The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Canucks prospect Karlsson breaks Pettersson's rookie record in Sweden

Rate this topic

Drive-By Body Pierce

That's great and all, but we need to keep in mind he's 22. He's a man playing against men, when Petey was just a boy.

Also, let's not fool ourselves - the SHL is not a particularly talented league. Top scorers include the likes of Linus Omark, and others like Rattie who haven't been good enough to stick in the NHL or even the AHL. 

Still, promising news I suppose...

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

Overall this looks like pretty good news.  He's not someone we are really counting on to emerge into the NHL, but this just shows there is a chance.  Only thing that gives me pause is the "Isn't a great skater" as we have a few of those already.  Can be worked on, and if the talent is there, it can be overcome to a degree.  

Hoping that he continues to impress and appears to have a strong drive to succeed.

Just because he broke it at 22, instead of 18 19, doesn't mean he's not going to break out one day. It shows a ton of promise because a ton of SHL men do not score in that league.

Edited by Dazzle
  • Vintage 3

I think the angle of this article is particularly interesting...

Correct me if I'm wrong here, Karlsson's Skellefteå AIK team is in a league that is one tier above Dahlen's...

Dahlen purposefully went back to his old team to play for two more years before breaking out in the NHL. Now I'm not suggesting that Karlsson is going to break out in a massive way, but I think it's rather dishonest of the article to mention that Dahlen "may be the better player in the NHL" because we only have one NHL season to look, but several seasons of Timra where Dahlen did not improve over his previous year in a second tier league.

Who's to say that Karlsson can't produce more points than Dahlen? The difference in age is 2 (Karlsson being younger), and Karlsson has outproduced in a better league, while also playing against men in a defensive league.

image.thumb.png.c0a23d4385dafd1ccc3216acb5dbb5c9.png

And while Dahlen had an incredible start to the season, he has cooled down significantly.

image.thumb.png.fbf977b5cfd7fcc982801684d4694f0a.png

As a comparison between rookies, our Podkolzin has fewer points with more games played, but his +/- is significantly better (+5). I think it's safe to say (at this point) that if Dahlen isn't scoring, he's not helping his team. Of course, these two players play different games, so a comparison of this sort will be debatable in all sorts of directions.

image.thumb.png.8b6672ec3d14858ff7d601e6131feeff.png

Edited by Dazzle
  • Cheers 1

If he turns into a solid 15 to 20 goal guy in the NHL, that's a win.

Does anybody have a list of the top rookie goal scorers or points scorers in the SHL all-time?  Nice to know the Canucks own the #1 and #2 spot now.

Certainly encouraging signs from Karlsson.  Just going to enjoy seeing Karlsson play in NA and possibly make the jump to the NHL at some point.  He still has a long way to go but considering how muted expectations were when he was acquired, his progression is great to see.

Giving up Dahlen at the time wasn't great but, to be fair to the regime at the time, Dahlen also hadn't done enough to guarantee a spot on the Canucks' roster.  He should have probably been given more opportunity, but we can't turn back the clock now.  Dahlen was pretty productive from October to January but has been cold since February.  I haven't looked at his deployment since February but he hasn't been generating many shots during this cold streak.  His ice time has dropped fairly significantly as well.  Curious if it's a factor of the long NHL regular season, higher physicality, etc.  Maybe Dahlen will learn from this season and come back stronger next season.

1 hour ago, higgyfan said:

That's the significant difference between Linus and Dahlen.  Linus certainly has offensive IQ

but can also play the defensive end, which makes him more versatile than Dahlen.

From what I've read, Linus has good size anda 'never give up' attitude.  If he can end up

as a 3C-r for the Canucks, he would fulfill a role that has evaded our team for quite some

time. A 2-way right C that can turn help turn his line into a 3rd scoring line would be such

a lift for the team.  We'll see how he does in Abby next season. 

likely Abby, but who knows we've seen kids impress at camp and get spots. Boudreau won't be plug hunting like Green was. 

• Vintage 2