out of the race, nothing gets done.  We have plenty of time until the trade deadline and if they're shipping a larger contract out, it's easier to do (ie more teams in the mix) in the offseason.  JR hasn't tipped his hand but at the same time, he has let us in on his thinking process and as HKSR said above, if they get an offer they can't refuse (that fits the plan) then they may just take it.

• Cheers 1

10 minutes ago, Ohthehumanity said:

I'm hoping Minny. I love the Flow, and would love to see him be closer to his family, and hometown.

I agree, people seem to turn on Brock because he is not producing at the rate we would like but forget that he is an incredible human being.

If traded Iwould love to see Brock be able to be closer to his ailing father.

• Like 2
  • Vintage 1

People not noticing that Brock has 10 goals and 20ish points in his last 22 games. He's back to his 40 goal scoring pace under Bruce.

Let's not give up on our young kids as soon as they start to show some promise...we've got to be patient with these guys. Trade him away and mark my words he'll end up a 30-40 goal scorer in his prime.

His "slump" was basically the first 20 games of the season. Last year he was our best forward and in the last 20 games he's back to playing at that rate.

I would consider him part of our young core - you're not going to get a better scoring young winger than Brock, what more does the kie have to do other than scoring at a 30-40 goal pace?

• Like 2

Rutherford is just playing hard to get. I suspect every player other than Hughes and Demko can be had. Obviously he isn’t cleaning house but he wants to deal. In no way can the present d-core be considered Cup quality. Exactly as pointed out the forward group isn’t fast enough either. 

• Cheers 1