The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[WCF] Colorado Avalanche (C1) vs. Edmonton Oilers (P2) | Avalanche win series 4-0

Rate this topic

2022 Stanley Cup Playoffs | Conference Finals  

151 members have voted

1. 1. Who will win the series?

• Avalanche in 4
    • Avalanche in 5
    • Avalanche in 6
    • Avalanche in 7
    • Oilers in 4
    • Oilers in 5
    • Oilers in 6
    • Oilers in 7

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 06/03/2022 at 12:00 AM

28 minutes ago, Herberts Vasiljevs said:

What about Makar? That should put the Makar vs. Pettersson debate to bed on these forums (God love Petey).

What about Hughes vs. Makar?

To think people on here thought these two were equal.

• Haha 1

This sweep must cut deep for the Lames fans. I love the AB result but at least both made the show. Now to see what the Nucks can do next season... The Avs are a great team but their netminding is suspect for the final. Hopefully they can hoist the cup and start swing down. 

1 hour ago, Herberts Vasiljevs said:

What about Makar? That should put the Makar vs. Pettersson debate to bed on these forums (God love Petey).

1 hour ago, shiznak said:

What about Hughes vs. Makar?

To think people on here thought these two were equal.

Clearly Makar is the best of the three right now. But they are all still so young and have long careers ahead of them. Really no way to know for certain who will be the best, when all is said and done. Of course, my money’s on Makar, like most, but I’m not counting anyone out yet or closing the book on Petey or Hughes taking another step or too, and making the discussion interesting, when it comes to which player had the best overall career.

• Cheers 1

4 minutes ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

Clearly Makar is the best of the three right now. But they are all still so young and have long careers ahead of them. Really no way to know for certain who will be the best, when all is said and done. Of course, my money’s on Makar, like most, but I’m not counting anyone out yet or closing the book on Petey or Hughes taking another step or too, and making the discussion interesting, when it comes to which player had the best overall career.

IMHO Makar is a top 3-5 player in the world. Behind McDavid yes, MacKinnon, maybe, Matthews, maybe, Hedman, maybe. 

14 hours ago, DeNiro said:

True.

But once they had the core in place they still didn’t rush things.

They kept adding more and more talent through the draft and set themselves up to be extremely deep with trade pieces and future building blocks.

From the '04 lockout to the covid bubble they won 3 playoff series. All first round. They missed the playoffs 8 times. They're basically on rebuild #2 in that time. Moved on from Stastny, O'Reilly, Duchene, Barrie, Chris Stewart, Shattenkirk etc and THEN drafted Landy 2nd overall, Mackinnon 1st overall, Makar 4th overall and Byram 4th overall (duchene trade) Jost and Rantanen 10th overall. In 16-17 they finished with &^@#in 48 points! 

Personally I wouldn't call that a model rebuild. If that's the case we still have to move on from most of this team and start tanking. No thanks. 

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

Honestly, If the Oilers were to win a cup anytime soon it would of been this yr. No way I see them winning one any time soon. Kane gone - gonna chase the money, Nurse contract kicks in, Terrible D, Cap problems and mediocre goaltending..Yeah good luck! Back to reality.

• Cheers 1

17 minutes ago, JoshuaGuy said:

From the '04 lockout to the covid bubble they won 3 playoff series. All first round. They missed the playoffs 8 times. They're basically on rebuild #2 in that time. Moved on from Stastny, O'Reilly, Duchene, Barrie, Chris Stewart, Shattenkirk etc and THEN drafted Landy 2nd overall, Mackinnon 1st overall, Makar 4th overall and Byram 4th overall (duchene trade) Jost and Rantanen 10th overall. In 16-17 they finished with &^@#in 48 points! 

Personally I wouldn't call that a model rebuild. If that's the case we still have to move on from most of this team and start tanking. No thanks. 

Alot of people like to make claims as if they know the history of these current top teams. You sir are one of the few who clearly pay attention to the league.

Avs have done a wonderful job, but it's been a long slow climb for them with a lot of low points nearly everyone likes to ignore 

17 minutes ago, Mustard Tiger said:

Alot of people like to make claims as if they know the history of these current top teams. You sir are one of the few who clearly pay attention to the league.

Avs have done a wonderful job, but it's been a long slow climb for them with a lot of low points nearly everyone likes to ignore 

Yeah, there's no one single way to build a championship team.  A lot of it comes to building from within, building to the strengths of the team, and honestly, a LOT, LOT, LOT of luck. 

Colorado sucked the right year.  One year earlier, and they would have Nail Yakupov instead of Nathan Mackinnon.  

In 2017, they also fell in the draft.  Had they won the lottery, they would have had Nico Hischier or Nolan Patrick (let's face it, those 2 guys were the BPAs that any team would have picked 1OA). 

Those 2 single events would have completely revamped this Avs team as we know it and they wouldn't be in the finals right now.

• Vintage 2

3 hours ago, D-Money said:

Jeez, tough crowd. McDavid carrying that defence and that goaltending this far is as impressive as most guys who actually win Stanley Cups. Because the guys who win always have a stacked team behind them.

How many cups did Gretzky win without a team full of hall-of-fame guys? His “supporting cast” won another one without him, but he never got another without them.

compare McBaby to Crosby, who is a much more complete player. Wayne was a different era, guys still smoked between periods and you could ice guys who's only role was to kill someone if they got within 10 feet of Wayne. 

1 hour ago, JoshuaGuy said:

My point is they could have cut corners with all those high picks and extra depth but they didn’t. 

I never said they didn’t have a long period of downs. But when they started trending the right way after that season they just kept adding. Didn’t trade away firsts and young stars like the Oilers did to try and fill in the holes.

No one can deny that patience isn’t a big reason why they are set up to be serious contenders for the next 5 years at least.

6 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

My point is they could have cut corners with all those high picks and extra depth but they didn’t. 

I never said they didn’t have a long period of downs. But when they started trending the right way after that season they just kept adding. Didn’t trade away firsts and young stars like the Oilers did to try and fill in the holes.

No one can deny that patience isn’t a big reason why they are set up to be serious contenders for the next 5 years at least.

Like the Oiler’s did, I think we can look closer to home than Edmonton. Like Benning did works even better. 

4 minutes ago, DrJockitch said:

Like the Oiler’s did, I think we can look closer to home than Edmonton. Like Benning did works even better. 

Sure, but we didn’t trade a former 1st overall pick that went to on to win the Hart the following season.

We didn’t trade a 1st round pick that ended up being used to draft Barzal for a dud defenseman 

The first round picks that we traded brought us real value in Miller, Garland, and OEL that can all still be traded to recoup assets.

The Oilers gave away good young talent for nothing. That’s the big difference.

Edited by DeNiro

29 years of Bettman, and no Canadian team has won the cup.  

Yes, The Canadians won it the year Bettman started - but he hadn't time to put his fingers in the pie yet (Started Feb 1993).

EDM tweety guy talking about moving Barrie. Who takes his 4.5 mil salary? Doesn't put up many points in the playoffs and we've all seen him "defend."

They might have to pay to move him. 

1 hour ago, JM_ said:

compare McBaby to Crosby, who is a much more complete player. Wayne was a different era, guys still smoked between periods and you could ice guys who's only role was to kill someone if they got within 10 feet of Wayne. 

Crosby had much better teams behind him too. His goalies put up .920 and .929 save percentages when they won back-to-back cups.

The team then lost some talent, and guess what happened? The Oilers have won more playoff rounds in the last 5 years than the Penguins.