The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Canucks trade Travis Hamonic to Senators for 2022 3rd-round pick

1 minute ago, Maniwaki Canuck said:

Hamonic was mostly good for us when he was in the lineup and came at a bargain last year.  I like his toughness and he can still skate well enough to play the modern game, so good mix of old- and new-school.  But with Schenn and Burroughs giving us 3rd pairing quality at a bargain price on the right side and Poolman about to return, I'm more than okay with moving on.  The return is fair and probably would have been lower at any other time of year, considering that Schmidt went for a 3rd twice within consecutive offseasons.  So this is good.  Best wishes to Hamonic for the rest of his career and thanks for helping out here.

I think this is the first step of properly rebuilding our D. Pooman is fine as a 3rd pair RHD, but we really need two top-4 RHD that arent going to get walked. Our defense is simply too slow.

• Vintage 1

8 minutes ago, CanuckFan1123 said:

So technically Jim Benning still looks like a genius despite being gone. 

We traded a 3rd for Nate Schmidt 

We traded Schmidt and recouped a different 3rd

We got a free asset in Travis Hamonic

We traded Hamonic for the original 3rd. 

In the end we basically got a free 3rd round pick out of all of it. 

The Canucks got an extra 3rd, but  what's the cost?

Schmidt and Hamonic combined for 1.5 bad seasons compared to what they were capable of.

And due to their cap-hits, it could lead to the fact that the Canucks let a few free agents walked away.

2 minutes ago, BlastPast said:

Eases the logjam at RD while creating a bit of cap space and adding a third. Not bad. Hopefully Poolman can step his game up a bit.

Poolman has zero fire or intensity to his game.  Thats part of the reason a team already thin on defense like winnipeg let him go.