The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Boudreau's ability to see potential... thinking outside the box

Rate this topic

*Buzzsaw*

I think BB has taken Podz under his wing.  There have been shots of the bench with BB having his hands on Podz shoulder pads in a fatherly way.

Watch for this story to come out cuz I think he is helping to produce a great player here.

• Cheers 1

3 hours ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

Honestly it just comes down to calibre and experience. Green was the worst coach this team has had since maybe Willie. We hired 2 rookie AHL coaches who have not seen the light of the NHL before or since, and for good reason - they're just not good enough for the NHL.

And yet, as Drance pointed out in D & D, Willy Desjardins' record for his first 40 games as a Canucks coach is better than Boudreau 's first 40 games.  Go figure that one out (maybe the Sedins had something to do with it?)

55 minutes ago, fanfor42 said:

I think BB has taken Podz under his wing.  There have been shots of the bench with BB having his hands on Podz shoulder pads in a fatherly way.

Watch for this story to come out cuz I think he is helping to produce a great player here.

But obviously BB hasn't taken the time to watch any video of the U18s or Podz playoff run with St Petersburg.  Elite penalty killer, and first over the boards for the powerplay.  At least Green, for all his faults, did put Podz on the second PP unit ..... he had watched the videos 

10 minutes ago, Googlie said:

But obviously BB hasn't taken the time to watch any video of the U18s or Podz playoff run with St Petersburg.  Elite penalty killer, and first over the boards for the powerplay.  At least Green, for all his faults, did put Podz on the second PP unit ..... he had watched the videos 

Uh ya. Green was doing a better job with Podz just a worse job with everything else...

..oh boy partner. That's a really poor take.

5 hours ago, Angry Goose said:

Boudreau has been such a great fit in almost every way possible.  

With the team playing so much better it would be hard to believe the players dont believe in him as well. 

Me being speculative but it seems like Miller has been much more publicly enthusiastic as well since Boudreau came on board.  Not saying he hated Green but maybe he’s seeing something good in what Boudreau is doing. 

Remember that outburst in a practice when Green was running a weird drill and Miller screams "We dont know what the f*** we're doing!!"

Or that time a powerplay was being drawn up, and Garland and Boeser were shaking their heads in disagreement?

yea... the coaching was incompetent.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

58 minutes ago, Googlie said:

Boudreau is giving Podz sheltered minutes to develop his game, that's how u teach a player how to grow effectively without hurting their confidence or putting too much pressure on them that they cant handle.

Jack Hughes got even less time in his rookie season than Podz is getting right now. 

Green putting Hogs in the top-6 right away may have been the worst thing he could have done for Hogs' development. Now Hogs' confidence is shot b/c he isnt playing in the top-6 and scoring goals, and his game has a ton of defensive holes that werent worked on under Green. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, NUCKER67 said:

EDM - 16 games left, 77 pts

VAN 15 games left, 73 pts

Everyone's focused on DAL, VGK, STL and WPG,  but VAN actually has a good chance of catching EDM for that 3rd spot in the Pacific. As long as they beat out EDM, they're in.

Two difference makers the Oilers just don't have:  Demko and Boudreau

Ive been viewing this for a few weeks as the only logical option for the Canucks, they need to be third in the division to get in. Just chase down Vegas and then Oilers. Its very doable as we can gain 6 points on the Knights in the next handful of games if we beat them.

• Cheers 1

6 hours ago, Hairy Kneel said:

Oh man if I could go back in time to get Coach B in here sooner.. 

if that was the case Benning would likely also still have a job. 

I would have been interesting what BB would have been able to do with the bubble team. 

• Vintage 1

I think BB is an encourager, an opportunist, and recognizes the strengths and weaknesses of his players and gets them playing to those strengths while also holding them accountable. 

Green was a stifling coach that would suffocate certain players and had an old schoolteacher approach and if you made a mistake would make you go stand in the corner. 

He thought the strength of his team was himself and his system,  not the players working together with a system.

His personal life aside, I wonder how virtanen would have done under BB? 

JB put together this team and I'll give him credit for that.  But how he held onto green for so long is beyond me. 

I'm no hockey genius, but it was painfully obvious to me at least two years ago green wasn't good.  Frustrating to see us struggling now just to barely squeeze into the playoffs......maybe. 

Next year should be a treat. 

8 hours ago, eeeeergh said:

Remember that outburst in a practice when Green was running a weird drill and Miller screams "We dont know what the f*** we're doing!!"

Or that time a powerplay was being drawn up, and Garland and Boeser were shaking their heads in disagreement?

yea... the coaching was incompetent.

What about that game a couple years ago in Montreal I think where one of our players took a shot to the head and had trouble getting up and to the bench.  We were all screaming for a penalty.  They asked green about it after the game.

Nya he shrugged, it was a hockey play. 

Seemed like he was saying    so what. 

Edited by erkayloomeh
  • Sad 1

13 hours ago, Phil_314 said:

Same with putting Quinn Hughes on the PK, despite him being our physically smallest defender.  Not only is his IQ high, but so is his mobility and he can get the zone clears as needed, plus he's probably a threat to spring his teammates on shorthanded chances given his passing ability.  I think some coaches still have the big-bodied, physical, stay-at-home type as their choice for PK defenders so good on him for using our star guys.

Boudreau's most trusted D in Minnesota was Spurgeon - barely 5'9 and 166' and smaller than Hughes.  He admitted to being very skeptical that he could matchup against top lines when he 1st saw him but was won over very quickly.  

• Vintage 1

13 hours ago, Googlie said:

And yet, as Drance pointed out in D & D, Willy Desjardins' record for his first 40 games as a Canucks coach is better than Boudreau 's first 40 games.  Go figure that one out (maybe the Sedins had something to do with it?)

Did he actually say that? That’s ridiculous they aren’t even the same team. Might as well use any other coach with a better record.

Maybe he is still trying to justify his original statement that Green was a great coach when compared to Boudreau. 
Drance is a hack. Social media guy turned into a NHL expert 

3 hours ago, mll said:

Boudreau's most trusted D in Minnesota was Spurgeon - barely 5'9 and 166' and smaller than Hughes.  He admitted to being very skeptical that he could matchup against top lines when he 1st saw him but was won over very quickly.  

Hunt is one of Boudreau's favourites.  Another undersized defenseman who may be getting a little too much ice time.  Because BB has a history coaching him in junior as well as with the Wild.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

7 hours ago, N7Nucks said:

Think his outside the box thinking got a little too fancy by playing Halak tonight. Wasn't his reasoning that he didn't want the Blues to see the same goalie twice in a row? Instead of just playing our starter in must win games.

Lol.  The CDC is a really good distraction , but i have to say - Bruce "there he goes" is already creeping in as the armchair coaches are already starting to gripe.   His OT records ... wish we still had Green etc.    Hope at least Allvin recognizes hed be scuttling next season if he pulls a JB and makes a ton of roster changed yet again.   Even the mighty Bruce wouldn't be able to overcome that.   Rinse and repeat.   Then we can make the big decisions hopefully not next TDL either. 

On 3/27/2022 at 9:39 PM, Googlie said:

what a perfectly typical and useless idea out of Drance. What did we ever do in this market to deserve that guy?