The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Will Russian players be banned in the NHL?

Rate this topic

5 hours ago, Toyotasfan said:

Panarin is blacklisted by Putin for his political views, not all Russians deserve to be generalized. But the new transfer fee paid to the KHL for its players could be an issue .

Additionally, I seriously doubt this invasion is popular among Russians. In fact I wouldn't bet consensus and majority there have reacted negatively towards it since we are seeing protests happening in Russia because of this. 

I know a lot of us here like to paint Russians with the same brush, but most are just regular people trying to live their own lives. 

• Vintage 1

NHL won't ban any players unless they are stupid enough to openly support Putin and this war.

Russian coming over to play that are not already outside of Russia might not be able to come over now though.

Russian players should stay in the west this off season if they are smart. Unpredictable times.

2 hours ago, Junkyard Dog said:

Isn't his wife and kid back in Russia?

He's gotta watch what he says.

Probably best not to say anything.

He should’ve had that philosophy before the invasion.  He Seemed to be one of his biggest fans & was pretty public about it.  It’s one thing to not say anything negative about someone but imho it’s another to openly cheerlead them.  But it’s easy for me to say seeing as I don’t reside in Russia nor will ever visit there (or have any loved ones/family there).

Edited by NewbieCanuckFan
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

He should’ve had that philosophy before the invasion.  He Seemed to be one of his biggest fans & was pretty public about it.  It’s one thing to not say anything negative about someone but imho it’s another to openly cheerlead them.  But it’s easy for me to say seeing as I don’t reside in Russia nor will ever visit there (or have any loved ones/family there).

Pretty much what I was going to say. Obviously I don't think Russian hockey players are responsible for the actions of Putin's regime, it's a bit different if you campaigned to get him "re-elected" and were the driving force behind the #putinteam organisation. Ovie's vague "it's hard to see another war. I hope it's soon going to be over and there's going to be peace in the whole world" sounds like something from a beauty pageant and doesn't really mean anything.

It wouldn't surprise me if Ovechkin turned to politics once he retires and chances are Putin will still be clinging to power by then so he can't say anything negative. Either that or he actually does support the war but knows he can't say so openly.

Oh and as for the OP - no, obviously they won't be banned from the NHL.

Edited by Biff Tannen
  • Cheers 1

37 minutes ago, canuckster19 said:

Lets turn this around again, where did you land exactly after jumping out of that 727?

Somewhere near the other Vancouver!    
Then I hopped on a bus North, and casually walked across the border back home, because I’m a Canadian.  
Those dummies have been looking in the wrong country for 51 years!

48 minutes ago, D.B Cooper said:

Anyone ever been to La Grotta Del Formaggio

on Commercial?    
Some of the best classic Italian style sandwiches ever.   
Highly recommend 

4533905B-2E5F-4020-A39A-3276E9D5AC90.jpeg

pick stuff up for my in-laws all the time from there. Next time you go, check out Fratelli Bakery next door as well. 

Just now, JM_ said:

pick stuff up for my in-laws all the time from there. Next time you go, check out Fratelli Bakery next door as well. 

That’s part of the trip dude!   Lol

I don’t go into Van often, but when I do, sandwiches at Formaggio, coffee and cinnamon bun from Fratelli.  

Then top speed out of Van, because it is a horrible place to be. 

4 minutes ago, D.B Cooper said:

That’s part of the trip dude!   Lol

I don’t go into Van often, but when I do, sandwiches at Formaggio, coffee and cinnamon bun from Fratelli.  

Then top speed out of Van, because it is a horrible place to be. 

you need to pick up some fresh pasta too before you run out of town! the Bosa a block over on Victoria is worth a stop if you want to load up on real Italian groceries.

2 minutes ago, JM_ said:

you need to pick up some fresh pasta too before you run out of town! the Bosa a block over on Victoria is worth a stop if you want to load up on real Italian groceries.

Those sandwiches are the only thing I enjoy about Italians.   
hahahahahaha

• Haha 1

The International Ice Hockey Federation (IIHF) is saddened and deeply concerned by the recent events in Ukraine. The IIHF and its Council condemn the use of military force and urge the use of diplomatic means to solve conflicts. Our thoughts are with the people in Ukraine and the Ukrainian ice hockey family.

As the IIHF has a duty of care to all its Championship participants, the IIHF Council is reviewing and considering the implications of this conflict on our events. A Council meeting has been called for Monday late afternoon on 28 February.