The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Canucks sign Arshdeep Bains

2 hours ago, EternalCanuckFan said:

Nice to have some news.

Will hopefully become a fan favorite in Abbotsford and maybe even Vancouver!  Exciting days ahead for him and his family.

He should be a popular player in Abby, which is great. I like seeing Abby develop a fan base.

Bains reportedly had interest from quite a few NHL teams. No doubt he picked Vancouver for hometown reasons.

Playing hockey for a good salary (and even his AHL salary will be good compared to most jobs) near your hometown is great.

He is a longshot to ever play a meaningful number of games in the NHL but he is a legitimate longshot (as opposed to a zero-shor). Out of 6 or 7 legitimate longshots probably at least one of those guys becomes a legitimate NHL player.

On the plus side, he is a late bloomer (think Marty St. Louis) so he may have a longer improvement trajectory than most players. He is not big (180 lbs) and apparently is not a great skater but, if can continue to improve his skating (as Horvat did, but most guys don't) he has a shot.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JamesB said:

He should be a popular player in Abby, which is great. I like seeing Abby develop a fan base.

Bains reportedly had interest from quite a few NHL teams. No doubt he picked Vancouver for hometown reasons.

Playing hockey for a good salary (and even his AHL salary will be good compared to most jobs) near your hometown is great.

He is a longshot to ever play a meaningful number of games in the NHL but he is a legitimate longshot (as opposed to a zero-shor). Out of 6 or 7 legitimate longshots probably at least one of those guys becomes a legitimate NHL player.

On the plus side, he is a late bloomer (think Marty St. Louis) so he may have a longer improvement trajectory than most players. He is not big (180 lbs) and apparently is not a great skater but, if can continue to improve his skating (as Horvat did, but most guys don't) he has a shot.  

Being tutored by a Sutter that should go a long way. He will know the game.

• Vintage 1

4 hours ago, NUCKER67 said:

"Arsedeep Pains"  

Oh so close...

Congrats Arshdeep!

Are you 12? 

What is this middle school. You know how much this kids probably been bullied in this life for his name or the colour of his skin. 

I know you probably think you're smart and funny but if you said it to his face you'd be eating meals through a straw. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

2 hours ago, DeNiro said:

:sick:

Yet we all penciled them into future rosters. :lol:

How naive we were thinking we had good prospects. The best prospect there isn’t as good as our 10th best prospect now. I don’t miss those days.

It's the same thing now with L.Karlsson, Woo, DiPietro, Costmar etc.  Some people still think Tryamkin will come back and become a top 4 defenceman.

Edited by AV.

9 minutes ago, AV. said:

It's the same thing now with L.Karlsson, Woo, DiPietro, Costmar etc.  Some people still think Tryamkin will come back and become a top 4 defenceman.

I mean those guys look more like NHLers than the likes of Schroeder, Corrado, Cannata, and Labate.

Sure they might not pan out but at least I can see parts of their game that should translate to the NHL.

In hindsight the flaws of some of those former prospects are so obvious.

13 minutes ago, AV. said:

I think most fans have at least one they're hoping will buck the odds. 

For me it's Woo. I keep hoping he's advancing under the radar. He's a defensive defenseman so we wouldn't necessarily hear much about his progress. I don't remember hearing much about Tanev until he kept on coming up, then next thing I knew he stuck.

1 minute ago, John_Guest said:

I think most fans have at least one they're hoping will buck the odds. 

For me it's Woo. I keep hoping he's advancing under the radar. He's a defensive defenseman so we wouldn't necessarily hear much about his progress. I don't remember hearing much about Tanev until he kept on coming up, then next thing I knew he stuck.

Yeah if it's a true defensive defenceman with some snarl that we're waiting for, then Woo has gotta be that guy.  Not sure what his progress is either though.

21 minutes ago, AV. said:

But also those aren’t even our best prospects.

I would put Rathbone, McDonaugh, Klimovich, Jurmo, Forsell, and Utunen above most of those guys.

Just now, DeNiro said:

But also those aren’t even our best prospects.

I would put Rathbone, McDonaugh, Klimovich, Jurmo, Forsell, and Utunen above most of those guys.

You can put whoever but it really doesn't change anything.

Just a few years ago, fans were singing the names of Gaudette, Palmu, Dahlen, Gadjovich, Lind, etc. and saying the same thing you are now with regards to the quality of prospects.

1 hour ago, AV. said:

You can put whoever but it really doesn't change anything.

Just a few years ago, fans were singing the names of Gaudette, Palmu, Dahlen, Gadjovich, Lind, etc. and saying the same thing you are now with regards to the quality of prospects.

image.jpeg.a4c507b22d1aab3820d669ec09440021.jpeg