• Flames in 5
    • Flames in 6
    • Flames in 7
    • Oilers in 4
    • Oilers in 5
    • Oilers in 6
    • Oilers in 7

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 05/21/2022 at 02:30 AM

2 minutes ago, Muttley said:

Not having Chris Tanev playing is hurting the flames as the series carries on. 

I honestly have a hard time seeing or thinking Tanev would survive this series the more physical it gets.

Injuries have never escaped him.

The only reason he had a relatively long regular season was because the Flames are a physical team and he can work amongst it.

But,.  Tanev rarely avoids a hit.. and he is not built for a physical game.

Thats what I’ve noticed about him most..

for someone who should have a good hockey IQ,   learning to avoid a check should be a priority for that player.

We would never have signed him for the contract he signed,.  Burroughs will prove to be a better D man honestly.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, SilentSam said:

I honestly have a hard time seeing or thinking Tanev would survive this series the more physical it gets.

The only reason he had a relatively long regular season was because the Flames are a physical team and he can work amongst it.

for someone who should have a good hockey IQ,   learning to avoid a check should be a priority for that player.

We would never have signed him for the contract he signed,.  Burroughs will prove to be a better D man honestly.

O-k then.

If Tanev makes it back into the series it may shift, otherwise I fear the Oilers are going to continue to steam roll Marky. He's getting eaten alive out there. I did honestly think Sutter's defence would have shut down the Oilers but in the BoA games this season they've all ended up being scoring fests for some reason and especially without their top shutdown guy it's a different story.

Edmonton at home is going to be a rough place for Markstrom.

• Upvote 1

I said it before the series, Mcdavid and the oil gives Markstrom nightmares. Even when he played for us I never felt comfortable with him in net against EDM. 

Mcdavid will feed off the home ice energy and skate circles on the fLames pylons in D in game 3 and 4, series will be over in 6 max. 

• Thanks 1

2 breakaways, 1 SHG and one just poor picking up of Draisaitl off the bench and the Flames blow a 2 goal lead.

Marky looked good during the regular season but it's often hard to differentiate goalie play from team defence play and right now you're seeing him getting eaten alive. The book is out on shooting high glove side but some of these goals are going in blocker side too and they're pretty clean shots. To be fair he's had high grade chances to deal with, plus McDavid who's on another level, but boy are his stats getting punished this series.

If Tanev doesn't return or Calgary can't find a way to at least slow McDavid down to 1 PPG, they're toast. Right now he's scoring at 2.2PPG which is almost exactly the same scoring rate Gretzky was at in his prime in Edmonton. Scary.

12 hours ago, SilentSam said:

Yeah I watched a lot of the Stars-Flames series and Tanev kept taking big hits over and over.  It was only a matter of time before he got injured.  

10 hours ago, CRAZY_4_NAZZY said:

The more I watch Zach Hyman, the more I really appreciate his game.

Works hard every shift, lots of speed, tenacious on and off the puck, gritty in all battles, and just dependable in every situation. I see Podkolzin molding his game a lot a high end Hyman.

Similar size, Hyman took until the age of 23 to break into the NHL (Podkolzin is 20).  

Podkolzin's numbers from his rookie year are almost identical to Hyman's from his second year (24 year old). I really think that Podz can be a better version of Hyman as you said.  Good comparison. 

15 hours ago, Trebreh said:

I said it before the series, Mcdavid and the oil gives Markstrom nightmares. Even when he played for us I never felt comfortable with him in net against EDM. 

Mcdavid will feed off the home ice energy and skate circles on the fLames pylons in D in game 3 and 4, series will be over in 6 max. 

Edmonton's D makes Calgary's D look like Norris candidates though.  The only NHL quality blueliners they have are Nurse and Keith, both of whom are awful in their own end.  Add in a geriatric starting goalie who gets rattled easily, and a backup who isn't even good enough to play in the ECHL, and both teams will be able to score at will.

• Cheers 1

Just now, King Heffy said:

Edmonton's D makes Calgary's D look like Norris candidates though.  The only NHL quality blueliners they have are Nurse and Keith, both of whom are awful in their own end.  Add in a geriatric starting goalie who gets rattled easily, and a backup who isn't even good enough to play in the ECHL, and both teams will be able to score at will.

I think Mcdavid/Drysaddle will out scores most of their deficiencies on defence/gk, Mcdavid is playing possessed... and Smith is such a jekyll and hyde type player you dont know what you're gonna get from him, sometimes he can pitch a shutout out of nowhere lol.

also people forget in game 1 Markstrom let in 6 goals. he's just as rattled as Smith is imo.