The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Speculation] Canucks exploring Tyler Myers trade

brian42

2 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Luke Schenn makes more sense to Toronto.  They drafted him and it's where he started his career.  If Toronto can give us back a 2nd round pick that we threw away to dump Dickinson then I would be all in on that deal...

They want to win they trade for both Bo and Schenn.We take back someone and get a good haul.Win win for both.

2 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Luke Schenn makes more sense to Toronto.  They drafted him and it's where he started his career.  If Toronto can give us back a 2nd round pick that we threw away to dump Dickinson then I would be all in on that deal...

I'd do Schenn for a 2nd 

And then get angry again when management ships it out for a project player because we as Canucks fans are not allowed to enjoy drafting players in the 2nd round very often 

• Huggy Bear 2

6 minutes ago, wildcam said:

Vancouver trade Myers and have no replacement for the big RD man that plays against other team vest forwards 20--22 mins.

Serious big hole to fill without Myers in the lineup. Management seen what happened when Myers miss 3 games at start of the season.

Yeah, we might even lose some games...

• Haha 3

7 minutes ago, wildcam said:

Vancouver trade Myers and have no replacement for the big RD man that plays against other team best forwards 20--22 mins.

Serious big hole to fill without Myers in the lineup. Management seen what happened when Myers miss 3 games at start of the season.

11 hours ago, wai_lai416 said:

lol it'll also affect all our current roster player.. imagine EP refuse to sign a long term extension with the canucks until the final year of his RFA expires because he doesn't want to risk the team backstabbing him and trade him as soon as he re-signs to a long term. set a precedent? it's going to be on the back of the mind of every single player. no agents will want to deal with JR/PA unless they want to overpay the hell out of them.. just because there's already a bias against signing in Canada let's make the team the least desirable city and management group to deal with?

They are all professionals, they understand it is a business. 
EP will do what he sees as best for EP.  Holding on to Miller continuing to lose by continuing the Benning plan of pushing to maintain mediocrity is more likely to push EP to want to leave.  If I am a player I want to be on the team that doesn’t worry about every nicety and does what it takes to win.  The players are not necessarily as invested emotionally in the teams as the fans. How many people really feel passionate about their employers?

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

15 hours ago, aGENT said:

There's plenty of top 4 guys who don't "carry" their pair, across the league. Good management builds teams/lines/pairs that complement each other. McNabb and Myers would likely be a fine 2nd pair for example. Regardless of who'd theoretically "carry" that pair.

Schmidt is another guy we brought in, after years as Vegas's number two guy, who simply didn't fit in.   Does that make Edler total trash?   No it didn't.   Edler wasn't a 6 million top four D anymore, but for sure better then a 5 on most teams.  Heck last year in LA, when Doughty went down, he took over and was given a lot of praise by their media (as well as general media) for towing the line (at 750k).    For sure it matters.   You compliment you'd defenseman with guys who work.   QHs and Schenn, sure it's not a picasso, but QHs needs a big brother and a defensive defenseman on his side, the same way Erik Karlsson needed Methot.    Methot on his own ... well even with a guy who regularly was in the top ten in league scoring, he wasn't stacking up the points was he. 

Myers needs a defensive defenseman to work with too.   Then he can be unleashed and allowed to wander into enemy territory.   He's actually better at it then Hughes in some ways, because he's too big to handle.   And he's very good at zone entries with the puck on his stick.   When we are behind a goal, he does wander doesn't he.   As he should ... because that's how you tie the game.   Sometimes we get burned and folks remember that.   But they don't remember the dozen or so times his big ass stick has blocked a shot going into an empty net do they. 

I agree with aGENT, that Myers could play a lot better with the right partner and that partner doesn't need to be a big name either.    I'm sure with 50% retention, that teams would line up (the ones not on his list), it's not just the game he plays, it's his size and the fact he's got some of the IT factor teams need and want in the season that matters the most (playoffs).   His body of work is actually very decent in that respect.   Injuries in WNP during the post season, he stepped up.  

Stillman lol.   Not a good pairing was it.  With Dermott i'm sure it gets a little better ...  OEL and Myers together were just fine last year 5 x 5.   As they should be given their pay scale.   10-12th, playing against top competition...if we had another pairing like that we'd easily be a playoff team right now as it is.  

Hope Myers is traded for his sake and the teams.   But at the same time we can't rag on him too much.   Was the best UFA that year - and some had 7 x 7 as the money he'd command.   Trouba ... he got 8 x 8 and is now NYR Captain, but also struggled to gain traction.  

We had waited five years to get another top four D ... or was it six can't remember...but after what seemed like an eternity, with Huttons, Stetchers,  Del Zotto's, Sbisa's, etc etc etc .... it sure was nice to finally nab a good quality free agent wasn't it.   Poor Edler and Tanev!  Lol.   And just by doing that and acquiring Miller this team turned the corner.   Myers was a big part of that.  And know we can't take a penalty, but i for one, loved how he played in the post season, punishing everyone.   Further we could have gone, the less that's called.   Losing Myers is fine, but it's too bad we couldn't see him in action one more post season.   Coming back early and not 100%, he was the only guy Vegas hasn't overwhelmed completely.  Stetcher and Hughes were neutralized.   After they finally scored on Demko, with 7 minutes left, the only D that could get it out clean was Myers, and that was with the puck on his stick.  

Anyways .. Myers is the whipping boy now that Edler is gone.    Wonder who the next one will be? 

Edited by IBatch
  • Like 1
  • Cheers 1

11 hours ago, wai_lai416 said:

lol it'll also affect all our current roster player.. imagine EP refuse to sign a long term extension with the canucks until the final year of his RFA expires because he doesn't want to risk the team backstabbing him and trade him as soon as he re-signs to a long term. set a precedent? it's going to be on the back of the mind of every single player. no agents will want to deal with JR/PA unless they want to overpay the hell out of them.. just because there's already a bias against signing in Canada let's make the team the least desirable city and management group to deal with?

Lol.  Folks are still  freaking out about this since he made exactly ONE, totally normal comment, to a Swedish media interview on winning etc.   What's he supposed to say?  "I love losing so want to be on a losing team".   

Good grief.   If he's going to pout, and does a Nedved - then good riddance.   Guys going to have to play on a team like ours - or a team that has the cap space for him.   Slim odds that's a contender, unless a big name goes off the books that team already lost to free agency anyways.   

We own his rights for two years after this deals up.   We will qualify him.   That means IF he sits out, he sits out.   Not an attractive asset really is it.   People have worried about this with Horvat since he signed his last deal too lol.   This isn't a big deal and we shouldn't be spreading or parroting that around (the media comment still).   Let that non-story, which it was, die.    I'm glad he answered the way he did anyways, don't want guys on the team that are ok with losing.   Players need to hate to lose.   

One thing JB was actually good at doing was timing contracts.  So a big one came off the books (Myers), when another player is up.   Eventually anyways.   Management has the dough for both Horvat and EP.   Question is really, is should they re-sign these guys anyways.    As a team, the players come and go anyways.   If they don't get that then they need to go back to grade school and work on their arithmetic skills.   This story bugs me just as much as JB changing the teams structure and guys like Tanev and Markstrom and especially TT (wow what a love affair fans had over a couple dozen games lol) to PAY guys like EP and QHs. 

Toews and Kane killed CHI as soon as they signed their last deal, but Toews laments about how they kept losing guys lol.   Idiotic - look in the mirror!   EP is going to get a long term offer from us.   If he doesn't like it and wants to sit and be a baby about it, trade him. 

• Cheers 1

48 minutes ago, DrJockitch said:

They are all professionals, they understand it is a business. 
EP will do what he sees as best for EP.  Holding on to Miller continuing to lose by continuing the Benning plan of pushing to maintain mediocrity is more likely to push EP to want to leave.  If I am a player I want to be on the team that doesn’t worry about every nicety and does what it takes to win.  The players are not necessarily as invested emotionally in the teams as the fans. How many people really feel passionate about their employers?

North American born players, grow up as hockey fans too - and likely have some sentiment about playing for their favourite team growing up (Tavares).   It happens.   One small competitive advantage Vancouver has, and for sure needs to continue to water to grow, is our connection to Sweden.    We don't have a monopoly, but overall have done quite well with our Swedish players for sure.   Without that connection, we'd never have drafted EP in the first place, probably have Glass or Valardi (who BTW, is doing well in LA so far this year).

With the Sedins influence that continues.  OEL.   Not exactly my favourite thing, but top Swedes bring it.    In the money speaks the most though.   The Sedins got 17% of the cap their bridge deals, then 21.5% their five year deal (also flat cap housing crisis) then at 33 got a four year deal at 21.8% of the cap lol.   So they were paid to stay.   Horvat and Miller?   Well if it starts at 16 mill which i expect it will now, that's 18% of the cap ... but by year five under 15% (when the Sedins got a bump to 21.8% lol)....so ... we can afford EP for sure.  AND have money left over ... the Sedins plus Kesler vs Horbat/Miller/EP.    Cap wise, one won't be like the other. 

I would be willing to retain a couple million and scoop up a first. Myers at 4M is a good value RD for teams desperate to fill that position. Only problem is we would need to find another top 4 defenceman and we have no prospects that can fill that void. None whatsoever. 

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 1

In no calculation does Myers get us a first.  Will be happy if he doesn’t cost us one. 
‘If JR/PA get a first for Myers in any situation other than a trade also involving Bo or taking massive TO cap dump then I will happily publicly apologize to PA and JR for constantly  referring to them as Benning 2.0. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

12 hours ago, Coconuts said:

I think a Bo trade is only a matter of time, I don't expect that to drag til closer to the deadline

His value is high now 

Wouldn't surprise me

trading Bo would/should be the start of the full tear down. For sure his value is at a peak but he's also a dream addition for a GM, no character issues, no bs, works hard, family dude, etc etc. No warts on Bo.

I wonder if Winnipeg would surprise us as a dark hose trade partner? 

1 hour ago, grandmaster said:

I would be willing to retain a couple million and scoop up a first. Myers at 4M is a good value RD for teams desperate to fill that position. Only problem is we would need to find another top 4 defenceman and we have no prospects that can fill that void. None whatsoever. 

He plays a ton of minutes but he also creates a ton of turnovers. He has low hockey IQ and tries to be the hero. 

I get he eats minutes but in my opinion he's a huge liability and the biggest reason behind our dysfunction defence. If we can get rid of him I do it at any cost because we're a better team without him IMO.

Hughes - Schenn

OEL - Bear

Rathbone - Burroughs

Stillman

Brisebois

I'd consider Brisebois over Rathbone on the 3rd pairing too.

Is there anything in the Leaf's system worth trading for?  If not I'd hope we could get at least a 2nd, hopefully a 2nd and a 4th.  I have no issues trading Myers, not like this defense can get worse.  This is the year to accumulate assets for the draft and hope to kickstart next year. 

10 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Don't think that would work.  Muzzin in already on LTIR so his cap hit doesn't affect Toronto's cap as they are using LTIR money.  If Toronto trades Muzzin for Myers then they would be out of LTIR and be $6 million over the cap...

They're only using ~$3.3 of their available ~$5.6 LTIR though. So moving out Muzzin would actually put them ~$2.3 under the cap. Myers also displaces another player (let's assume Hollowell at $750k) bringing them closer to $3 under. Which means they'd need us to either retain around $3m, take back around $3m, or perhaps send them Ferland's expiring LTIR to utilize. 

Edited by aGENT
  • Huggy Bear 1