The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Canucks trade Tyler Motte to Rangers for 2023 4th-round pick

Poor Motte, I wonder how this all affects his offseason. 9 games, solid 4th line and PK minutes and hitting and blocking loads of shots but 0 goals, 0 assists.

I know his agent will ask for more than 2M but I can't see the Rangers being able to afford that for a guy who hasnt been scoring. If he was still scoring at his 15 goal pace then sure he deserves more but maybe teams will pass on him and if they realise he's worth 1.5M I hope Canucks management circle back on him. Play him on our 3rd line and give Lockwood the 4th line.

Great so everyone pays. The Canucks don’t have Motte anymore, and neither the Rangers.

Actually, this happens more often than we’d like to admit with incoming deadline players. 

The new player comes into a new system they’re not accustomed to and bam, wrong place, wrong time.

2 hours ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

Poor Motte, I wonder how this all affects his offseason. 9 games, solid 4th line and PK minutes and hitting and blocking loads of shots but 0 goals, 0 assists.

I know his agent will ask for more than 2M but I can't see the Rangers being able to afford that for a guy who hasnt been scoring. If he was still scoring at his 15 goal pace then sure he deserves more but maybe teams will pass on him and if they realise he's worth 1.5M I hope Canucks management circle back on him. Play him on our 3rd line and give Lockwood the 4th line.

Looking at Motte overall career, he’s around a 10-15pt guy.  To me, that only warrants a $1.5M tops.

Maybe he’ll circle around back to Canucks in the offseason.

• Cheers 1

6 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Is Motte healthy though?  

He’s out with a significant upper body injury but supposedly not the head.  So he’s out for the rest of the season and probably the playoffs as well.

Guess it’s a shoulder injury.

However he is so injury prone that at most would just offer him $1M at this point of his career.  He’s 27yr now and only got 16pts a few years ago and 15pts this year.  Doubtful he will improve his point totals much.

11 minutes ago, BPA said:

He’s out with a significant upper body injury but supposedly not the head.  So he’s out for the rest of the season and probably the playoffs as well.

Guess it’s a shoulder injury.

However he is so injury prone that at most would just offer him $1M at this point of his career.  He’s 27yr now and only got 16pts a few years ago and 15pts this year.  Doubtful he will improve his point totals much.

Man I feel for the guy.

The Canucks offer was probably more than fair and now with this injury he might have to take a one year show me deal.

3 hours ago, DeNiro said:

Man I feel for the guy.

The Canucks offer was probably more than fair and now with this injury he might have to take a one year show me deal.

If it's not a serious injury, maybe Canucks can offer him a 2-3 year deal in the summer slightly less than what they had previously offered (as we lost his services for out playoff drive and there is risk of injury) 

Motte plays a style that like Ferland, will lead to an early decline of effectiveness.

That said, if there was an opportunity to resign him this off season for under 1.5, pending medical clearance, I would do it in a heartbeat.

We are harder to play against when he's on the ice and healthy.

42 minutes ago, Bobby James said:

I'd sign Motte for 1.3 - 1.5 mil per season for 4 - 5 years this offseason. 

Maybe a little less money then what he was hoping for, but gets some term for a guy hurt fairly often and comes back to an organization he did well in. 

Yup 1.5 for a 4 year term would be great. 

Hard to criticize his production when he hasn't been given a chance with talented players. 

I think he could be a Jannick Hansen type guy with more grit and battle level. 

Chiasson at least gets PP time etc. 

26 minutes ago, CanucksJay said:

Yup 1.5 for a 4 year term would be great. 

Hard to criticize his production when he hasn't been given a chance with talented players. 

I think he could be a Jannick Hansen type guy with more grit and battle level. 

Chiasson at least gets PP time etc. 

Nobody's given a chance at a pro level, that's not how it works. How many tip ins and primary assists have you seen Motte do vs Chiasson who's on a league min contract?

Not bashing Motte, he's a great player at around 1.5 mil although injury prone and made a difference on our 4th line, but let's not pretend he's a top 6 forward because he's never been given a "chance".

Edited by J-P
  • Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, J-P said:

Nobody's given a chance at a pro level, that's not how it works. How many tip ins and primary assists have you seen Motte do vs Chiasson who's on a league min contract?

Not bashing Motte, he's a great player at around 1.5 mil although injury prone and made a difference on our 4th line, but let's not pretend he's a top 6 forward because he's never been given a "chance".

Personaly I feel like he's earned a chance to move up the lineup but he was such an important factor in the 4th line that the team was scared to displace him from that line.

When hogz was in a slump or Pearson was injured, if they had a Richardson and Lockwood playing like they are, I'm sure they would have given Motte a look in the top 6. Problem is, that would have crippled our bottom 6 and the team didnt want to do that.

I mean, that SE road trip for example... we were decimated with injuries and our best line was our 4th line that road trip. Why would they risk disrupting literally the only good thing we had going at that time by moving Motte up?

On 4/14/2022 at 3:10 PM, J-P said:

Speaking of which Motter has been out for a couple of weeks now. Don't know what the injury is? 

20 minutes ago, Boudrias said:

Speaking of which Motter has been out for a couple of weeks now. Don't know what the injury is? 

Serious upper body injury. Don’t think it’s a concussion.

Probably his shoulder? Either way he’s likely done for the season.

• 3 weeks later...