The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Speculation] Canucks exploring Tyler Myers trade

brian42

20 minutes ago, D.B Cooper said:

If you can get a physical RD who can play a solid all around game like Myers did for under 6 mill, I’d be down, but they are pretty rare, and not available. 

Take a run at Manson and convince him to come here over Anaheim.

Id be comfortable giving him a longer deal if it’s around 4-5 mil.

4 hours ago, DeNiro said:

Isn't he 30/31? 

I really wasn't impressed by him this year so we'll have to agree to disagree. 

I'll take Lyubushkin though. 

4 hours ago, DeNiro said:

Love the idea but why do we need to get older at that price point (unless

going all in for playoffs this year).

He also shouldn’t be replied upon to fill the offset linemate role to QH, which is what we need and that much cap should at least be earmarked for. 

I get that he’s UFA and comes at no asset cost other than cap, but we can do better in moving out a W with salary to obtain that piece, imho. 

5 hours ago, RWJC said:

Love the idea but why do we need to get older at that price point (unless

going all in for playoffs this year).

He also shouldn’t be replied upon to fill the offset linemate role to QH, which is what we need and that much cap should at least be earmarked for. 

I get that he’s UFA and comes at no asset cost other than cap, but we can do better in moving out a W with salary to obtain that piece, imho. 

We need size and someone who can hit especially if moving Myers is being considered 

• Cheers 1

20 minutes ago, canuck73_3 said:

We need size and someone who can hit especially if moving Myers is being considered 

But we also need youth who can establish themselves in a lasting role as the top pairing D alongside QH.

Manson is another Schenn and I love both for their game, but we don’t need older stop gap D for QH. We need to obtain certainty that has a solid mix of speed and more importantly defensive acumen. Speed is almost as important in that role because QH has wheels and can rover.

A partner with a smart defensive hockey IQ with similar speed would be most reliable. Size to me isn’t as much a requirement as his linemate, because you don’t necessarily want a strictly shutdown presence there.

What you absolutely need though is a balanced, reliable Dman with vision for the offensive game, but who plays best with a stronger focus on the defensive responsibilitIes required when paired with an offensive minded talent like QH. 

The reason I say this is because we aren’t expecting shut down hockey when QH is paired with one of the two top F lines. We’re expecting offense to be generated, so a balanced defender is what is required as well as F’s who will commit to backchecking…

(JTM haters, this is your cue, hah)

Edited by RWJC
  • Cheers 1

Pagnotta on NHL Network just said Klingberg is a player Vancouver are interested in but they weren't able find a taker for Myers yet.  

Kind of wondering if I misheard - anyone else?

Edited by mll

On 7/9/2022 at 12:40 PM, DeNiro said:

But you can find physical tough players for less than 6 mil. 

Being afraid of being too soft should not be the motivating factor for keeping him. There are other D men available that play a heavy game.

And as the announcer said, Lucic was on the ice.  Didn't stop Cooke from taking out Savard with his usual type of hits.

3 minutes ago, mll said:

Pagnotta on NHL Network just said Klingberg is a player Vancouver are interested in but they weren't able find a taker for Myers yet.  

I hope you misheard.  Klingberg is not what we need.  He's offensively great, but defensively poor.

• Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

1 minute ago, mll said:

I could almost see a situation where we send Mysie to DAL in a swap of sorts as he is from Houston originally and would fit in well on their right side here. I could see us being asked to retain which kinda defeats the purpose, but I would rather have him over Klinger based on the asking price. Klinger fell out of favor with a lot of Stars fans this past season which, sounds an awful lot like Mysie with ours lol. 

4 minutes ago, mll said:

That would definitely be interesting.  Still curious if we could get Hakanpaa for Myers, as Hakanpaa meets our needs, but no doubt Myers is the better overall D:

Ekman-Larsson Klingberg

Hughes Hakanpaa

Rathbone Schenn

• Cheers 1

A lot of the UFAs are gone, if Lybushkin or Manson were still on the table then a Myers move could work, but now we'd be dead in the water without him. We still need to find 1RD, let's not make it 2. Moving Garland's 5M is much smarter than moving Myers' 6M.

2 minutes ago, Provost said:

He is friends with OEL, at the right price he would be a huge upgrade on Myers.

I'd argue he wouldn't be a HUGE upgrade on Myers.  And depending on his cost, it'd be a break even value wise for me. 

For example, if Klingberg is $7M+ AAV, is he really what we want on the back end?  His EV Defence was TERRIBLE.  We'd be paying OEL to cover for him just as we did with Myers.

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, HKSR said:

I hope you misheard.  Klingberg is not what we need.  He's offensively great, but defensively poor.

He’s also looking for similar to what Sergachev just signed for. No thanks

• Cheers 2
  • Sad 1
  • Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, rekker said:

I like Myers, but Zadarov may be a better fit here. If we can offload Myers, I'd be fine with Zadarov for 4ish. 

Zadarov is essentially as awkward as Myers can be, with a bit more physicality in terms of hits... If you think Myers gets too many penalties... Zadorov gets more on a team that has much better transition numbers than the canucks.

Anyways Zadorov is a big no, especially since he's a LHD