The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] Devils open to trading 2022 1st-round pick

I understand most would disagree with me, but I would trade Miller straight across for New Jersey's 2022-1st, if Nemec or Jiricek were available at the draft...........but in saying that, I would be asking for more to start with.........

Something along the lines of...............

Miller

for

2022-1st (top 10) + Sharangovich

12 minutes ago, J.I.A.H.N said:

I understand most would disagree with me, but I would trade Miller straight across for New Jersey's 2022-1st, if Nemec or Jiricek were available at the draft...........but in saying that, I would be asking for more to start with.........

Miller

for

Why would NJ want Miller?

26 minutes ago, stawns said:

Why would NJ want Miller?

Not that I think that the Devils would be willing to give up the asking price but I will bite and give you 3 easy reasons.

-99 points in 80 games last year

-5.25 million dollars for his final year

-veteran leadership

A better question would be... can you give me any reasons (besides cost of acquisition) why 31 other teams wouldn't want Miller? 

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, coryberg said:

Not that I think that the Devils would be willing to give up the asking price but I will bite and give you 3 easy reasons.

-veteran leadership

A better question would be... can you give me any reasons (besides cost of acquisition) why 31 other teams wouldn't want Miller? 

To teams, that don’t succeed in these playoffs will possibly want Miller as a rental.  But we would be getting a very late first 17 to 26) and a couple prospects.  No building team will want Miller.  There’s too much risk in signing him to a long term deal and if he will be contributing at value (or close to value) during their winning window.  

1 hour ago, J.I.A.H.N said:

Miller

for

It is a really tough call, being in a position where it is smart long term to trade your biggest point producer is almost a no win situation.

I think at the very least they need a roster player back too, or an NHL ready prospect, or swap roster players as part of a package.

Nemec and Jiricek are picks expected in the 5-1” range.  They could be amazing or end up being Juolevi.  That is a huge risk to take for an established NHLer who just came off a top 10 finish in points.  Best case either of those prospects is a couple of years away from contributing is any significant way.

Maybe swap Poolman for Zacha 

or swap Myers and Severson in that deal…something along those lines.

Edited by Provost
  • Vintage 2

4 minutes ago, Provost said:

It is a really tough call, being in a position where it is smart long term to trade your biggest point producer is almost a no win situation.

I think at the very least they need a roster player back too, or an NHL ready prospect, or swap roster players as part of a package.

Nemec and Jiricek are picks expected in the 5-1” range.  They could be amazing or end up being Juolevi.  That is a huge risk to take for an established NHLer who just came off a top 10 finish in points.  Best case either of those prospects is a couple of years away from contributing is any significant way.

I'm not a fan of Zacha at all.  I'd look at including Rathbone for Bahl.  Sign Manson with the leftover cap:

Hughes-Manson

OEL-Myers

Bahl-Dermott

Myers becomes easier to move in the last year of his contract once the bonus is paid, leaving us with potentially:

Hughes-Manson

OEL-Nemec

Bahl-Woo

That's a pretty good defensive group.

• Upvote 1

31 minutes ago, coryberg said:

-veteran leadership

I suppose if they were going to re-sign him

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

I'm not a fan of Zacha at all.  I'd look at including Rathbone for Bahl.  Sign Manson with the leftover cap:

Hughes-Manson

OEL-Myers

Bahl-Dermott

Myers becomes easier to move in the last year of his contract once the bonus is paid, leaving us with potentially:

Hughes-Manson

OEL-Nemec

Bahl-Woo

I think our club sees Woo as an NHL fourth liner, energy, heavy body kind of guy.  He’s not played D four Abby is a long time.  Love to have him turn into a D, but it won’t be with our club.  

3 minutes ago, coryberg said:

-veteran leadership

As Hughes says it's now Nico's team.  They moved on from several vets because they wanted to pass the reins to the new generation.  Fitzgerald just explained that he named him last season despite him missing so much time because they know it takes time to grow into the role.  Not sure they'd want to have a Miller/Horvat situation where it sometimes feel like it's Miller's team more than Horvat's. 

NJD says there are plenty of teams around the league that have a lot of good players but those teams don't excel because they don't have the right culture. Poile in Nashville a few years ago felt that by pursing talent he didn't build a team and messed up chemistry.  

1 hour ago, J.I.A.H.N said:

Miller

for

you're selling low my friend. It would have to be unprotected for me to even think about it, and even then its only <9% chance at 1st, plus a roster player that matters like Severson.

45 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

Hughes-Manson

OEL-Myers

Bahl-Dermott

Hughes-Manson

OEL-Nemec

Bahl-Woo

The Zacha hype around here a few months ago was one of the more CDC things I had seen in awhile. Bunch of posters boasting about a couple highlight reels and completely contradicting the reports from people who actually watch the player play.

9 minutes ago, Shayster007 said:

The Zacha hype around here a few months ago was one of the more CDC things I had seen in awhile. Bunch of posters boasting about a couple highlight reels and completely contradicting the reports from people who actually watch the player play.

If we do trade Jersey Hughes (so they can have all three) what do we add to their 2022 first?  

1 hour ago, Provost said:

Good point...and I could go for that.

1 minute ago, J.I.A.H.N said:

a 100 point guy, who is heavy, and provides leadership......aka Hamilton (same thing) aka talented, heavy and provides leadership...........you have to have them!

So… the Canucks could use Miller?

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Me_ said:

Sure we could.  100 point, heavy game Miller got us to just miss the playoffs.  :towel:

Jersey, with 100 point heavy game Miller, could move from bottom five to 17th!  

There rebus next to zero chance a bottom team trades for Miller.  He will go to a top team that performs poorly in the playoffs.  Or Philly, because they are Dumbos. 

Edited by Alflives

Just now, Me_ said:

Yes, they could.....I get it! And you are not wrong, that is for sure!

But...........I think it really matters what JR sees in the prospect, and how long he thinks it will take him to get here.............. 

I always look at trades this way.................here is an example...........

Trade Boeser for a pick and a prospect, then use Boesers money to sign a UFA (don't get hung up on who...its just an example)

Then the asset valuation is..................

Boeser for Domi, a 1st and a prospect

• Cheers 1