The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Speculation] Canucks exploring Tyler Myers trade

brian42

27 minutes ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

3rd round pick?

I know people feel a bit burned by us moving picks, but if we do it for this type of specific need (Young two way RD) I think it has a lot more value that who we would find in the 3rd round.  Moving picks for 27-35 year old players should be avoided, but this could make sense.

1 hour ago, BC_Hawk said:

If you are retaining past 2022/23 season, I just wouldn't do it UNLESS we get something good back. We DO NEED a longterm answer at RHD beside Hughes but being able to find a suitable dman for 4m would be hard, and as you said, Myers is a deal at 4m. Free up the cap by jettisoning Beoser.  I love Schenn, but he is best suited to a 6/7 position at this point. And at 7, he would still probably get 40+ games a year with injuries and such.

Hughes-FA/Trade RHD

OEL-Bear

Rathbone/Burroughs-Myers

That is a good lineup IF we actually have them playing a proper system with adequate coaching.

If you are retaining salary on a contract you have to retain for the entire length of the contract. Can't only retain for 1 year.

1 hour ago, BC_Hawk said:

Yes, but we will probably get nothing back, so what's the point of getting the1.5m in free Cap for Zaitsev in 2023/2024?

That's the thing that makes no sense and I'm kind of shocked anyone would think that we would get nothing of value in a Zaitsev for Myers trade. Zaitsev has played his way out of the NHL and Myers is a bonafide top 4 dman.

If we were trading myers for cap space alone wouldn't you think we would rather trade him at 50% and therefor gain 3 million in cap space this season and next? I don't think anyone could disagree that Myers would be a very attractive piece to a contender @3 million.

If Ottawa wants to Jetson zaitsev's contract it would mean beating the best offer that Myers could get @3 million cap hit AND adding a sweetener that would negate the 1.5million in extra cap we would take on.

I'm betting these are the reasons the deal never got off the ground. Once Ottawa realized the cost of doing this they backed out.

2 hours ago, BC_Hawk said:

Yes, but we will probably get nothing back, so what's the point of getting the1.5m in free Cap for Zaitsev in 2023/2024? IF we are rebuilding, just keep Myers until TDL 2024 and get some value. Beoser should be the cap relief valve we should take advantage of now; 6.65m without probably having to retain OR taking a crap contract back.

Probably why the deal fell through, we probably wanted something back like a 2nd or 3rd for taking back Z. In that case, not such a bad deal and I don't know why people are complaining. Clear $1.5m (plus another $1 if he stays in Abby).

I'd rather we try to let Boeser regain trade value first IMO.

The guys we need to move now are guys like Miller or Horvat (if he's not going to extend). Guys with actual value. This should be about maximizing "re-thingy" assets. People that want to dump Boeser for peanuts are being reactionary and still trying to fix "today's" team. We need to fix "tomorrow's" team. You don't do that by dumping Boeser for pennies on the dollar.

34 minutes ago, Kobayashi Maru said:

Either a team has injuries and is desperate enough to trade for Myers and figure out details in the offseason, or we move him next year with heavy retention to gain maximum value.  He could be a good trade chip in the offseason. 

I think he will be highly moveable without retention after July 1, he has a 5million bonus due and his salary a receiving team will have to pay for 2023-24 will only be 1 million, but cap hit 6 million... hello ARIZONA!!!!!!

3 hours ago, Canucks Curse said:

I think he will be highly moveable without retention after July 1, he has a 5million bonus due and his salary a receiving team will have to pay for 2023-24 will only be 1 million, but cap hit 6 million... hello ARIZONA!!!!!!

You work the 5mill in the deal so they get him for peanuts and get cap space.Or draft trade him.

3 hours ago, aGENT said:

People that want to dump Boeser for peanuts are being reactionary and still trying to fix "today's" team. We need to fix "tomorrow's" team. You don't do that by dumping Boeser for pennies on the dollar.

Agreed.

This organization is in no position to be selling 'low' on any players.  Our prospect pool/draft capital is, given where we are as a franchise in overall development, simply put - pathetic. 

I understand that some will argue that the 'cap savings' alone by trading some players is a win, but in reality, other than BoHo (who we should be able to afford if he's the least bit reasonable like Miller was) there's really nobody that is a 'MUST' sign to the point we need to unload contracts at a loss.  

Sure, if a 'hockey trade' presents itself - by all means management should explore that.  But paying to dump contracts and/or selling low on key assets - we can't afford that long-term. 

• Vintage 1

3 hours ago, Canucks Curse said:

He has a modified NTC. Good chance ARZ is on his "thanks, but no" list.

The best thing that could happen is Myers has a few good games without his usual brain cramps and finally gets some goals with all his chances he consistently wastes and fools some desperate team like Toronto to take his clumsy @$$.

If that happens and Boeser ups his trade value like he is lately with his linemates carrying him padding his stats for him and hopefully we trade him and even add something else if need be for a good young solid top 4 RH defender.

Having a solid addition on the right side to go with Bear and Schenn to go with Hughes, OEL and Dermott.

I think we'd be in great shape and we'd see a way more solid team overall and way less blown leads.

The biggest weakness on this team by far is Myers and the defense but luckily Bear was a great addition who's really helping and then they add a solid guy at least a bit better than Bear, get Dermott back who was very solid and dependable last season and thre would be a huge difference in potential and results no doubt in my mind.

• 3 weeks later...
Just now, Mustard Tiger said:

Hawks will have like 40+m of cap space. Once we pay his bonus you would think that's a nice deal for a tanking team 

Once his bonus is paid he will be a very attractive piece to any team that has cap to burn.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1