The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] Canucks interested in Brandon Scanlin

2 minutes ago, Odjick29willkillyou said:

Justin Schultz and Danny DeKeyser were both good young dmen when they first came out of college after not signing with their drafted team. Oh and some kid named Adam Fox, but he just aight ::D

Schultz and Fox were both drafted though so a little different.

I think when you look at undrafted NCAA free agents the success rate drops dramatically. 

That being said a free prospect is a free prospect.

16 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Schultz and Fox were both drafted though so a little different.

I think when you look at undrafted NCAA free agents the success rate drops dramatically. 

That being said a free prospect is a free prospect.

I was referring more to them being drafted and eventually becoming a FA due to not signing with the team who drafted them (Schultz with ANA), but confused DD with Fox who had his rights traded to CAR and eventually NYR. 

Side note: That trade between CGY/CAR was insane looking back at it now. Fox's rights, Dougie Hamilton and Ferland for Lindholm and Hanifin. Thank Hockey Jesus CGY was not able to hold on to Fox, but I doubt they are crying with Lindholm hitting his prime.  

49 minutes ago, Canucks Curse said:

Jack Mcbain anyone?

word out of Minnesota is he will not sign there, not sure why but its p[retty clear Bill Guerin will have too trade him, Alvin has mentioned many times how close he is with Bill Guerin. Thery also have a ton of prospects on D - Cale Addison (also from the Pittsburgh organization), Lambos (probably untopuchable), and now they have a ton of holes with average goaltending, a bunch of older players having career years and contracts that will be up in next 1-2 yrs...

I actually garland who help them, they also need a big physical depth d man... hello pool man!!!, they also have the equivalent of 11 million in cap space at the deadline

maybe they would be interested in halak too...

To MIN

Garland

Poolman

To VAN

Cale Addison

Jack McBain

2022nd 3rd

Best to go after a free prospect and see if he can fill a need before trading for a player.  As we had seen, with Schmidt there is no guarantee an acquired player, will be a good fit.  Although, with Green almost all the players acquired regressed.   

6 minutes ago, Odjick29willkillyou said:

I was referring more to them being drafted and eventually becoming a FA due to not signing with the team who drafted them (Schultz with ANA), but confused DD with Fox who had his rights traded to CAR and eventually NYR. 

Side note: That trade between CGY/CAR was insane looking back at it now. Fox's rights, Dougie Hamilton and Ferland for Lindholm and Hanifin. Thank Hockey Jesus CGY was not able to hold on to Fox, but I doubt they are crying with Lindholm hitting his prime.  

Carolina got sent to the cleaners.

Calgary still has Lindholm and Hanafin

Carolina has a 21 year old goalie who is looking like an AHL backup and a 20 yeah old who is middling in the SHL (those were the two 2nds they got for fox)

Crazy to think how good Carolina is and to imagine how good they would have been had they got pieces with term/club control.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

Here’s a good profile article from January:

https://www.collegehockeynews.com/news/amp/2022/01/20_Omaha-Free-Agent-D-Scanlin.php

Excerpt:

Standing at 6-foot-4, 213 pounds, Scanlin’s frame alone projects well for his future. He creates offense, especially on the power play,  his vision is a plus and he uses his size to his advantage. He’s smart, mobile and positionally sound as well, but there’s one other intangible that stands out. He leads by example and brings a work ethic to the rink that is unrivaled.

“Coaches aren’t supposed to have favorites, but Brandon Scanlin has earned that right to be a favorite,” Omaha head coach Mike Gabinet said. “The way he prepares, the way he practices, his consistency in the way he plays- he’s a true professional.

“If we have any young players that want to pick one guy and watch how they operate and how you can maximize your potential, it’s Brandon Scanlin. Just a tremendous leader, tremendous player, tremendous person, and I just can’t say enough positive things about him.”

At one point last season, Gabinet quipped if you look up consistency in the dictionary there should be a picture of Scanlin next to it. So it’s no secret the trust the fifth-year head coach and assistant coach Paul Jerrard, who runs the Omaha defensemen, have in Scanlin.

EDIT: Chris Faber also wrote a detailed profile back in December (and he’s been beating the Scanlin drum for a while now):

https://canucksarmy.com/2021/12/31/big-strong-ncaa-free-agent-defenceman-vancouver-canucks-sign/

Hmmmmmm...sounds like Alex Edler.

And there's the Paul Jerrard connection - ex Assistant Coach to Travis Green at Utica.

Edited by bigbadcanucks

12 minutes ago, coryberg said:

Carolina got sent to the cleaners.

Calgary still has Lindholm and Hanafin

Carolina has a 21 year old goalie who is looking like an AHL backup and a 20 yeah old who is middling in the SHL (those were the two 2nds they got for fox)

Crazy to think how good Carolina is and to imagine how good they would have been had they got pieces with term/club control.

Just speaks to their management's ability to scout, draft, trade, etc. Fox knew where he wanted to play (NYR) from the beginning so anywhere but there (or maybe NYI) was probably not going to happen. Just makes me appreciate the kids like Gaudette and Rathbone who signed with us after college (especially Gaud since he was so highly touted and could have played that card to go elsewhere). Obviously did not work out for us, but at least he is still in the league lol. 

8 minutes ago, Rick Blight said:
Top undrafted NCAA players in the NHL since 2005
Player Signed NCAA team Goals Assists Points
Matt Read 2011 Bemidji State 64 76 140
Andy Greene 2006 Miami 31 138 169
Tyler Bozak 2009 Denver 91 133 224
Jason Garrison 2008 Minnesota-Duluth 42 96 138
Justin Fontaine 2011 Minnesota-Duluth 22 27 49
Christian Folin 2014 Lowell 2 9 11
Teddy Purcell 2007 Maine 85 173 258
Torey Krug 2012 Michigan State 26 50 76
Danny DeKeyser 2013 Western Michigan 6 43 49

Chris Tavev is better than those guys.  He was a college UFA wasn't he?

• Cheers 1

10 minutes ago, Rick Blight said:
Top undrafted NCAA players in the NHL since 2005
Player Signed NCAA team Goals Assists Points
Matt Read 2011 Bemidji State 64 76 140
Andy Greene 2006 Miami 31 138 169
Tyler Bozak 2009 Denver 91 133 224
Jason Garrison 2008 Minnesota-Duluth 42 96 138
Justin Fontaine 2011 Minnesota-Duluth 22 27 49
Christian Folin 2014 Lowell 2 9 11
Teddy Purcell 2007 Maine 85 173 258
Torey Krug 2012 Michigan State 26 50 76
Danny DeKeyser 2013 Western Michigan 6 43 49

Chris-Tanev-Vancouver-Canucks.jpg

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2

3 hours ago, Should've_Drafted_Kopitar said:

Every year there's some new top prospect from the NCAA that people are salivating over.

Has any ever turned out to be a good NHL player? 

Pundits compare these guys to getting a free 2nd-4th round pick.  

A few gems, a decent number of guys who at least suit for for some games, and a bunch of guys that are organizational depth or don’t make it.

The downside compared with draft picks, is these guys immediately use up a contract spot for a couple years, so they have to have a decent shot at panning out and being able to step up into Abby.  A later draft pick can be left in juniors or in Europe for a while without having to offer them a pro contract.

From what I have read about him he could probably step onto the Canucks d-corp and outperform Hunt.  Bigger guy who has good skating, smarts & a bit of a mean streak, been missing that from the blue line other than Schenn. I'm hoping we snag him.