The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] Patrick Kane Trade Talks

8 minutes ago, myre said:

Unless I'm confused though, given the amount that you're wanting to take on, there would still be room no?

It depends on which player is traded with the retention, or if it happens at all.  My main concern is that

the management secure enough $ to sign NCAA contracts (Livingstone and others will likely get +++$).

CapFriendly shows NYR with 1.72M in cap space today - ie it's the non-prorated cap hit the team can add and remain cap compliant at the end of the season.  Kane at 75% retained is a 2.625M cap hit.  Without any further moves to the roster and through a combination of banking cap space and having less days left to the season, that cap space is going to be worth 1.927M at the deadline.  NYR is going to have to demote players on off-days so that they can bank more cap space and reach the 2.625M they need to fit in Kane by 3 March.

Wild have been demoting their recalls back to the AHL on off-days so that they can increase the amount of cap space they can set aside.  Only available to teams that are not in LTIR.  Same idea for NYR:  

• Thanks 1

On 2/25/2023 at 11:58 AM, Mike Vanderhoek said:

That consistent argument or excuse or indictment of the owner is such garbage, EVERY NHL club has an owner whom will be in on NHL meetings, decisions, financial discussions etc.

Why do so many fans here rip an owner who has brought this city its most stable and successful run for the team on and off the ice ? I mean if people don't like the guy for whatever reason thats fine but people should at the least be able to acknowledge the success of this club under his ownership.

Under Aquilini the team has spent to the cap and produced:

The highest winning percentage ( over .560 ) of any ownership group

1 Western Conference Championship

2 Presidents Trophies

6 Division banners

2 Art Ross Trophies

1 Calder Trophy

1 Frank J Selke Trophy

GM of the Year ( Mike Gillis )

1 Hart Trophy

1 Jack Adams Trophy

3 King Clancy Trophies

1 Ted Lindsay Trophy

1 William M Jennings Trophy

Apologies for sidetracking just the " meddling " argument is so lame, some of the best years of hockey we have witnessed was under evil Franceso's rule lol.

My counter-argument to the meddling thing is always this: Does Aquilini meddle? Maybe. But every ownership group is involved in hockey decisions to one degree or another. Its their money being spent afterall. I don't know if that's "meddling".

However even if we take it at face value that Aquilini does exert an unnecessary amount of influence over hockey related decisions, he clearly wants the team to win. He may go about it in a counterproductive manner, but the team could very easily have a miserly owner who won't spend anything on the team, and that is worse. 

• Cheers 1

K'Andre Miller just got a match penalty for spitting on Doughty.  The last time, Hattaway got suspended 3 games for spitting on Gudbranson.  

With Miller ejected NYR are currently playing with only 4 Ds vs LAK - they dressed 6 but decided not to play Schneider because of roster management.  They are likely concerned about injury where they then wouldn't be able to demote him on off-days to bank cap space.  Schneider hasn't seen the ice so far and Carpenter up front has played 13 seconds.

Edited by mll

1 minute ago, HorvatToBaertschi said:

How is no one talking about this lol

I think we're kind of expecting this. (at least I am) Freeing up cap space to facilitate 3rd party trade to the rangers (not us).

I'm more curious to know what we're getting outta it...prospect or draft pick(s). 

Guess it will depend on how much cap we're eating.   

• Tanks a lot 1

8 minutes ago, Blitz-Pix said:

I think we're kind of expecting this. (at least I am) Freeing up cap space to facilitate 3rd party trade to the rangers (not us).

I'm more curious to know what we're getting outta it...prospect or draft pick(s). 

Guess it will depend on how much cap we're eating.   

When Stillman for a prospect gets 20ish pages in the first day on this forum, and nobody comments on Patrick Kane becoming a Canucks for 15 seconds (and also what we could potentially get by being the cap facilitator), and after all the crying on this forum over the last decade about not weaponizing cap... idk i expected at least some discussion haha

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, HorvatToBaertschi said:

When Stillman for a prospect gets 20ish pages in the first day on this forum, and nobody comments on Patrick Kane becoming a Canucks for 15 seconds (and also what we could potentially get by being the cap facilitator), and after all the crying on this forum over the last decade about not weaponizing cap... idk i expected at least some discussion haha

I like what JR/PA are doing with these moves (the bigger deals) and really happy with the smaller deals, Stillman & Kravtsov and opening up cap space.  

It will take a little time to see what we got but eerily optomistic. B)

29 minutes ago, HorvatToBaertschi said:

We'll likely get a 5th rounder, like the Wild have been. I don't foresee us getting anything of note in return for taking 25% of Kane's cap hit, so it's not really all that exciting.

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Chickenspear said:

I hope we can just move one of OEL/Myers to Chicago in lieu of a pick for retaining on Kane.

They gotta meet the cap floor next year somehow, right? :)

I think OEL would cost a 1st but I'd give up our high 2nd this year for them to take him and even consider retaining 1M. His contract really anchors this team.

Would give up a 3rd to get rid of Myers, but his contract is so short we may as well ride it out or flip him next TDL.

• Cheers 1