The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Arshdeep Bains | LW

24 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

He's 21 years old playing against 17 year olds.  Dane Fox 2.0...

Probably, but Fox did have McJesus on his team, whereas Baines has ?Bing (scores +goals off B's assists).

Maybe he ends up in Abby.  Whatever the case, it's a right thing to do in this market.

https://thehockeywriters.com/canucks-intriguing-skill-signing-arshdeep-bains/

Here's an interesting take on Baines.  He sounds like a late blooming power forward.  Apparently, there

were 20 NHL teams looking at him.

11 minutes ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

Can he play for Abby if he wanted to? Or does he have to wait for the end of the CHL season? 

He'll have to wait until his season is over.

• Thanks 1

39 minutes ago, higgyfan said:

Probably, but Fox did have McJesus on his team, whereas Baines has ?Bing (scores +goals off B's assists).

Maybe he ends up in Abby.  Whatever the case, it's a right thing to do in this market.

https://thehockeywriters.com/canucks-intriguing-skill-signing-arshdeep-bains/

Here's an interesting take on Baines.  He sounds like a late blooming power forward.  Apparently, there

were 20 NHL teams looking at him.

He'll have to wait until his season is over.

This is true but McDavid was only 16 when they played together in 2013 (turned 17 in January) and Fox was 20.  Fox got 107 points that year and McDavid had 99.  In 2012 they also played together and McDavid was 15 (turning 16) and Fox 19.

One year as an overager makes a big difference in junior.  Maybe Bains will be different, who knows.  Will see what he can do in Abby next year.

7 minutes ago, Quantum said:

I think that's being overly harsh on this signing. Dane Fox went from under a PPG OHL player to being a 100+ point player in one season because his linemate was Connor McDavid. Arshdeep's linemate is Ben King, another undrafted guy the Canucks should consider signing. It's quite different.

I'm not expecting Bains to be a world beater. I don't have the expectation that he'll be Burrows 2.0. But I think his realistic ceiling is someone who could be a third or fourth liner for the Canucks that can chip in 10-15 goals a season. If he's somebody who by the end of his ELC can come in and do what Highmore is doing... or what MacEwen did for us (and now is doing in Philadelphia), I think that would be a win. (I used Highmore/MacEwen as examples because they are former CHL undrafted free agent signing guys who became NHL regulars who have spent significant time in Vancouver).

Bains has improved every season he's been in the WHL and people are taking notice. Some people are late bloomers and it from all scouting reports, it sounds like Bains was a bit of a hockey late bloomer. Not a bad thing.

This team has a gaping hole in prospects that are Arshdeep Bains age (20-25). I expect he's going to be one of about 5-10 prospects his age range that Rutherford/Allvin are going to bring in to fill this gap. Some of those prospects will already be Canucks prospects like Linus Karlsson, Connor Lockhart, Aidan McDonough, Dmitry Zlodeyev... but others will be CHL/College/Euro free agents that this Canucks team will need to take chances on to mine value out of. Getting prospects is a volume game and the more you have the more likely you are to get some big hits. He won't be the last CHL signing. One of the weaknesses of the Benning era was that, despite Benning's reputation as a "super scout", he didn't sign/draft enough prospects so we had to have a higher hit rate just to keep on pace with the rest of the NHL.

When you look at Rutherford's track record in Pittsburgh he was able to find really useful contributors out of the CHL/College/Euro ranks including getting guys like Conor Sheary, Evan Rodrigues, Chad Ruhwedel, Scott Wilson, Tom Kuhnhackl, Carter Rowney, Zachary Aston-Reese, Dominik Simon, and Casey DeSmith seemingly out of nowhere (I will say a few of those names I listed were Penguins draft picks but none of them were drafted higher than the 4th round).

I think there's a large group of Canucks fans that are excited for Bains because of what he represents to their community. It'll be a huge win for the Punjabi community of British Columbia if Bains can get into at least a handful of NHL games... and if he can carve out a good NHL career, it'll be an even bigger win. Similar to Jett Woo, I think there's going to be a lot of people who are going to have higher expectations for Bains because of his ethnicity than what he should have but that shows the need for more diversity in hockey because hockey fans are quite diverse.

With that said, I'm always excited for every prospect. I know not every prospect makes it but as a fan I want every prospect to make it because I know each prospect has the dream of being an NHL regular. If Bains makes it, I'll be thrilled. If Bains tops out as an AHLer, that'll be fine too. I'm sure his mere presence alone in Abbotsford over the next couple of seasons will put fans in the stands and that's a win too.

I don't expect Bains to play an NHL game until 2024 at the earliest.

As long as he can skate. That was Dane Fox’s downfall, kid couldn’t skate...

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

He's 21 years old playing against 17 year olds.  Dane Fox 2.0...

I remember some guy here who was touting Dane Fox and Ronalds Kenins as the next big SUPERSTARS in the NHL.  Glad that guy wasn't part of the Canucks scouting staff (or maybe he was).

Really pulling for Arsheep Bains...I hope he has a strong finish to the season in Red Deer, signs a PTO to finish out the season in Abbotsford, shows well in the AHL playoffs, and comes to prospect and main camp in late summer and lights it up.

Can never have enough prospects. Glad to finally see the Canucks giving opportunities for Western Hockey League players. Especially local kids. 

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, bigbadcanucks said:

I remember some guy here who was touting Dane Fox and Ronalds Kenins as the next big SUPERSTARS in the NHL.  Glad that guy wasn't part of the Canucks scouting staff (or maybe he was).

Really pulling for Arsheep Bains...I hope he has a strong finish to the season in Red Deer, signs a PTO to finish out the season in Abbotsford, shows well in the AHL playoffs, and comes to prospect and main camp in late summer and lights it up.

Can never have enough prospects. Glad to finally see the Canucks giving opportunities for Western Hockey League players. Especially local kids. 

To be fair Kenins was a blast to watch he was 100% heart and full effort every shift. Hard not to like the guy. 

• Cheers 2

On 3/12/2022 at 4:04 PM, Quantum said:

I think that's being overly harsh on this signing. Dane Fox went from under a PPG OHL player to being a 100+ point player in one season because his linemate was Connor McDavid. Arshdeep's linemate is Ben King, another undrafted guy the Canucks should consider signing. It's quite different.

I wonder if they tried to sign Ben King as well, as good as Arshdeep is Ben King looks like a better fit. He is a 19 year old 6'3" right handed center/wing with almost identical points to Arshdeep but more goals. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1