The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Proposal] [Trade] Hughes to the Devils

5 minutes ago, spook007 said:

While I obviously don't want Hughes to leave Vancouver, at least Timråfan is thinking outside the box...

We need to improve somehow, and we need cap and something of value to trade to obtain that. 

All the trade proposals goes around in circles, and somehow ends up at the starting point with not much difference...

When folks started to suggest Miller was traded to obtain the aforementioned, they were almost hailed as the anti christ, although its blatantly obvious, that we need surgery, if we want to become a contender. 

I also believe the core is Petey, Quinn and Demko, but atm if Miller or Bo aren't performing, we aren't winning....

So how do we improve, bearing in mind OEL and Myers won't be mored?

If you wanna think outside of the box, trade Petersson and a + if needed for this years 1st overall in Shane Wright.

Nothing against Pettersson but he's already showing he's not the sturdiest guy

• Vintage 1

7 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

If you wanna think outside of the box, trade Petersson and a + if needed for this years 1st overall in Shane Wright.

If we're going that route I'd rather back the truck up and go for Bedard next year.

• Vintage 1

Quinn Hughes is the single most impactful player I've seen in Vancouver, in 25+ years of fandom.

I have said this before, and I stand by it - Quinn will be captain in Vancouver one day.

Obviously NJ wants him to complete the trifecta. I genuinely believe our goal to be the fastest, most skilled team in the league could be achieved by uniting the Hughes brothers.

I'd be willing to do just about anything to make that happen.

Pettersson

JT Miller

OEL or Myers

Hoglander

1st 2022

(another pick?)

for 

J. Hughes

L. Hughes

Hamilton

(another cap dump?)

Edited by nergish

1 hour ago, LTC123 said:

You think QH is worth more?  

Best offensive d-man we've had in 50 years is worth a lot. I will say that NJ's 1st round pick is likely to be very high this year though. Even still, none of those pieces will probably be as good as Hughes, so we'd have to hope that the combined sum is. On top of that, I'm getting the feeling that Quinn's deal is going to end up being a steal, so he's on a good contract.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, nergish said:

Quinn Hughes is the single most impactful player I've seen in Vancouver, in 25+ years of fandom.

I have said this before, and I stand by it - Quinn will be captain in Vancouver one day.

Obviously NJ wants him to complete the trifecta. I genuinely believe our goal to be the fastest, most skilled team in the league could be achieved by uniting the Hughes brothers.

P

JT Miller

OEL or Myers

Hoglander

1st 2022

(another pick?)

for 

J. Hughes

L. Hughes

Hamilton

(another cap dump?)

Could we keep Pettersson and 2011 first round,    and get two Hughes?

Hughes is the best player we have. We don't trade him.

Oddly enough, his main weakness is puck management. He sometimes rushes the play unnecessarily.

So many times, we are up a goal and somehow he tries to thread a pass that gets turned over. He hates giving up the puck but sometimes, you gotta make the simple play and just chip the puck out instead of going for a pass that could either lead to a breakaway for us... or the other team if it gets turned over.

When we are down a goal, his decision making with the puck also becomes much poorer. This is understandable since he is trying to help us get a goal but I feel like he needs to learn to be more patient with the puck and wait for the right play to open up instead of forcing a pass that the opponent is waiting for you to make.

12 hours ago, Warhippy said:

Yes sure, that's kind of my point...

Again not advocating trading Petey, but feel we need to start thinking outside the box, as the trade proposals mostly shown, doesn't really make much difference to the team dynamics...

Most of us agree the team needs to get faster and bigger. On defence we need to get bigger, more mobile and tougher... trading dickinson, Pearson etc. won't do that, so we need to accept that something has got to give. 

one of the reason I applauded the club for getting JR in, was the idea of a fresh set of eyes, that wasn't as attached to any of the players, as we, the fans, are...

It will hurt to see either Bo, Miller, Hughes, Petey go (used to put Brock into that category, but don't think he'll fetch much, just like Garland). 

Changes probably needs to be made, and again don't think Pearson, Dickinson, Chiasson, Hunt or Poolman will be sufficient to find the Cap + returns needed. 

So to answer your question shortly, sure why not. Everyone should be in play if the prize is right...although the team has improved under Bruce.

Sorry @Elias Pettersson :)

• Huggy Bear 1
  • Vintage 1

19 hours ago, Warhippy said:

How do you know Shane Wright will be better than Petey?  Wasn’t Nico Hischier supposedly the best player in Petey’s draft?  

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

I wouldn't trade Hughes unless if he actually wanted a trade. In my opinion, by default the team who gets the best player in the trade wins the trade until other factors take part. We very much risk losing whatever trade we end up in if we trade Hughes.

I'd trade Pettersson before I traded Hughes to be honest. (though we'd still have the same issue I just mentioned in my 1st paragraph)

Edited by The Lock

20 hours ago, nergish said:

Pettersson

JT Miller

OEL or Myers

Hoglander

1st 2022

(another pick?)

for 

J. Hughes

L. Hughes

Hamilton

(another cap dump?)

I can’t see Jack or Luke coming to Van. Devils already have 2/3 of the brothers. Would be far easier for Quinn to make the move east, than the other way around. At the end of the day, it is a business. I can see Hughes becoming a Devil one day, but not at the height of his career. He’ll be a Canuck through and through until the twilight of his career.