The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Waivers] Olli Juolevi (claimed by Red Wings)

27 minutes ago, IBatch said:

Shame on them too for picking low 20's consensus pick Moritz Seider... 

That still has no bearing on them picking Zadina one spot ahead of Quinn while Quinn was playing in Michigan and played world's under Det head coach. That's as good of a look you'll ever get for a draft prospect. 

Good on them that they picked Seider but you also have to acknowledge they missed on Hughes with the Zadina pick. 

1 minute ago, Alflives said:

And we got Hughes.  We win.  

@IBatch had no point really.

It's like ppl dissing Benning for the Juolevi puck and then someone saying well he picked Petey. 

It's true you can't win em all but there's nothing wrong with pointing out that a certain pick was a miss. Bringing up a good pick doesn't make the bad pick dissapear. 

It's endless. 

We could say Cgy picked Jankowski. Lol and then someone pipes up but they also got Tkachuk. 

What's worse is that in Det's case, they got to watch a potential draft prospect play in their state all year and then their head coach got to coach him at the world's and then went for a different prospect and missed. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, CanucksJay said:

LOL, Vancouver is proud to pick, from the London Knights..... Ollie Juolevi :wacko:

When I heard London Knights, I was ready for them to say Matthew Tkachuk lol

I remember that day very well unfortunately, and the collective disbelief that ran across Canuck nation. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2

On 5/17/2022 at 7:46 AM, PLOGUE said:

Read that too. My opinion is he's lazy. The only trait all coaches hate is someone who just won't work hard. The talent is there but I think he relies on talent alone. Maybe he grows up in 2-3 years and starts working hard? Who knows. Definitely a failed pick.

Def back with Nucks soon 

• Vintage 1

19 hours ago, Me_ said:

Tkachuck as a Canucks. 

Whether one likes him or not, the entertainment value is skyhigh.

I was pretty stoked when he dropped to us.   Couldn't believe our luck - some had him going as high as second - a lot around 3, nobody past 4 and rightly so.   Had a simply incredible playoffs.   The rub for me is i'd have also didn't like the idea of having the progeny of his Dad much on our team either.   He was a total spineless thorn in our side while in WNP.    Only beat on Dana Murzyn (a warrior but really not a good fighter) .... wouldn't even take on our mid tier guys like Momesso (who always looked like a hard night in jail).    At least i got a huge laugh seeing him, his new superpower has to be trying to fit his gigantic huge fat neck into that top bottom on his shirt.     Keith.   Looks like he ate himself and lost his hair lol. 

Edit:  Like him or not - Mathew just got a hundred points.   That's a somewhat exclusive club.   Only a few Canucks ever managed that.   

Edited by IBatch
  • Vintage 1

9 minutes ago, IBatch said:

I was pretty stoked when he dropped to us.   Couldn't believe our luck - some had him going as high as second - a lot around 3, nobody past 4 and rightly so.   Had a simply incredible playoffs.   The rub for me is i'd have also didn't like the idea of having the progeny of his Dad much on our team either.   He was a total spineless thorn in our side while in WNP.    Only beat on Dana Murzyn (a warrior but really not a good fighter) .... wouldn't even take on our mid tier guys like Momesso (who always looked like a hard night in jail).    At least i got a huge laugh seeing him, his new superpower has to be trying to fit his gigantic huge fat neck into that top bottom on his shirt.     Keith.   Looks like he ate himself and lost his hair lol. 

I guess Keith and the Hughes' boys father could be added to Harry Neale's list of who he would draft,

"Who would you draft, Harry?"

"I'd draft Walter Gretzky and old man Sutter, and start a stud farm...."

regards,  G.

• Haha 2

12 hours ago, Gollumpus said:

I guess Keith and the Hughes' boys father could be added to Harry Neale's list of who he would draft,

"Who would you draft, Harry?"

"I'd draft Walter Gretzky and old man Sutter, and start a stud farm...."

regards,  G.

Hilarious guy ... one liners sure came fast and witty.   Some of the things he said wouldn't be seen as ok anymore " puck bouncing like an Indian Rubber (lacrosse ball)" during his  play by play - but that one is a legendary quip lol.   

Old Bob Cole and Neale where quite the tandem....when he won the Foster Hewitt award "I think it's just because i'm old - my social security card has two numbers on it" ...  

Funny how he spent so much time with two franchises that have suffered more then any other, suppose that's why he has such a sense of humour lol.    Canucks and Buffalo, with a good sprinkling in of Toronto too.    Their fans have three generations of fans now that haven't seen a cup lol.   Maybe it's a survival mechanism.  

I remember we all thought Dubois was going to be a Canuck. When Tkachuk dropped and they said from the London Knights I thought for sure it was Tkachuk and I remember my utter disappointment when it was Juolevi. 

I had Juolevi behind Chychrun (who was ranked #2 at one point and had massive upside) and Sergachev (OHL dman of the year). I felt Juolevi was overrated because of exposure on the big change playing with top talent. 

There were a lot of good dmen available - I have a hard time believing no team 6-12 would have been willing to move up to 5 to get Tkachuk given his draft pedigree. Benning sucked. 

• Like 1

On 5/17/2022 at 9:29 PM, N4ZZY said:

I remember that day very well unfortunately, and the collective disbelief that ran across Canuck nation. 

I'm still angrier when we passed on Kopitar (I was ecstatic when he fell to us)

9 hours ago, IBatch said:

Hilarious guy ... one liners sure came fast and witty.   Some of the things he said wouldn't be seen as ok anymore " puck bouncing like an Indian Rubber (lacrosse ball)" during his  play by play - but that one is a legendary quip lol.   

Old Bob Cole and Neale where quite the tandem....when he won the Foster Hewitt award "I think it's just because i'm old - my social security card has two numbers on it" ...  

Funny how he spent so much time with two franchises that have suffered more then any other, suppose that's why he has such a sense of humour lol.    Canucks and Buffalo, with a good sprinkling in of Toronto too.    Their fans have three generations of fans now that haven't seen a cup lol.   Maybe it's a survival mechanism.  

Haven't heard Indian rubber in a while but strange if it's considered not PC since it named for rubber tree sap from trees in India

• Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

21 minutes ago, Joe92 said:

Every scout for the Vancouver Canucks wanted Tkachuk, Benning decided to choose Juolevi at 5, terrible mistake

Do you have some sources (or a source) for that?? OJ was definitely a miss and obviously has been a subject of great debate but I never heard of dissection within the scouting department on that particular issue…

Edited by J-Dizzle

46 minutes ago, J-Dizzle said:

Do you have some sources (or a source) for that?? OJ was definitely a miss and obviously has been a subject of great debate but I never heard of dissection within the scouting department on that particular issue…

Pretty sure he's talking out his ass. Tbh. There wasn't much wrong with the pick. Yeah, a lot of us wanted Tkachuk but that doesn't mean that every Vancouver scout wanted Tkachuk and just Benning wanted Juolevi. That's lunacy. Nobody could have predicted injuries absolutely destroying any chance Juolevi had at achieving his potential.

24 minutes ago, N7Nucks said:

Pretty sure he's talking out his ass. Tbh. There wasn't much wrong with the pick. Yeah, a lot of us wanted Tkachuk but that doesn't mean that every Vancouver scout wanted Tkachuk and just Benning wanted Juolevi. That's lunacy. Nobody could have predicted injuries absolutely destroying any chance Juolevi had at achieving his potential.

Benning wanted to draft Cody Glass so its not like he made every decision - I don't really know what happened with the 2016 draft. It seemed like we were going to draft Dubois and when he went earlier than expected it seemed logical to pick Tkachuk. We needed a defenseman though and I figured it would be the perfect draft to trade down as there were so many good ones available in the upper-middle of the round. 

9 minutes ago, canucklehead44 said:

Benning wanted to draft Cody Glass so its not like he made every decision - I don't really know what happened with the 2016 draft. It seemed like we were going to draft Dubois and when he went earlier than expected it seemed logical to pick Tkachuk. We needed a defenseman though and I figured it would be the perfect draft to trade down as there were so many good ones available in the upper-middle of the round. 

Exactly, Benning didn't just ignore his scouts. Especially in a situation where "Every Vancouver scout" would have wanted someone. It makes no sense. But yes. I think a lot of us wanted Tkachuk or to trade down for Sergachev. Or at least that's what who I wanted if we took a d-man. So it was definitely a weird draft where Juolevi was supposed to be the safe pick, but injuries introduced themselves and he pretty much failed as a top prospect. Either way you slice it, as much as I dislike what Benning did he wasn't just gonna ignore his entire scouting staff like this other guy claims. The idea is laughable.

29 minutes ago, N7Nucks said:

Exactly, Benning didn't just ignore his scouts. Especially in a situation where "Every Vancouver scout" would have wanted someone. It makes no sense. But yes. I think a lot of us wanted Tkachuk or to trade down for Sergachev. Or at least that's what who I wanted if we took a d-man. So it was definitely a weird draft where Juolevi was supposed to be the safe pick, but injuries introduced themselves and he pretty much failed as a top prospect. Either way you slice it, as much as I dislike what Benning did he wasn't just gonna ignore his entire scouting staff like this other guy claims. The idea is laughable.

Even the Flames had Juolevi as their number one ranked D man and would have taken him had we selected Tkachuk (as per Brian Burke). And it's not like they have a terrible eye for D men or anything, as shown by their drafting of Andersson and Kylington in the 2nd round.

• Cheers 1