The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Maple Leafs trade Travis Dermott to Canucks for 2022 3rd-round pick

I don’t mind this

TD is cheap low risk upgrade one season left  at 1.5 could be moved easily in a year as a depth or waived and sent down as depth. 

Or he could regain some of his past form and become a solid younger d just coming into his prime. 

I never liked hamonic and his me first attitude good riddance. I’ll only play here or here I’ll sign the contract knowing the requirements then  Change my mind about it and screw the team for a few months. 
Rumours have like he wasn’t liked in the room either. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, combover said:

I don’t mind this

TD is cheap low risk upgrade one season left  at 1.5 could be moved easily in a year as a depth or waived and sent down as depth. 

Or he could regain some of his past form and become a solid younger d just coming into his prime. 

I never liked hamonic and his me first attitude good riddance. I’ll only play here or here I’ll sign the contract knowing the requirements then  Change my mind about it and screw the team for a few months. 

Preferred that they keep the pick.   

10 minutes ago, Harold Drunken said:

What assets??? You know the probability of a 3rd rounder playing meaningful games in the NHL is? Very, very high likelihood a 3rd round player wouldn't be as good as Dermott. 

He was projected to be a top 4 defenceman and with mixed partners and low playing time never found his groove in Toronto

We got a younger, faster ,cheaper, better versatile dman, while getting rid of Hamonic, whom Marc Methot tweeted not sure if he'd want a guy like him influencing younger 

The fact he wanted out of Toronto and likes the Canucks, he should be welcomed here ;)

Our management likes him, another guy who was failing in another organization that thrived when he came here was Naslund

It cost us a 3rd to add NHL depth and i like this move even without him being another Naslund

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, Harold Drunken said:

Compared to all those top tier shut down defensive dmen we have on our roster???

Not true if you compare average +/- over their careers albeit Hamonic has obviously played more games.  Hamonic wasn't exactly shutting guys down this year by any means. 

If you're complaining about getting a younger Dman with more upside while gaining cap room then you're point is already moot. The fact that someone was willing to take Hamonic and all of this $3m a year is enough to celebrate.

I think the problem for some is that after we made a great trade in the Hamonic deal we turned around and got rid of 75% of that big win. However, either way we needed a LD for next year and we're not getting one much cheaper that can actually play. Hunt was not the answer. So really the cap isn't an issue but I guess it's the player we choose in Dermott. Is he really the guy that it was important enough to jump on now? Seems a little kneejerk from the outside here but I guess they must have been looking at this guy for a awhile.

It's really hard to judge 3rd string guys on other teams unless you're watching them closely in a prolonged number of games so I'll give the new management team the benefit of the doubt. Hopefully he flourishes here. Seems like a great kid. Although I do detect a faint musty leaf smell so hopefully that wears off.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, ba;;isticsports said:

He was projected to be a top 4 defenceman and with mixed partners and low playing time never found his groove in Toronto

We got a younger, faster ,cheaper, better versatile dman, while getting rid of Hamonic, whom Marc Methot tweeted not sure if he'd want a guy like him influencing younger 

The fact he wanted out of Toronto and likes the Canucks, he should be welcomed here ;)

Our management likes him, another guy who was failing in another organization that thrived when he came here was Naslund

It cost us a 3rd to add NHL depth and i like this move even without him being another Naslund

Good take. Agreed. 

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Gawdzukes said:

I think the problem for some is that after we made a great trade in the Hamonic deal we turned around and got rid of 75% of that big win. However, either way we needed a LD for next year and we're not getting one much cheaper that can actually play. Hunt was not the answer. So really the cap isn't an issue but I guess it's the player we choose in Dermott. Is he really the guy that it was important enough to jump on now? Seems a little kneejerk from the outside here but I guess they must have been looking at this guy for a awhile.

It's really hard to judge 3rd string guys on other teams unless you're watching them closely in a prolonged number of games so I'll give the new management team the benefit of the doubt. Hopefully he flourishes here. Seems like a great kid. Although I do detect a faint musty leaf smell so hopefully that wears off.

You know the problem with composting leafs? A lot of bad stains.

• Haha 1

Remember that time we got tofolli and finally we  had a legit top six that bottom six players were trying to fill, and it worked well and turned out to be a great fit! Then management ran out of time and signed virtanen and tofolli went on to kick our ass like no tomorrow in Montreal and now is in Calgary fitting in really well there? 

good times 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Vintage 3

20 minutes ago, Shayster007 said:

Yes, yes it is. I was referred to as "weak" yesterday for talking to other teams fans about a player. The internet is a strange place.

That guy you were "talking to" has some ... hmmm inequalities let's say. To put it kindly let's just say his judgement on hockey but mostly foreign hockey players is completely shot. ::D My favorite is the wild ranting and raving where you can picture his drunken Avatar screaming and chasing you with an axe.

• Haha 2

29 minutes ago, combover said:

I don’t mind this

1000% Yup that guy was a complete goof. Take your $32mil in career earnings and f#%k off if you can't commit and don't respect the team you're playing for, the league you're in, or the opportunity you've been given. Selfish human being.

10 minutes ago, AlphaNuck said:

Remember that time we got tofolli and finally we  had a legit top six that bottom six players were trying to fill, and it worked well and turned out to be a great fit! Then management ran out of time and signed virtanen and tofolli went on to kick our ass like no tomorrow in Montreal and now is in Calgary fitting in really well there? 

good times 

that summer set us back 5 years, we kept gaudette and virtanen and had Player Name and lost Markstrom, tanev, toffoli fort NOTHING, and we could have moved Demko and imagine the haul we would have had # asset management

• Haha 1

33 minutes ago, Gawdzukes said:

How exactly did we get rid of the win? Yes we got a third for Hamonic, but statistically 3rd rounders don't often amount to much let alone a Dman with high upside who's played 250+ NHL games. There's somewhere around a 20% of a third round pick plays over 100 NHL games and only around 50% they play a game period. So, a third vs. Dermott isn't an easy argument to make as a loss. He's an upgrade over Hamonic and is cheaper. He's also better than Poolman who's making $1m a year more. Getting rid of Hamonic and his $3m a year is a win regardless of what we got in return...we should be thankful a team was willing to take him and we didn't have to retain salary.

We didn't "choose" Dermott, he's what was available in their demographic which was a young/ish defenseman on a good contract with upside...the opposite of Hamonic in that regard., You don't just choose players to trade for, they have to be available and attainable. Dermott is an upgrade over Hamonic, Hunt and Poolman. You make it seem like a high % of third rounders are impact players who regularly make NHL rosters and stick around...that's not the reality of it. Dermott is almost certainly better and more likely to make an impact than any third rounder we would have chosen.

Edited by Harold Drunken
  • Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, Gawdzukes said:

That guy you were "talking to" has some ... hmmm inequalities let's say. To put it kindly let's just say his judgement on hockey but mostly foreign hockey players is completely shot. ::D My favorite is the wild ranting and raving where you can picture his drunken Avatar screaming and chasing you with an axe.

Lol at least it's nice to know I'm not special. I had that poster blocked for months so when I unblocked them to see a directed post within a couple weeks was kinda unnerved. Not sure how often that was happening, and it doesn't really matter. Just, very strange.

• Cheers 1

35 minutes ago, AlphaNuck said:

good times 

Should’ve kept Toffoli.