The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[GDT] Flames @ Canucks l Saturday, March 19/22 l 7:00 pm PT - GO CANUCKS

Rate this topic

-DLC-

3 minutes ago, Beary Sweet said:

We ran into a team tonight that we want to become just like in the near future. Maybe this shows that we should be sellers. Trade Boeser, Miller, Myers, Schenn, etc and get younger players, high draft picks 

Back to the future ?:bigblush: they have a lot of our old players 

1 minute ago, Darius said:

Benning.  There’s no other explanation. 

Too bad he passed on tchuck or however you spell his name.   Would be nice to have another 70 pointer on the team.    Calgary almost has four 30 goal scorers.   

4 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

Dowloing, Bailey, DiGuisippe, Lockwood would all be superior options, as would dressing an extra D.

First 3 already have been called up and looked just as bad.  I would like to see Lockwood up for a few games

3 minutes ago, Beary Sweet said:

We ran into a team tonight that we want to become just like in the near future. Maybe this shows that we should be sellers. Trade Boeser, Miller, Myers, Schenn, etc and get younger players, high draft picks 

$&!#...a good percentage of  calgary's best 9layers are guys we had  (Marky, tanev) or could have had (tkachuk).  JB had no clue how to build a team and I'm not sure even JR can turn this bunch into a real nhl team. 

10 minutes ago, Googlie said:

But is he being given a chance?  His deployment when captaining the Juniors, as with St Petersburg thru their playoff run, was as an every situation player.  He is a presence on the PP, can PK, and can be a play driver 5 on 5, except he has been told his role is to be a puck retriever and defence-first player.  How much can he do with 8 or 9 minutes a game?

He's been given opportunity. He's played with good players. He's been given ice time at times with good players. 

I think he drives the play 5 on 5 like Boeser does (can, but doesn't do it). 

He has the ability to be a Motte type player. When he's invested and on his game he's feisty, will hit, will stand up for his team. He has all of the tools in the tool shed to be an extremely effective 3rd or 4th liner. I'd say that should be his wheelhouse given what he can excel at. 

I don't think he's shown anything aside from having a good shot that warrants a look in the top 6. He very very very rarely shows the hands he possesses, he rarely gets himself into positions to get his shot off in good areas (if he could figure that out then he'd be a 20 goal scorer easily), hasn't been a great playmaker, etc. 

You may be right, he might be instructed to have his role be purely shutdown but that still doesn't negate the fact you can show offensive IQ and have a tenacious forecheck, etc. 

He has the tools. But at the end of the day you gotta use them. He's played extremely safe hockey, but at the end of the day it's gonna keep you with those minutes because in order to move up you need to show you can generate points. I'm not sold he's been in any doghouse. 

Edit: I see Podkolzin aligning very similarly with how Bo was as a rookie except Bo showed a willingness to take command of his role. Both were slower, defensive players with tools but Bo was a wrecking ball on the third and fourth lines when he was early in his career. He tried to be the driver of his lines. You could see him projecting upwards a lot more easily. 

Edited by MikeyD

Based on the last 5 periods this team does not deserve to be held together to be given a shot at the playoffs. It needs to be dismantled and re tooled. There is a lack of speed and the D just has no ability to make outlet passes or join on the rush.

With the kings ransoms being paid this year the Canucks need to be selling for the future, yeah its gunna suck for the rest of this year and next year might suck too, but the haul that the team can get will help in the future for sure

20 minutes ago, AnotherCanucksFan said:

No way they are trading JT Miller on Monday, regardless of whether they make the playoffs. 

Gotta wonder why Miller would want to stick around after next year. The guy is going to get huge offers and go to a team with a serious chance to win. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1