The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

What do you believe is the prime reason we've missed the Playoffs this year?

Rate this topic

RU SERIOUS

What do you believe is the prime reason we've missed the Playoffs this year?  

192 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

6 hours ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

Green has hurt this team in a big way the last few years and we're finally seeing what a decent NHL coach can do with the pieces JB brought together. I know JB copped a lot of slack for his trades but they were all made to look much worse with bad coaching.

Now Bruce comes in and these players look like stars again, and our roster really hasn't changed much.

For me it's all Green. He should have been fired a long time ago, last off-season at the latest really. JB loses his job as a result of it.

Green is gonna have to work his way up the ranks again considering the job Bruce has done this season. Travis would be lucky to have a job scrubbing toilets in Rogers arena, let alone being an assistant coach anywhere in the big leagues. He's going to be an AHL level coach at least for the next 3-5 years

6 hours ago, spook007 said:

Greens persistence with Baumers train wreck of a PK was a massive reason... 

As you rightly stated, we were on course for worst PK of all times... shocking really.

Brock and Petey taking an extended leave didn't help neither obviously, but the team needed a change....big time. 

Small things like the belt or just motivational talks helped to get them going again... 

Anyway, just happy the hockey was much better to watch, cause the train wreck at the start of the season was off putting....

I'd play for Bruce and want him to be proud of me for sure.   Green have a personal connection (distant) know he's a really nice man and his family is well appreciated in the community.     So it probably affected that a little.   Was the wonder kid in High School who was going to win a cup for the town - super high hopes coming out of WinterHawks...lots of buzz about him in Grade 11.    "almost as good as Gretzky" lol ... know what kids are like and it was hard not to get wrapped up in it.    Played in a very rough and tough era as well.    I still have hopes he gets a job and redeems himself.   Bomber - my god that five man box got old fast in the bubble.    And Green made some serious mistakes with the guys in the pre-season.   Should have played the regulars and new guys to get them in sync, instead looking for the plugs.   Chia actually did work out in the end though - and Green did have us playing well 5 x 5.  Special teams terrible.   

• Cheers 2

Theres no doubt this team was behind the 8 ball early on. The players seemed to have tuned out of green, the poor start with Hughes and Petey out to start the year. 

The covid interruption really hurt this team as well. We had our momentum slashed by the pandemic restrictions again. Not much you can do about it.

Bruce made a huge difference in the way the team played and it showed in the win column, pretty good finish to the year after being written off so early.

Horvat impressed me again this season. If he isnt hurt the last 2 weeks he leads the team in goals again, Miller and Petey turned it on and they played great for the last 3/4 of the season.

Demko will carry this team on his back to the playoffs next season but with Martin as a back up instead of Halak he might not have to play 82 games.

The D needs improvement but they can play well under Bruces system. Team defense isnt all about the guys that have a D next to their name. The passive box that they played under Green was terrible hockey to watch and had almost no success.

Hughes might hit 100 himself next year. We need a better than we have RHD. Thats the biggest need i see as well as wingers with some size and skill .Someone to punish the opponents D up front.Like Bertuzzi used to do. Keep their heads up, Has Raffi Torres had a kid yet?

They play well enough 5 on 5. If the PK improves next season they will pick up enough points to make the playoffs. If Martin wins a few games as well we make the playoffs.

This roster isnt complete but its a lot closer than people give them credit. The core is good. To make the team great they will have to add a couple pieces. and possibly lose a couple as well. Theres a lot to look forward to for sure. Have a Great Summer CDC. See you in September.

One word GREEN.

For 2 years before he was fired these pages were filled with fans asking wtf kind of lousy system is Green employing here?  Passive .  One man forecheck. Give up the neutral zone.  Sit back in your own zone and wait for a puck to go off a shin pad before starting back out.

Absolutely ridiculous that he lasted as long as he did.

After the Canucks finished dead last in the Canadian division how in a million Sundays did Benning decide to make excuses for Green and give him a new 2 year contract with a raise? 

Wow.

• Cheers 3

7 hours ago, mikeyman109 said:

Theres no doubt this team was behind the 8 ball early on. The players seemed to have tuned out of green, the poor start with Hughes and Petey out to start the year. 

The covid interruption really hurt this team as well. We had our momentum slashed by the pandemic restrictions again. Not much you can do about it.

Bruce made a huge difference in the way the team played and it showed in the win column, pretty good finish to the year after being written off so early.

Horvat impressed me again this season. If he isnt hurt the last 2 weeks he leads the team in goals again, Miller and Petey turned it on and they played great for the last 3/4 of the season.

Demko will carry this team on his back to the playoffs next season but with Martin as a back up instead of Halak he might not have to play 82 games.

The D needs improvement but they can play well under Bruces system. Team defense isnt all about the guys that have a D next to their name. The passive box that they played under Green was terrible hockey to watch and had almost no success.

Hughes might hit 100 himself next year. We need a better than we have RHD. Thats the biggest need i see as well as wingers with some size and skill .Someone to punish the opponents D up front.Like Bertuzzi used to do. Keep their heads up, Has Raffi Torres had a kid yet?

They play well enough 5 on 5. If the PK improves next season they will pick up enough points to make the playoffs. If Martin wins a few games as well we make the playoffs.

This roster isnt complete but its a lot closer than people give them credit. The core is good. To make the team great they will have to add a couple pieces. and possibly lose a couple as well. Theres a lot to look forward to for sure. Have a Great Summer CDC. See you in September.

While I agree with you, that "we're missing a couple of pieces" away from making the playoff", unfortunately, I believe we are missing much more than "a couple of pieces" to actually push through deep in the playoffs and win a cup.    This team need major surgery over the next few years to actually have a chance of competeing for a cup.    I sure hope JR, Alvin & The Chipmunk Girls have higher long-term goals than just squeeking us in the playoffs.  That is not what the objective is - and we should never lose sight of that.   

No matter, I do agree that we'll have to take things in steps - one thing at at time and rebuild this team and that likely means that a Cup contending Vancouver Canucks team in a few years will not look at all like it does today.  So prepare yourself for major changes as this current Roster is far from being competitive for a cup.

Edited by RU SERIOUS
typo correction

BTW I find it hilarious thinking back on the media support for Green.  The eastern media was full of people laughing at the fans here who were upset with Green.  I can recall HNIC panels who sneered at us and laughed that we didn't know what we were talking about by being upset with Green's coaching. The local media jumped on board with a million takes on if Green is let go he would be hired immediately elsewhere.

It is nice to remember that the media hacks really don't know much.  They are sometimes  good for breaking a story but their analysis of Green was laughable in hindsight. How many have come out after the fact and said oops they were completely, obviously wrong...oh ya.  None. Lol.

2 hours ago, Fred65 said:

I keep asking myself even if we were to make the play-offs how would we fair in that type of game

If Demko wasn’t Double Bubble Boy we would get killed in heavy, fast hockey where compete is needed.  We have too many guys who play slow, soft hockey.  

• Cheers 1

3 hours ago, RU SERIOUS said:

While I agree with you, that "we're missing a couple of pieces" away from making the playoff", unfortunately, I believe we are missing much more than "a couple of pieces" to actually push through deep in the playoffs and win a cup.    This team need major surgery over the next few years to actually have a chance of competeing for a cup.    I sure hope JR, Alvin & The Chipmunk Girls have higher long-term goals than just squeeking us in the playoffs.  That is not what the objective is - and we should never lose sight of that.   

No matter, I do agree that we'll have to take things in steps - one thing at at time and rebuild this team and that likely means that a Cup contending Vancouver Canucks team in a few years will not look at all like it does today.  So prepare yourself for major changes as this current Roster is far from being competitive for a cup.

I dont think we are missing a couple pieces away from making the playoffs. Standing pat with exactly the same roster i think they would make it next year. and not by a point or two. I am glass half full here.

The biggest impact again that I believe they can make on the team is to find a RHD that can play defensive minutes. PK and against the other teams top guns. Sometimes thats a big name player, sometimes just a journeyman. Team defense is about the team buying into the system the coach plays. I think this group has  drank BBs Kool Aid and do what is needed. Having a solid bigger D man that plays it tough would help this group a lot. Preferably RHD.

As for up front We need someone in the Bertuzzi mold. Raffi Torres someone that can skate, back check and put a little heat on the oppositions defense. Keep their heads on a swivel. I dont like the smurf brigade we have now. Dries, Hoglander, Garland, Highmore,Lockwood, Petan, all are small and play small. Outside of Garland, I wouldnt be sad to see these guys replaced. Hoglander has been ok but if you could replace him with a 6'4 power forward I wouldnt complain about it. Petan should not see NHL ice again. the others are just AHL filler. This team is just too easy to play against. Not enough sandpaper. 

One thing and one step at a time we agree on. What those steps are we might debate.  I like the group they have Miller included. Demko with Martin as back up next season might produce a few more points. Depending on where we sit at the Trade Deadline next season we might be buyers for a change. I would like to see us grow the depth on D.

• Cheers 2

3 hours ago, Fred65 said:

I keep asking myself even if we were to make the play-offs how would we fair in that type of game

If Boudreau’s career coaching record holds then not as good as the regular seasons would be. 

On 4/30/2022 at 3:39 AM, filthycanuck said:

Green is gonna have to work his way up the ranks again considering the job Bruce has done this season. Travis would be lucky to have a job scrubbing toilets in Rogers arena, let alone being an assistant coach anywhere in the big leagues. He's going to be an AHL level coach at least for the next 3-5 years

I think the biggest thing keeping Green from getting another NHL job is his ego

HIs Head Coach or nothing stance will be hard for him to overcome and hard for an NHL team to accept

I think you are right

22 hours ago, fanfor42 said:

BTW I find it hilarious thinking back on the media support for Green.  The eastern media was full of people laughing at the fans here who were upset with Green.  I can recall HNIC panels who sneered at us and laughed that we didn't know what we were talking about by being upset with Green's coaching. The local media jumped on board with a million takes on if Green is let go he would be hired immediately elsewhere.

It is nice to remember that the media hacks really don't know much.  They are sometimes  good for breaking a story but their analysis of Green was laughable in hindsight. How many have come out after the fact and said oops they were completely, obviously wrong...oh ya.  None. Lol.

Its funny though that so many fans hate Drance because he is not always blindly positive about the team.

Donnie and Dahli talk about being denied access to the team if they rock the boat

the Canucks and the NHL are corporate controlling entities

Any media agreeing with "Fire the Owner" banners or planes will find themselves out of a job.

I don't recall, but I doubt the reaction was any different when it happened in Ottawa

and no one ever says anything publicly about Arizona

no one ever says X is a bad coach

Just to play the devils advocate here.  I do blame Green, who seemed to have been in over his head in the big leagues. Once the team actually had some top talent.

But no one will ever put blame the Golden Boy Petey, who had a horrendous start and over half the season. Perhaps it would be more fair to blame his wrist injury, plus lack of training camp. Its not like he didn't try out there.  But his dramatic drop in play I think shocked and affected the Lotto line mates as well.  Brock never did recover fully, other than a Bruce Bump when he first got here. It was such a stunning development that it had a domino effect on the rest of the team IMO.  Its like the rest of the team realized they didn't have that ace up their sleeve anymore in games. It affected overall team confidence. 

3 hours ago, kilgore said:

Just to play the devils advocate here.  I do blame Green, who seemed to have been in over his head in the big leagues. Once the team actually had some top talent.

But no one will ever put blame the Golden Boy Petey, who had a horrendous start and over half the season. Perhaps it would be more fair to blame his wrist injury, plus lack of training camp. Its not like he didn't try out there.  But his dramatic drop in play I think shocked and affected the Lotto line mates as well.  Brock never did recover fully, other than a Bruce Bump when he first got here. It was such a stunning development that it had a domino effect on the rest of the team IMO.  Its like the rest of the team realized they didn't have that ace up their sleeve anymore in games. It affected overall team confidence. 

Great point Re: EP40 and Brock. At least Petty got the wind back in his sails while brock not so much.   Unfortunately, brock has never been the same since his major injury - when he got slammed into the open gate - and doubt he ever will.  He has slowed down so much and doesn't do much else than shoot, so It's very likely he'll be unloaded, as I doubt JR wants to keep a slow, damaged, 20 goal guy in decline on the books for his expected $7,850,000 Million Q.O.    We can get alot better player than him for that sort of money - that's a certainty.   I certainly wish him well on his next team and hope he finds a home somewhere else. 

• Cheers 1

On 5/1/2022 at 6:54 PM, RU SERIOUS said:

Great point Re: EP40 and Brock. At least Petty got the wind back in his sails while brock not so much.   Unfortunately, brock has never been the same since his major injury - when he got slammed into the open gate - and doubt he ever will.  He has slowed down so much and doesn't do much else than shoot, so It's very likely he'll be unloaded, as I doubt JR wants to keep a slow, damaged, 20 goal guy in decline on the books for his expected $7,850,000 Million Q.O.    We can get alot better player than him for that sort of money - that's a certainty.   I certainly wish him well on his next team and hope he finds a home somewhere else. 

I agree about that unlucky open door injury for Boeser.  I remember cringing when I first watched it happen and hoping he didn't have ongoing issues. I hope no other GMs are reading this board.  :ph34r:

But Petey's cratering affected both linemates at the start of the seaason.  Miller recovered fairly soon. Some say Boudreau was the reason for the turnaround.  I think on the ice at least, it was Miller, even before Bruce was there (it is), who took the team on his back to take up Petey's slack. Bo got better and better. And Petey caught up, but a little too late for this season.

Edited by kilgore
  • Cheers 1

On 5/1/2022 at 3:01 PM, lmm said:

Its funny though that so many fans hate Drance because he is not always blindly positive about the team.

Donnie and Dahli talk about being denied access to the team if they rock the boat

the Canucks and the NHL are corporate controlling entities

Any media agreeing with "Fire the Owner" banners or planes will find themselves out of a job.

I don't recall, but I doubt the reaction was any different when it happened in Ottawa

and no one ever says anything publicly about Arizona

no one ever says X is a bad coach

Im OK with Drance, at least he's somewhat subjective. You may not agree with many of his points but he has facts to back it up. Satiah Shah is the absolutely the worst thing going for Canucks radio. He's taken the Canucks homer mantle from the formerly WORST radio personality (the Moj) and ran with it. My parents are super die hard Canucks fans and they shut the radio or tv off when Satiah Shah comes on. He has all these made up analytics/statistics crap that nobody cares about, and there seems to be a new one every week.

• Huggy Bear 1