The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Proposal] Van - NYR Trade

I'm in the boat that keeping JT Miller longterm is not worth it with the AAV and term his new contract will need along with his age. I think its best to recoup some assets and build towards the future.

Van Trades:

JT Miller

Jack Rathbone

NYR Trades:

Nils Lundkvist

Braden Schneider

2023 1st Rounder

2023 Conditional 2nd Rounder - Becomes a 2024 1st rounder if they resign Miller

The trade gives the Canucks 2 top tier RHD prospects and a first in next years deep draft. They get Schneider to pair with Huggy and Lundkvist to solidify the right side for the next decade.

NYR receives Miller and gets a LHD prospect to offset losing both RHD and gets an upgrade on Strome. Reason I thought Rathbone would be good to swap with the Rangers is they have Trouba and Fox on the right so eventually they have to get rid of someone while they can use Rathbone on the first or second pair interchangeably with K'Andre Miller.

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

I think adding Rathbone to the trade is a bad idea. He is looking to be a heck of a lot better than Lundkvist.

Also NYR do not appear to have the cap space available to extend Miller in 2023-24, so this would be a 1 season rental of Miller. Which means there'd be no 2nd coming back (I also think there's a rule that you can't have conditional picks on resigning nowadays).

So essentially we are downgrading Rathbone to Lunkvist, and then trading Miller for Schneider + a late 1st.

Not a very appealing return for VAN. But I will admit that is about all you can likely expect in return for a 1 year rental of Miller.

I wonder if NYR are regretting playing hardball on a Miller trade given how things are going for them in the playoffs

38 minutes ago, Canuckman2234 said:

I'm in the boat that keeping JT Miller longterm is not worth it with the AAV and term his new contract will need along with his age. I think its best to recoup some assets and build towards the future.

Van Trades:

JT Miller

Jack Rathbone

NYR Trades:

Nils Lundkvist

Braden Schneider

2023 1st Rounder

The trade gives the Canucks 2 top tier RHD prospects and a first in next years deep draft. They get Schneider to pair with Huggy and Lundkvist to solidify the right side for the next decade.

NYR receives Miller and gets a LHD prospect to offset losing both RHD and gets an upgrade on Strome. Reason I thought Rathbone would be good to swap with the Rangers is they have Trouba and Fox on the right so eventually they have to get rid of someone while they can use Rathbone on the first or second pair interchangeably with K'Andre Miller.

So firsts and their two best RHD prospects? I mean yes. Normally I'm opposed to magic beans but this is so lopsided even I can't say no.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, NUCKER67 said:

I'd be happy with

Miller and Myers

Schneider, Chytil, 2nd (2022), 1st (2023)

(Not saying yours in particular), deals like this are classic CDC, that's around $12 mil before re-signing Miller; Fox/ Trouba/ Myers must be the most expensive RHD corps in the league ($9.5 Fox, $8 Trouba, $6 Myers).  Then there's re-signing Kakko, Copp, replacing Strome... from the looks of it Miller alone looks tough to sell to the Rangers.

2 hours ago, Canuckman2234 said:

Van Trades:

JT Miller

Jack Rathbone

NYR Trades:

Braden Schneider

2023 1st Rounder

You will never get both Schneider and Lundkvist in trade... More realistic Lundkvist, I would rather have Schneider 20,6'2, RD

If Ranger get knocked out they really need JT Miller..Rangers key forwards are over 27.. They should of traded and had Miller for this playoff run..

Miller --

Lundkvist  22, RD, 5'11, Chytil 23, 6'3 -C , Kravtsov 23, 6'2 - W, --- ( Robertson  20, LD, 6'4  added no draft pick

Ranger only have  a few picks 2022  -1st rounder -- 4th rounder--5throunder 6th rounder

Any trade with the Rangers that includes Schneider is a non starter as they have said time and again that they weren’t moving him.  Back to the drawing board.

lol they probably didn't want to do schneider +1st last tdl.. now u want Schneider lundvist and 2 1st?? rathbone is a decent prospect.. but only in vancouver they are over the moon with this guy some are even saying he's similar/close to hughes lol

I like any form of the Miller for Schneider trade, but wonder what Miller's true value is. Looking around the league, Eichel was pretty much 3 x 1st round picks but he's young and "generational". Chychrun is around the same - the value of around 3 1sts.

Miller at 99 points, in his prime right now but getting older, is surely around the value of a 1st, prospect and player. The value of these 3 is probably 2 x 1sts and a 2-3rd (if we're being optimistic).

If that's the case, Schneider and Chytil are former 1st round mid-picks. Schneider + Chytil + a 2nd/3rd seems a fair haul for Miller and meets all the team needs on both sides.

I'd rather have Rathbone than Lundqvist because we've seen Jack put up a PPG in the AHL and he'll be ready to bust in on that bottom pairing as soon as next season. We could pair him with Schenn, Dermott or Myers and have a great little tandem. Meanwhile Chytil slips in as our much-needed 3rd line center.

In the ideal world (for me), we'd find a way to dump Poolman and most importantly Dickinson's cap to a random bottom feeder team where they still have some value (just not worth a combined 4.5M) and use that money to sign one of Tierney, Paul, Jarnkrok or Janmark to a 3M x 3y-ish deal for our true 3C, to let Chytil play wing.

Boeser - Pettersson - Podkolzin

Pearson - Horvat - Garland

Chiasson - Tierney - Chytil

Highmore - Lammikko - Hoglander

Lockwood

Hughes - Schneider

OEL - Myers

Rathbone - Schenn

Dermott

Burroughs

That is a very deep team with solid 13th forwards/7th defencemen for when injuries strike. We lose 99 points in Miller but gain a lot of it back in Tierney (hopefully hit 30 points with us, had an off-season last year) + Chytil (30 points, on pace for it last year) + Schneider (20 and that's being mean, he'll have loads more opportunities with Hughes) + Rathbone (20). Basically share the top line center wealth across the board where we need it most - depth center and defence.

11 hours ago, Phil_314 said:

(Not saying yours in particular), deals like this are classic CDC, that's around $12 mil before re-signing Miller; Fox/ Trouba/ Myers must be the most expensive RHD corps in the league ($9.5 Fox, $8 Trouba, $6 Myers).  Then there's re-signing Kakko, Copp, replacing Strome... from the looks of it Miller alone looks tough to sell to the Rangers.

Totally agree, the rags currently have 7.3 mil in cap space to start the off season needing to sign 2/3 of their second line, 3 of their bottom 6 and a back up goalie. Then on top of that we are trying to trade them a player making 5.25 mil and an RFA that will likely get close to 1 mil contract while taking back two ELCs. 

The rags are currently being humbled by the pens in the first round and if they do finish them off, what makes us think they would be interested in boosting their offense at the expense of good young defensemen? They have given up 7 goals in both of their last two games, doesn't really sound like an offense problem to me. 

On 5/9/2022 at 5:35 PM, Canuckman2234 said:

Van Trades:

JT Miller

Jack Rathbone

NYR Trades:

Nils Lundkvist

Braden Schneider

2023 1st Rounder

Rathbone and Fox were Harvard’s top D pairing a few years ago. So they’re buds.  I like Rathbone but OEL isn’t going anywhere with his contract and we need a top pairing right handed defencemen.  I’d rather trade Miller to NJD in a deal to get their pick. They said they’re looking for an impact player.   What would a deal look like?  Would the Canucks need to offer their own 15th overall pick as sweetener? Or do the Canucks just hold out until the draft and try to start a bidding war with teams that fail playoff expectations?  Pressure from ownership and fans make GMs make bad trades.  We’ve lived it with Benning maybe it’s our turn to fleece a team that thinks Miller is that one guy that can push them over the hump to win a cup.  

On 5/10/2022 at 6:48 AM, DownUndaCanuck said:

I like any form of the Miller for Schneider trade, but wonder what Miller's true value is. Looking around the league, Eichel was pretty much 3 x 1st round picks but he's young and "generational". Chychrun is around the same - the value of around 3 1sts.

Miller at 99 points, in his prime right now but getting older, is surely around the value of a 1st, prospect and player. The value of these 3 is probably 2 x 1sts and a 2-3rd (if we're being optimistic).

If that's the case, Schneider and Chytil are former 1st round mid-picks. Schneider + Chytil + a 2nd/3rd seems a fair haul for Miller and meets all the team needs on both sides.

I'd rather have Rathbone than Lundqvist because we've seen Jack put up a PPG in the AHL and he'll be ready to bust in on that bottom pairing as soon as next season. We could pair him with Schenn, Dermott or Myers and have a great little tandem. Meanwhile Chytil slips in as our much-needed 3rd line center.

In the ideal world (for me), we'd find a way to dump Poolman and most importantly Dickinson's cap to a random bottom feeder team where they still have some value (just not worth a combined 4.5M) and use that money to sign one of Tierney, Paul, Jarnkrok or Janmark to a 3M x 3y-ish deal for our true 3C, to let Chytil play wing.

Boeser - Pettersson - Podkolzin

Pearson - Horvat - Garland

Chiasson - Tierney - Chytil

Highmore - Lammikko - Hoglander

Lockwood

Hughes - Schneider

OEL - Myers

Rathbone - Schenn

Dermott

Burroughs

That is a very deep team with solid 13th forwards/7th defencemen for when injuries strike. We lose 99 points in Miller but gain a lot of it back in Tierney (hopefully hit 30 points with us, had an off-season last year) + Chytil (30 points, on pace for it last year) + Schneider (20 and that's being mean, he'll have loads more opportunities with Hughes) + Rathbone (20). Basically share the top line center wealth across the board where we need it most - depth center and defence.

I doubt Rathbone is going to get the PP ice time in Vancouver like he’s getting in Abby.  In that sense his numbers are a little inflated because Rathbone gets the majority of his points on the PP.  And he’s not going to get that opportunity with Hughes locked up to a 7 year deal.