The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Maple Leafs trade Travis Dermott to Canucks for 2022 3rd-round pick

Had a pretty good chat with a leafs fan. After thoroughly santazing my hands and scrubbing out my mouth with soap, figured I'd report what they had to say.

-good bottom pair D, occasionally frustrating

-pushed down lineup by Sanding

-skates well, pretty fast

-not physical but used to be more scrappy 

-has been decent offensively as a bottom D, but struggled when pushes up the lineup

-good defender, can get pushed around in front of net

-can make good plays, but also can make some really terrible plays that often lead to goals against

-has the tools, just needs to learn to use the toolbox (heard that one around here before)

-has been solid as a 3rd pair D, jury is still out if he can be anything better

-very well liked, solid human

-this trade in the eyes of the leafs is Dubas giving him a fresh start to try to go from being a 3rd pair to a top 4D

Take what you want from this, but this is the bullet points from a fan who watched him since the draft

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Shayster007 said:

Had a pretty good chat with a leafs fan. After thoroughly santazing my hands and scrubbing out my mouth with soap, figured I'd report what they had to say.

-has been decent offensively as a bottom D, but struggled when pushes up the lineup

-can make good plays, but also can make some really terrible plays that often lead to goals against

-has the tools, just needs to learn to use the toolbox (heard that one around here before)

-this trade in the eyes of the leafs is Dubas giving him a fresh start to try to go from being a 3rd pair to a top 4D

Take what you want from this, but this is the bullet points from a fan who watched him since the draft

Sounds like a Ben Hutton eh?

55 minutes ago, eeeeergh said:

Agreed Guddy is a perfectly reasonable third pairing defenseman, but Benning's "eye test" projected him as a top-4 savior to our defensive woes, and was worth losing Jared McCann, a 2nd, and a 4th round pick for him. 

That's the problem with people who use the "eye test", they're clouded by their biases, and dont realize that they miss a ton of what the player is actually doing. Analytics tell a much more complete picture, and the best teams in the league rely much more heavily on them than preconceived notions of what a "winning" hockey team looks like.  

Gudbranson was a #3 overall pick in the draft. Obviously a lot of teams and scouts felt he had the potential to be a top 4 Dman in the NHL. Scouts used the eye test for decades with great success.

Analytics has now become a part of every NHL team’s scouting practice. However scouts still go to the games and look at players in real time. Relying on analytics alone isn’t going to help you much. Arizona figured that out the hard way. 

1 minute ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Gudbranson was a #3 overall pick in the draft. Obviously a lot of teams and scouts felt he had the potential to be a top 4 Dman in the NHL. Scouts used the eye test for decades with great success.

Analytics has now become a part of every NHL team’s scouting practice. However scouts still go to the games and look at players in real time. Relying on analytics alone isn’t going to help you much. Arizona figured that out the hard way. 

I think I phrased my point wrong - seeing the player is definitely important, chemistry, fit, etc. but ignoring bad analytics is a recipe for disaster. Benning did it repeatedly and everytime he did we ended up losing valuable assets, or way overpaying. 

The same I believe can be said for passing over a player b/c of a casual eye test, when the numbers tell a different story. From what's been explained, Dermott plays aggressively and challenges the puck carrier, prevents zone entries. It's definitely a higher risk strategy and when it fails he looks horrendous but because it works so often, the numbers work out well and he looks like a net positive to the team. 

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Arizona still ran old school on scouting

35 minutes ago, ShawnAntoski said:

Samething they said about Benn or Schmidt but good chance, he plays better on his natural side

For Ehrhoff the right was his natural side. He played there since he was a kid. Salo grew up playing both sides and brought it to the NHL. I do believe that's the key to players having success on their off side. They started at an early age and adapted very well to it. That's not to say I want 3 lefties on the right side but was Ehrhoff a hindrance there? The big advantage to a right side righty is taking the puck off the boards on the forehand. Being a lefty for Ehrhoff was an advantage for one timers from Edler passes. It's just a trade off.

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, Baggins said:

For Ehrhoff the right was his natural side. He played there since he was a kid. Salo grew up playing both sides and brought it to the NHL. I do believe that's the key to players having success on their off side. They started at an early age and adapted very well to it. That's not to say I want 3 lefties on the right side but was Ehrhoff a hindrance there? The big advantage to a right side righty is taking the puck off the boards on the forehand. Being a lefty for Ehrhoff was an advantage for one timers from Edler passes. It's just a trade off.

Yeah, it all comes to the players ability to adapt and the coaches understanding of there roster.  Imo, the Dermott trade, is one that is made when the core is set & ready.  Anyways, JR did acknowledged, in the interview with McCown that Allvin is being tasked with ANOTHER rebuild, whilst, in the same time period that Kings & Ducks are almost done with there rebuild.

Edited by ShawnAntoski

40 minutes ago, Shayster007 said:

I'm hearing similar things. One thing of note is that he has a strong character and is a good person. So the fact he's had to wear a leafs jersey for so long likely affected him to the core.

I'm not saying Dermott is the second coming of Tanev, but I believe he will be a better player in Van than he was in TOR.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

See people. This is what I've been saying all afternoon. You can trade for what a player is, or you can trade for what you think a player can be. Both have risks, but generally only one method has a chance of great success

• Cheers 1